New rules for wheelchair users

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

My flex plus insurance is also due for renewal in October and I am also waiting for official confirmation of some test results.  I rang the Aviva line yesterday and even though my data has not yet been passed over to them( it goes 30 days before renewal date) they did provide me with a provisional quote which was only slightly higher than last year. However the 5 day extension to cover the 35 nighter in January was £175, which seemed a bit steep, but overall it's a still lot better than anything else  and there is no extra now for the age extension.

That’s good to hear John. Interestingly, the letter I had today (from Aviva) was specifically about medical disclosures and add-ons and it states that under data protection U.K. Insurance are not allowed to pass on any previously declared medical conditions, so you have to start from scratch. As mentioned in my last post, time is on our side thankfully, so I can see how the £216 base premium plus add-ons compares to other providers.

2 hours ago, Golfwidow100 said:

I'm also with Staysure and I was really surprised at the outcome. I'm sorry to hear that you are in a catch 22 situation and don't blame you for looking for a new provider. I hope you and your husband don't have to wait too much longer for your results. 

I was quite expecting cover to be severely restricted and therefore making it too risky to travel. At the end of the call, I asked the advisor to clarify once again and she reiterated there is no change to my existing cover but I would need a 'fit to travel' letter from my GP. As my GP is aware that I will be travelling overseas, I am keeping my fingers crossed there's no issue in obtaining one. 

11 years ago, I had extensive surgery to my foot and ankle and was on crutches for around 4 months. I had a cruise booked for 7 months after the planned date but as the surgery was cancelled twice, it finally went ahead with only a couple of months to go. I was back to work, albeit on crutches, and was going from Southampton to Southampton on a 7 night cruise.

My insurer at the time, cancelled my policy but luckily I did manage to find another provider Travel insurance is one of the few things in life that I find very stressful!

That is so strange that you have had a different outcome to me from the same provider. I still can’t understand why they won’t cover me for things I’ve had for years, just because I’m awaiting a diagnosis for something that’s completely unrelated.  I had an appointment for an eye scan in June but it was cancelled due to the technician being off sick. I’ve got another appointment in a couple of weeks, so I’m hoping to get some sort of resolution soon. 

I never used to find travel insurance stressful, but that was before we started getting things wrong with us. Now it seems like a minefield! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Funnily enough I’ve been put on statins as a precaution, and I will certainly be declaring that. I’m quite pleased about that though. I was chatting to a consultant anaesthetist (socially) the other day and he said that it is advisable for everyone of around 60 and over to be on them. As well as reducing the risk of heart attacks and strokes, there is apparently growing evidence that it can also lessen your chances of getting vascular dementia. With all of that taken into consideration, being on statins should therefore reduce your risk (and premium) but, as we all know, the world of insurance works in the completely opposite direction 😂 

Doctors seem very keen to throw statins at patients. My husband’s cholesterol was high last year and the GP wanted for put him on statins, but he declined, as he wanted to see if he could sort it out himself, by improving his diet. He’s done this successfully, and now keeps his cholesterol at ‘normal’ levels.

He’s had dealings with hospital doctors this year as he had to have a huge abscess drained - they all seemed pretty gobsmacked that, at the age of 72 he’s not on any regular medication 

Edited by Dermotsgirl
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Doctors seem very keen to throw statins at patients. My husband’s cholesterol was high last year and the GP wanted for put him on statins, but he declined, as he wanted to see if he could sort it out himself, by improving his diet. He’s done this successfully, and now keeps his cholesterol at ‘normal’ levels.

He’s had dealings with hospital doctors this year as he had to have a huge abscess drained - they all seemed pretty gobsmacked that, at the age on 72 he’s not on any regular medication 

I can understand their surprise my mum was admitted to hospital very poorly at 96 and took no regular medication.  When she was about 90 her new GP made a house call to check on her as she couldn’t believe she wasn’t taking anything. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

He’s had dealings with hospital doctors this year as he had to have a huge abscess drained - they all seemed pretty gobsmacked that, at the age on 72 he’s not on any regular medication 

It’s the only medication I’m on but, as mentioned previously, statins seem to be an extremely good thing to be on

so, in my case, I’m more than happy about it. Anything that reduces the risk of heart attacks, strokes or (potentially) dementia gets my vote!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Can I ask what insurance company you are with? 

I’m with Staysure - back in January my optician referred me as a glaucoma suspect. I did what I thought was the right thing, and advised Staysure. They won’t cover me for anything glaucoma related until I get a diagnosis. Also they won’t cover me for any of my pre-existing conditions until I get the glaucoma diagnosis! Fortunately, the pre-existing conditions that I declared are very unlikely to cause any issues and I’m currently only travelling in the U.K. 

However, if I had cover for a pre existing serious illness, this could be taken away if I declared a referral for something completely unrelated, which is not ideal.

Like Selbourne, my husband is awaiting the outcome of tests, he’s been waiting for two months now. I haven’t even bothered to contact Staysure yet until I’ve got more information - fortunately the renewal date isn’t until April.

As a result of this I’ll be looking for a new insurer in April

A few weeks ago I had the misfortune of tripping on an uneven pavement which resulted in two minor breaks to my jaw. I attended the hospital and after 12 hours of waiting around I had two CT scans one on my head and one on my jaw. I was then advised that they weren’t going to wire my jaw as they were minor breaks (whatever that is) and they would heal on their own but to eat soft and puréed food for four weeks and they discharged me. I rang my insurance company and was eventually told (after being put on hold several times) that I would have to pay an additional £100 as we are departing Southampton on 4th October. I paid this reluctantly, but thought it exorbitant. They then went on to look at a cruise we have booked in July 2025 and said that the insurance would be loaded with another £227.50. They were adamant that was correct, I then asked how they could justify that cost as the breaks are healed now (I’ve actually had an X-ray at the dentist) and the cruise is in 10 months time but they wouldn’t even discuss it and put the phone down on me. I then rang back and spoke to a young lady, she agreed that it didn’t make any sense and told me not to pay at the moment and she would raise it with the complaints department, which she has done. This is definitely one insurance company I won’t be using in the future.

• Like 6

I’m happy to report that test results are negative and I have been able to take out a new insurance policy. Unfortunately we can only have European cover so the second half of our back to back has been cancelled at a loss of £800 deposit but considering that we were anticipating bad news we are just happy and relieved that all is well and at least we are still able to cruise. Counting our blessings. I hope that Selbourne will also have a good outcome. 

Edited by sandancer
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, sandancer said:

I’m happy to report that test results are negative and I have been able to take out a new insurance policy. Unfortunately we can only have European cover so the second half of our back to back has been cancelled at a loss of £800 deposit but considering that we were anticipating bad news we are just happy and relieved that all is well and at least we are still able to cruise. Counting our blessings. I hope that Selbourne will also have a good outcome. 

Very glad you are sorted and well which is of course the main thing.  I assume it is a renewal with the same company? If you are being denied the second part of the cruise due to your medical situation does your existing insurance policy not cover you for cancellation and the £800 loss?  It is certainly worth discussing with your insurer - I do not recall if you mentioned who they are but most companies would certainly look favourably on your cancellation unless your policy had expired completely before the test result came in.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sandancer said:

This unfortunately is the case. Policy was about to be renewed when the situation arose. As required I called to advise about the tests and they immediately cancelled the renewal. No discussion. I have changed companies. 

So your policy had no time left on it, not even a day? They are at liberty to cancel the renewal but in most cases if you have even 24 hours left on it your policy pays out for the cancellation.  

May I ask which company this was, as they sound like one we should all be avoiding!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Selbourne said:

That’s good to hear John. Interestingly, the letter I had today (from Aviva) was specifically about medical disclosures and add-ons and it states that under data protection U.K. Insurance are not allowed to pass on any previously declared medical conditions, so you have to start from scratch. As mentioned in my last post, time is on our side thankfully, so I can see how the £216 base premium plus add-ons compares to other providers.

Just out of interest I used a comparison site to see how much travel insurance would be with them. Only one company was prepared to offer us annual world wide travel insurance with our pre-existing conditions, at the bargain prices of £13, 800 essential at only £2m medical cover,  classic at £15400  only £7.5m medical cover, and ultimate at £20400, £10m medical cover.

So a bargain for the top level to cover the P&O reqt of £10m, at only 50+ times the Nationwide offer!!! 🙄😬

• Haha 5

Yes I looked at world wide cover for when my Nationwide finishes next month. Only had one quote from comparison site for cruise cover and was £550 for just Europe I am 65 and no health disclosures. So even with 5 x extra payments for cruise  cover per annum and the increase monthly charge I will still be up on the deal so probably will

stay with Nationwide and just pay the monthly charge and the extra cover as and when. 9 nights Europe next month is £23 50 

Edited by Winifred 22

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

So your policy had no time left on it, not even a day? They are at liberty to cancel the renewal but in most cases if you have even 24 hours left on it your policy pays out for the cancellation.  

May I ask which company this was, as they sound like one we should all be avoiding!

Policy expired before test results were received. Can’t see any insurance company paying out under those circumstances. 

52 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Just out of interest I used a comparison site to see how much travel insurance would be with them. Only one company was prepared to offer us annual world wide travel insurance with our pre-existing conditions, at the bargain prices of £13, 800 essential at only £2m medical cover,  classic at £15400  only £7.5m medical cover, and ultimate at £20400, £10m medical cover.

So a bargain for the top level to cover the P&O reqt of £10m, at only 50+ times the Nationwide offer!!! 🙄😬

Wow John, that makes the £6,000 we were asked for a bargain. Unfortunately Nationwide will no longer offer cover due to medical conditions. Fortunately I’ve found a company who will cover us for Europe. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Policy expired before test results were received. Can’t see any insurance company paying out under those circumstances. 

Ahh I understand now.  I thought you notified them that you had tests during the policy period and they cancelled the policy and said no renewal would be offered.

On 9/24/2024 at 12:37 PM, SoosieSoo said:

I have booked with Ambassador, I cruised with them in October 2023 to North Africa and now I am booked for Norway in October next year. They are inexpensive and have a good drinks package, which is important to me as I drink like a fish 🙂

On 9/24/2024 at 2:08 PM, SoosieSoo said:

Ambassador also acknowledge that if you are travelling with an able bodied companion then they can help you rather than a member of staff.

I would have thought that anyone who ‘drinks like a fish’ would need the help of an able bodied companion!