Questions

Dolebludger

In my cruise research, I went to Saga’s web site and researched some cruises — both ocean and river. Following the online booking, I came upon the requirement that guests be UK  residents with a UK passport. We are not. We are US residents with US passports. So I ask, would we be allowed to cruise Saga?

I’m sure you can, years ago it had to be through an agent but I don’t know if this is still the case. I don’t think you will get the included travel insurance and as you don’t live in the UK then you would obviously not get the included chauffeur transfer to and from your home either.

We shared a car with a Spanish resident although she probably still had a UK passport. We picked her up from her son's house so she got the free transport from there.

The car was running late & he couldn't get through to her as he didn't have a UK number or mobile for her. He had her Spanish mobile.

The online booking is very limited, I always end up calling them with the cruise details down to the online price on a screen for reference.

Posted (edited)

Yes, and thank you for the response. I was looking mainly looking at river cruises in Europe and didn’t see the chauffeured transfer mentioned, but did see that for ocean cruises. Didn’t expect it for us! But, for the river cruises, there was included flights to and from the cruise from and to London Heathrow. Now that would be important to us, because United has direct flights from LHR to Denver, leaving us with a short commuter flight to our home in Durango, Colorado. So, to us, the saga river cruises looked attractive compared to those of other lines advertised in the US, even after I converted UK Pounds to $US dollars.

And I found Saga’s web site rather limited on information. One thing missing (to me) was an email link. If I had that, I would ask Saga my questions. Thanks again.

Edited by Dolebludger

If you click on the details of a particular cruise when the Saga office is closed (UK times), you will see a button that says ‘request a call back’. Clicking on that will take you to a form to fill in with your details. Saga will then call you back and you can ask any questions you wish. Unless you are UK residents you cannot take the included insurance but you will have the cost of that deducted from your fare. You will be able to arrange the included UK travel service eg from a hotel to the departure point. Some of the river cruises use the Eurostar train from St Pancras.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

In my cruise research, I went to Saga’s web site and researched some cruises — both ocean and river. Following the online booking, I came upon the requirement that guests be UK  residents with a UK passport. We are not. We are US residents with US passports. So I ask, would we be allowed to cruise Saga?

Yes you would. I live in Australia, having emigrated from the UK. We have booked a Saga ocean cruise in June, since we will be in the UK visiting family.

As others have said, we do not get the benefit of the included insurance as we are non-resident but got a very small credit for that element. We have taken out our own separate insurance. I booked by telephone 😊👍 

I still have a UK passport but am using my Australian passport for the cruise because the UK one doesn't have 6 months validity left on it, so I don't think that it would matter if you are not a UK citizen.

Edited by Nicstids
Additional information

You will most definitely be welcome, but you may have to book over the 'phone.

I think this is partly because of the insurance (you will have to have your own) and partly because they need to check the passport requirement.

I have met several Americans (and Canadians) on Saga ships, so a non-UK passport is not a problem.

There has been a thread about this before, including the included transport from overnight hotel, but (annoyingly) I can't find it.

22 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Yes, and thank you for the response. I was looking mainly looking at river cruises in Europe and didn’t see the chauffeured transfer mentioned, but did see that for ocean cruises. Didn’t expect it for us! But, for the river cruises, there was included flights to and from the cruise from and to London Heathrow. Now that would be important to us, because United has direct flights from LHR to Denver, leaving us with a short commuter flight to our home in Durango, Colorado. So, to us, the saga river cruises looked attractive compared to those of other lines advertised in the US, even after I converted UK Pounds to $US dollars.

And I found Saga’s web site rather limited on information. One thing missing (to me) was an email link. If I had that, I would ask Saga my questions. Thanks again.

You could try this email, it’s for after booking but they can always forward it onto the right department rivercruise.postsales@saga.co.uk

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2024 at 9:25 PM, Dolebludger said:

Whilst slightly off topic as this is a Saga board, if European river cruises are your interest and it would be convenient for you to fly from London you might also consider another UK company Riviera. I have taken river cruises with both them and Saga and they are of a similar standard. Their website is https://www.rivieratravel.co.uk/

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 12:35 PM, Dolebludger said:

I am a US citizen living in the US (West Coast). I finally took my first Saga ocean cruise(s) last Spring after years of waiting. As Covid was retreating and cruising starting back up, there were issues around non-residents cruising with Saga as they required a 10-day quarantine for anyone coming into the country -- or even from non-contiguous British Isles. Now the residency requirement is just for insurance. You will get a small discount for refusing the insurance and will need to get your own from a US insurer. (A much more expensive option, believe me.)

I am prepping now for a summer 2024 pair of Saga cruises. I've booked a pair for 2025. And just this morning, I pre-registered for 2026! You will be welcome.

• Like 1