My on-line check in experience today, maybe helpful to some

bruce85

We sail next month on the Seashore and today was 30 days out, which means check in!! When I tried to check in this morning before work at 4am, it allowed me to do page one, passport info, contact info etc. Then on page two, I got to select my arrival time, which at that time 11am was available. No problems so far. Next was the photo, no option to upload only take photo. I'm on my desktop so I can't take a photo on there anyway. But when I click the photo link, it just freezes. After a few minutes I back out and have to re-enter all the info again only to get to the photo again and another freeze. I tried all this one more time, because I want that 11am boarding time (yea I know it don't matter, they don't care, just me) only for it to freeze again. So, after work this afternoon I try again, same story no luck.

So, I call them. On hold for less than a minute, get checked in and have my EDocs in my mailbox 5 minutes later. I asked the lady why it was freezing during the photo. She asked me if I was checking in on my phone or a laptop? She informed me that they disabled the photo up-load option, and now you have to take a selfie. She told me not to worry about photo, they would take one at the port. I already knew this as the photo I use to upload is never accepted at the port, but it has always done me for check in process. 

After I got off the phone, I went into the MSC app on my phone and went back into the check in, this time I click photo and a selfie screen opened and lead me though the process of taking the photo. Very easy, also got to select my boarding time of noon (I'll still be there at 11) which the lady on the phone could not select for me. 

I know there is issues with the website, and maybe all this has been discussed on that thread, but I thought I would share. My advive if checking in use the MSC phone app. Happy sailing everyone!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That was my experience also. I was the only one of the four traveling together who took the selfie. You are correct that they will retake the photo at the port. Why go through this online in the first place...RRR MSC's poor technology.

In reality, you can go whenever you wish to the port. Three years in a row (last time March 3) and no one asked to see the time on the docs. As someone else reported, the Seashore's muster drill is insane, with EVERYONE required to watch the video at the exact same time, call on the phone, and then run down to your muster station to verify.  The crowds were insane and dangerous on the stairs as the elevators were locked/controlled. MSC needs to observe how other lines calmly stagger the muster throughout the day.

16 hours ago, bruce85 said:

We sail next month on the Seashore and today was 30 days out, which means check in!! When I tried to check in this morning before work at 4am, it allowed me to do page one, passport info, contact info etc. Then on page two, I got to select my arrival time, which at that time 11am was available. No problems so far. Next was the photo, no option to upload only take photo. I'm on my desktop so I can't take a photo on there anyway. But when I click the photo link, it just freezes. After a few minutes I back out and have to re-enter all the info again only to get to the photo again and another freeze. I tried all this one more time, because I want that 11am boarding time (yea I know it don't matter, they don't care, just me) only for it to freeze again. So, after work this afternoon I try again, same story no luck.

So, I call them. On hold for less than a minute, get checked in and have my EDocs in my mailbox 5 minutes later. I asked the lady why it was freezing during the photo. She asked me if I was checking in on my phone or a laptop? She informed me that they disabled the photo up-load option, and now you have to take a selfie. She told me not to worry about photo, they would take one at the port. I already knew this as the photo I use to upload is never accepted at the port, but it has always done me for check in process. 

After I got off the phone, I went into the MSC app on my phone and went back into the check in, this time I click photo and a selfie screen opened and lead me though the process of taking the photo. Very easy, also got to select my boarding time of noon (I'll still be there at 11) which the lady on the phone could not select for me. 

I know there is issues with the website, and maybe all this has been discussed on that thread, but I thought I would share. My advive if checking in use the MSC phone app. Happy sailing everyone!!!

Well, thanks for the heads up.  So we tried to do our check-in for Seascape 3/30.  We're big MSC YC long-termers, fully understand the IT weaknesses that do exist.

We used our laptop, not the APP (probably preferable).

First, trying to enter some of the passenger information was odd.  They already had such information for one of us but not the other and vice versa for input fields (as well as we are VC members).  Some input fields wouldn't let us key anything in unless we 'exited the previous input using the TAB' and/or hovering the arrow to an acceptable 'spot on the input filed space!'  🤪

Second, the PHOTO snapshot wouldn't work and message that our settings-privacy-camera needed to be adjust to accept MSC.  Pretty experienced at this from other cruises and other purposes; their access never 'populated' in the add option.  AFTER 25 TRIES I gave up and called waiting for the correct instruction 'help with web check-in' number.  Got a person right off, she said no problem, will do at port, it's been having problems for months and they are working on it.  😲

So, got what we could done.

No eDocs received at all.  If none by tomorrow will contact again and request.

We cruise MSC for the Yacht Club!

51 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Well, thanks for the heads up.  So we tried to do our check-in for Seascape 3/30.  We're big MSC YC long-termers, fully understand the IT weaknesses that do exist.

We used our laptop, not the APP (probably preferable).

First, trying to enter some of the passenger information was odd.  They already had such information for one of us but not the other and vice versa for input fields (as well as we are VC members).  Some input fields wouldn't let us key anything in unless we 'exited the previous input using the TAB' and/or hovering the arrow to an acceptable 'spot on the input filed space!'  🤪

Second, the PHOTO snapshot wouldn't work and message that our settings-privacy-camera needed to be adjust to accept MSC.  Pretty experienced at this from other cruises and other purposes; their access never 'populated' in the add option.  AFTER 25 TRIES I gave up and called waiting for the correct instruction 'help with web check-in' number.  Got a person right off, she said no problem, will do at port, it's been having problems for months and they are working on it.  😲

So, got what we could done.

No eDocs received at all.  If none by tomorrow will contact again and request.

We cruise MSC for the Yacht Club!

Tried the APP route.  🤨

Got the APP download, but couldn't log in using our MSC VC member log in, had to log in 'with confirmation number.' 

Then had to RE ENTER EVERY BIT - - 100% - - OF OUR INFORMATION. A nasty navigation, the TAKE PHOTO did work 😒  Took iPhone screenshots of Boarding Passes.  

Asked (selected) 'Send Travel Documents' EMAIL - Error (over and over).  Gave up.  😔

We've sailed MSC a lot of B2Bs in Yacht Club for years.  

This is first MSC cruise since the pandemic.  

We sail MSC for the Yacht Club.

The IT, website and APP (for pre-cruise) are simply terrible.

Sorry.