Cake Party?

Here's Holland America's press release from last fall when the company announced the event. It will answer lots of questions:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cake-me-away-presents-pastry-team-favorites-in-new-dessert-extravaganza-for-guests-on-holland-america-line-cruises-301991185.html

At our recent formal dinner on the world cruise, I was hosted by the pastry chef (who wants a senior officer when you can dine with the pastry chef?!). He said it has been very popular, among passengers and among his team of chefs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

One of the strengths of the Holland America baked products is that nearly all of it from basic hamburger buns and breads to cakes are made on board.  I think that the only thing that I have seen that is purchased are some gluten free products.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

@nooligans I thought the same thing - your picture looks like the serving utensils are on the "public" side of the serving line. Are the servers on that side? The same side as the passengers?

Yes, the servers were on the same side. There is a line of passengers (in front and behind me), and the servers move from cake to cake to plate whichever cake you would like to try.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jlawrence01 said:

One of the strengths of the Holland America baked products is that nearly all of it from basic hamburger buns and breads to cakes are made on board.  I think that the only thing that I have seen that is purchased are some gluten free products.

I don't understand why they serve the same boring two or three breads in the MDR each cruise.  At least specialty restaurants get a few different choices.

11 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

"Will power"? Is that a new idiom being used? Something scary about the expression.

It makes perfect sense. I will summon the power to button these slacks.

• Haha 5

24 minutes ago, Woofbite said:

I don't understand why they serve the same boring two or three breads in the MDR each cruise.  At least specialty restaurants get a few different choices.

I was disappointed in the bread selection at dinner. But as the cruise went on, I decided it was a good thing, as it kept me from eating excess carbs at dinner. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, POA1 said:

It makes perfect sense. I will summon the power to button these slacks.

Tsk. An experience cruiser like you should know that you save your loosest clothing for the end of the cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2024 at 4:46 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

This is the list from last month on Zaandam

L2090925.JPG

Based on this list, there are about 8 that I'd like to try.  Good thing that all of my cruise outfits have elastic waist bands.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I have a fridge magnet that says "Life is short, eat dessert first."

ha…yep that’s me 🤣🤣🤣 i do eat desert first🤣. and as I get even  older Im having that second scoop of ice cream. May have to walk a farther that day, but Yep I agree life is too short. Eat dessert first😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I have a fridge magnet that says "Life is short, eat dessert first."

Many, many years ago my mother used to tell a story that when she was young (early 1920s) she saved her cake carefully to savor at the end. One night her brother snuck under the table and swiped her cake. So, there is logical, verifiable reason for this philosophy!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...