Thanksgiving Cruises

tulok

8 hours ago, capriccio said:

We always spend Thanksgiving week with family but if you wait until the following week to cruise you can score good deals and share the ship with many fewer fellow passengers.  We've gotten great prices on cruises departing between the week after Thanksgiving and mid-December. 

Air is a killer the week after (flying on Thanksgiving weekend). I agree about cruises the first of December.

I think the key point here is that the OP is looking for a fun distraction from their “empty nest” situation on the holiday which I totally understand. Our one Thanksgiving with both kids elsewhere was the most depressing holiday I have ever endured. I don’t care how crowded, noisy, or chaotic the ship might be or how less than stellar the Thanksgiving feast is - I would have much rather been on a fun and festive cruise that day surrounded by happy and celebrating fellow passengers - even the rude pushy ones! It sure would have been nicer than staring at photos of my babies and feeling sorry for myself!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/17/2024 at 8:29 AM, tulok said:

I know this is a holiday based in the US, but anyone that has cruised during the week of Thanksgiving, is it usually crowded, with a lot of families?

yes! We always cruise on Thanksgiving, in the Caribbean. Lots of families, lots of kids on 7-8 day itineraries, but not so many on 10 day itineraries (very geriatric by comparison).

We never found it to be awful - we love it.

@tulok

you can see my 2022 review in my signature if interested.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 2

We've sailed over Thanksgiving many times over the years - always to Mexico since we're based in LA. We've done 5, 7 and 10 day voyages. We decided a few years ago we'd had enough. There's way too many kids and many are running wild all over the ship without supervision. There's also a lot of large family groups who take up large amounts of chairs at the pool, play their own music from a speaker, etc.