Hong Kong DIY

cleobella

We will be in Hong Kong 2 days pre cruise.  I'd like to book a private day tour on Day 2 but it seems very expensive. Since we will be flying from Toronto I know we will probably be very tired at least the first day and even possibly the second day so maybe a day tour isn't the way to go anyway. We will probably stay at the Kowloon Shangri- La.  Does anyone have any good ideas for stuff we could do or see that might be close by, maybe walking distance, or easy commute.  We are usually good to walk 1-2 KMs( or about a mile) at a time, in safe areas.  We like shopping, local and cultural sights, interesting landmarks, interesting restaurants.  I wonder if it's hard to get to Victoria Peak, and I'm not sure what areas or sights would require a ferry transfer?  If anyone had a great day or two in Hong Kong pre cruise, please share what you did.

Take it from someone who’s been there 6+ times. Hong Kong is one of the easiest cities in Asia to navigate, as their subway system is speedy and has English signage and announcements. The Star Ferry from Hong Kong Island to Kowloon is also a 15-min ride at most, and if you’re not feeling a boat ride, the subway also crosses the harbor. My advice is to not bother with the private tour, as it’ll likely be a walking/public transportation tour anyway. Make sure to get an Octopus card! 

Victoria Peak has a funicular railway that goes up/down the mountain and there is a public bus on the island side that takes you to the tram center, you’ll just have to cross the harbor, either on the ferry or on the subway. Your hotel is very close to Avenue of the Stars, which has great harbor views and is a popular evening walk for locals.

• Like 1

We've stayed at the Kowloon Shangri-La - a discounted harbour-view room for a 4-night stay.

Excellent hotel, a butler that we had no need of, but we shied away from the hotel's high prices for food & drink, even stepping outside for morning coffee. Harbour-front windows are wall-to-wall and floor-to-ceiling. If you're in at 8pm, ensure that the room's radio is tuned in for the city's nightly laser show - the music and commentary make all the difference.

Location isn't totally ideal but not bad. Nathan Road is a ten-minute walk, the Tsim Sha Tsui Star Ferry terminal is about 20 minutes. There are a couple of Mass-transit metro stations ten minutes away.

I concur totally with @thehowlingroad that HK is the sort of place that you explore independently, and not by car.

In our two visits we've never used the mass-transit system, we much prefer to use the Star Ferries (to Wan Chai rather than to Central is a much more interesting and ethnic "Suzie Wong" part of the Island) the Island's the rickety trams (though they're usually over-crowded) and the double-deck buses.to places like Stanley antiques market. When you leave Stanley Market you can ask the driver to put you off part-way back where you walk round the corner for another bus to the Peak and the top station of the Peak railway.

Some folk use the ho-ho buses but even that's too slow, too clinical & too civilised for us.

If you want to check out shops & sights on the steep part of the city, head for the Mid-Levels Escalator, a series of moving walkways which take the grunt out of the climb

https://www.landmark.hk/en/visit/around-central/central-mid-level-escalator

Back on the mainland head to the Temple Street Night Market near the top of Nathan Road for bargains & street-food. https://www.temple-street-night-market.hk/

We had dinner there, under a tarpaulin roof sat on orange boxes with a tea-chest table and food cooked on the sidewalk - I wine & dine my lady in style 🤗.

An experience she's never forgotten, but in the nicest sort of way.

Check out this old video, but be aware it's perhaps just a mite exaggerated 😏 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg--o2Ly_uY  (minute 26 to minute 33)

JB 🙂

• Like 1

A couple spots I'd recommend checking out that are walkable or easy to get to - definitely take the Star Ferry over to Central like others said. Also check out Avenue of Stars along the water, maybe grab dinner in Tsim Sha Tsui after at the Temple Street Night Market. It's a really fun atmosphere. 

If you take the subway under the harbor, try to sit in the front or the back and look towards the other end. You'll see the other cars "snake" or whip around as it travels under the harbor.