Buying food at visiting ports

jambalian

Hi all. I'll be travelling on MSC Euribia in a few weeks, going to Northern Europe. Does anyone know if passengers are allowed to buy food in the ports they visit? I'm talking about bags of sweets, chocolate, biscuits, etc, from Hamburg, Rotterdam and Bruges. I tried contacting MSC head office but can't get a straight reply. The best they could come up with was to ask guest services once I got on board. 

1 hour ago, jambalian said:

Hi all. I'll be travelling on MSC Euribia in a few weeks, going to Northern Europe. Does anyone know if passengers are allowed to buy food in the ports they visit? I'm talking about bags of sweets, chocolate, biscuits, etc, from Hamburg, Rotterdam and Bruges. I tried contacting MSC head office but can't get a straight reply. The best they could come up with was to ask guest services once I got on board. 

We brought several food items back 2 years ago. Chocolate, cheese etc without any issues. I would think 90% of passengers bring that stuff back on that itinerary. One of my favorite itineraries.

• Like 1

We bought chocolates in Bruges today and no problem! We didn't get anything in other ports, so not sure. They wall seemed a bit crabby about removing belts and watches. It was mostly port security and not MSC.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mnpurple said:

They wall seemed a bit crabby about removing belts and watches.

It is, unfortunately, possible to put explosives in both, and the metal in both will sometimes trigger scanners when you go through security.

• Like 2

If it is factory sealed/packaged it is probably fine. The problem may come from more third world places. We bought spices in the Caribbean Islands that were not factory labeled and vacuum sealed. When we got home the spices were moving about on their own. Larve ?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, jambalian said:

Hi, 

officially, you cannot bring food or alcohol.

Unofficially, they would say nothing about some chocolates as a souvenir whereas you will not be allowed with alcohol.

Nevertheless, in case they do not allow you to bring it, you can ask them to keep for that food/bottle until the end of the cruise. They will return it to you when debarkation

In addition, if you buy something thinking to bring them to home, I would show the items to ship safety and ask if you can bring them or just asking them to keep. They will be glanced you are following rules and they will save your belongings

• Like 1

Hello,

The ban is wider than just alcohol:

In order to ensure safety and security standards, it is strictly forbidden to bring food and beverage onboard the Vessels. In compliance with this/her regulation and in order to guarantee the above standards, during embarkation a careful check control will be carried out through all passengers luggage. The items that are allowed are: personal hygiene products, cleansing products, lotions, fluid medications for therapeutic use, baby gear and baby food items, dietary items prescribed by a physician. Any local or “typical“ food item purchased during the cruise in any port of call will be collected and returned at the end of the cruise.

I think, and this is only my opinion: Raw/uncooked products; products not in sealed (airtight/vacuum) wrapping; items requiring (proper) refrigeration are the genuine no-nos.

Regards,

Cublet
  • Like 1