Dance Bands on Board

Carol28

4 minutes ago, Carol28 said:

What are some slow dance songs that the bands on board play?  Songs like Georgia on my mind.  I'm hoping I can get a few titles.

Would suggest you let people know what ship and when.

Best way is go to the ship you will be sailing and ask on the current roll call.

Not sure how anyone would know specific songs as groups (3 to 5) usually play in the evenings doing in my experience mostly requests.

As far as dance bands, Celebrity normally has both a "house" band and a "party" band to dance the night away. They will have other musical groups, such as classical, duets, guitar, etc, but that is more for your listening pleasure.  My wife loves to dance, not the ballroom dancing, but the rock and roll.   (We were in College in the sixties) For example, on the E-Class, one band might play in The Club, while the other plays in the Atrium or Eden.  On the S-Class, one might play in the Grand Foyer, while the other will be up top in the Sky lounge.  Some bands have their select playlists, and that is all they know, so requests may or may not be honored.  Many, however, have a vast repertoire, and will play anything you request.  Years ago, on the Millennium in Europe, we asked the band to play one of our favorites from the sixties, "The Look of Love" by Sergio Mendes.  They said "sorry, we do not know that one."  While, the next night before dinner, they saw my wife and I, and said their next song was for us.  It was "the Look of Love" by Sergio Mendes.  She said she looked it up last night, rehearsed it with her group today, and played it for us that night.  That was totally amazing and appreciated.  

• Like 2

So, I'd like to clarify my request.  We are enjoying ballroom dance classes and I asked our instructor for enhancing our slow dance steps.  She wanted to know what songs are common just so we have a repetoire for our classes.  I suggested Georgia on My Mind and At Last but I couldn't think of more.  I thought I'd request some titles, but this is not going well.  I like The Look of Love idea.  We'll be on a cruise next month and will write a list. I'm sorry I wasn't more direct in why I wanted the list.  

To me “dance band” still means Benny Goodman…and I was in college in the ‘70s. I did a quick Internet search for “popular music” and “foxtrot” and got some interesting results, some of which were old songs (Doris Day is not going to be popular with the on board bands), and some were new. Several I had never heard of. I’d suggest running a similar search using your favorite dance and see what answers you get that the band might know.

Another approach would be to talk to the band and let them know you’d like an occasional foxtrot, rumba, waltz, or whatever. They will probably do their best to give you something appropriate.

• Like 1

It depends on the demographic onboard. Good dance bands learn which genre gets people dancing. Poor ones have their own sets and don't do very much. The officers are roaming around to check out the interest and the number of people in venues. Maybe the band wants another contract, may they don't care. On our last cruise (not Celebrity) the venue that was supposed to be for dancing took a break every 10-15 minutes! We saw NO one dancing for the entire cruise (except for us on the third level in an out-of-the-way place.)

On our last Celebrity cruise in January, it was rock and roll, twist, and slow dances. Very little Latin.

As I stated earlier, my wife and I are not ballroom dancers.  But, if that is your thing, Celebrity has a lot of opportunities for ballroom dancing.  For example, on our last few cruises, there was always an hour of ballroom dancing early evening in a venue somewhere on the ship.  We never went, but I believe it would be right up your alley Carol28.  Also, before dinner, whichever band happened to be playing,  would always play a few ballroom sets.