world cruise 2007

LOGHL

Tips from a local...

The Opera House tours take you to a variety of areas within our beautiful cultural icon...the best involves the behinds the scenes tour..

if you do just a particular show then you usually only get to see the relevant theatre or concert hall and the approaches to it. in this case you would only get to see the Drama theatre.

by all means see Season but also consider the other add ons.....don't forget to allow time for a drink at the Opera Bar (al fresco with view of the Bridge) Can't get this from Cloud because the overseas terminal will mean your berth will look at the opera House not bridge (try to convince la terazza to dine with rear blinds up to view the bridge)

Do they have elevators/escalators now in the Sydney Opera House (some cruisecritic members may be there soon)? When we were there in 2001, we had quite a climb up the stairs. It is unusual that such a world famous structure does not have facilities to help the handicapped and the not so well?! Thank you.

Theperiod in which the Opera house was designed and built was pre the consideration of access. It is not alone in this as I can think of several places un Europe where thye do not have diasbled access (eg Dome in St Pauls London, leaning Tower Pisa....yes i know they wer built hundreds of years ago but)

This is taken straight form the SOH website

Unassisted Access

The ramp on the right side of the southern entrance (Circular Quay side of the site) provides wheelchair access to the Forecourt, Concourse, Western Broadwalk, (Drama Theatre, Playhouse and The Studio) and Northern Broadwalk (Harbour Restaurant) and to the Botanic Gardens.

The ramp on the left side of the southern entrance provides wheelchair access to the Lower Concourse where accessible toilets are available. Direct undercover wheelchair access to the Lower Concourse is also available from the Car Park. (Please note that there is only staff assisted wheelchair access exiting from the northern end of the Lower Concourse).

Staff Assisted Access

Whilst we are continually improving access within the Sydney Opera House site and building, there are some areas that assisted access by one of our staff members for people with mobility impairments is required. Please feel free to ask staff for this service.

A key access point for this service is at Stage Door located at Concourse level. A staff member will assist you via undercover access to the theatres and other performance spaces and function areas, Box Office Foyer and to the Bennelong and Harbour Restaurants.

The Opera is due to be full accessible by the end of 2007.

Is design just does't lend itself to sticking in a lift or escalator without a great deal of planning and thought..

I forgot to add this

ACCESS TO THEATRES

Concert Hall and Opera Theatre

These theatres can be reached from the Concourse (44 steps). Alternatively a lift service operates between the ground level and the entrances to the Concert Hall and Opera Theatre stalls. Access for this service is available through the Stage Door. Our staff will assist you to the theatre of your choice.

Can't get this from Cloud because the overseas terminal will mean your berth will look at the opera House not bridge (try to convince la terazza to dine with rear blinds up to view the bridge)

Just realised you are on Shadow in March (Cloud is here Dec Jan)...same applies though...it's those back to front dates that throw me;)

For those of you going to Sydney, if you have time, go to Darling Harbour and The Rocks, look at the beautiful scenery and try the seafood. (In fact the best lobster we had was at Perth, on the opposite coast, some voyages go there to Fremantle). There is this triangular crab called the "bug", most Americans probably haven't seen it before. The warm water seafood in Australia is m..m good!

Also go to Queen Victoria Building (QVB) at the centre of the city, a hundred year old converted multi-storeyed mall. Walk around the cross of King Street and Castlereigh, where the high-end boutiques are. The affluent world cruisers may consider buying a strand of Australian pearls for souvenir. The producer/manufacturer of two-thirds of all Australian pearls, Paspaley's, has a store here (to be moved away soon). The female cat would love to buy a strand if it had one zero less! We settled for a keshi ring for A$800 (US$400 at the time when the A$ was low). Enjoy your voyages, and please post your experiences on the trip for all of us to share, as you lucky folks travel through it!

The number one thing to do is the walk from the ship around to mrs macqurie's chair where you can get the iconis image of bothe the opera house and bridge in one shot.

Something that is not offered on the ship which may well be suited to more active cruisers is the bridge climb. This is especially good at twighlight or sunrise as as it leaves not too far from the ship is easy to get to.

if you want to get an idea of our culture the visit the Historic houses trust Museum of Sydney or Susannah place.

a visit to taronga zoo is always good but if you want to cuddle koala you will need to go out to Featherdale wildlife park.

As far as trying our seafood the winner is the Fish markets at Pyrmont...avoid the tourist seafood places around the rocks and especially Doyles (either at watson's bay the Quay or fish Markets).

At the Fish markets peter's does the best take out food..eat on the pier and you can buy a reasonably good bottle of Aussie wine in the bottle shop to drink with your seafood. It's not five star dining but the food is always good and fresh. it will also be aroun d 1/4 to 1/3 of the price of any of the restaurants.

if you are really adventurous have a look at the Spit to manly walk then catch the ferry back across the harbour to Circular Quay.

Bondi beach can be easily reached by bus...or train to Bondi junction which is a good choice for the shopa holics as this is probably one of our better shopping malls. Try the cliff top walk towards tamarama...

this is only a starter!

• 1 month later...

http://www.silversea.com/silversea.aspx?id=911&menu_id=10&page_id=aboutsilversea&page_type=Press&menu_off=1

Despite some difficulties in filling the Middle East segments of their 2007 world cruise, Silversea has announced the 2008 world cruise for January again aboard the Silver Shadow. This new one is slightly shortened (110 instead of 126 days), with slightly reduced perks (business class flights only for those on the full voyage and you have to purchase their basic air transportation to be eligible). Details should be released tomorrow.

As usual, unless it is at 90% discount, we ordinary cats will not be able to afford such a world cruise, but for those who can, watch Silversea's website in the coming days!

• 2 weeks later...

It would be great if any guests could post and describe the first few days of the World Cruise. I would imagine there are special events?

Also can anybody on board the Shadow say if the ship is absolutely full for the start of the World Cruise?

I am not on the ship but my dad is. He sent an email this morning.

Here is some details about the cruise:

They stays at a Boca Raton Resort yesterday and boarded yacht for the trip down the Intercoastal waterway to Port Everglades. By car this would be about a 30 minutes drive. As they approached the Shadow, an airplane flew fairly low above in circles towing a banner which read: Welcome Silver Shadow World Travellers. At the same time a fireboat came into action with fanfare noises and water arcs spewing in the air. A large wooded platform had been attached to the ships lower entrance, decorated with palm trees and other such tropical plants. white gloved stewards helped them off the yacht. As they pulled up alongside the cruise ship there was a floating barge with artificial turf and rows of plants and formally dressed white gloved people, to handle carry-on bags.

Hope this answers some questions. After treatment like this, who could ever go to another cruise line?

carolcp,

Thank you for the report. It sounds like a memorable start to what we hope will be an equally memorable cruise.

I look forward to, hopefully, more reports as the cruise progresses.

Wayne

To think about it, for the entire voyage in a standard verandah suite, it will cost some $135,000 per couple, and that is the price of a Mercedes-Benz S-600 fully equipped. For that kind of money, you are surely going to get something exceptional.

On the other hand, when you divide that sum by 126 days, it comes to a little over $1,000 per couple per day. Considering that it includes room, transportation (the ship sails around the world, bringing you to exotic ports, plus business class air), food and drink and all tips, it is not bad for those who can afford it. We surely cannot afford it, but we hope that those who can will regularly post on this board to share their experience with the rest of us. Thanks to carolcp for posting!

Stop demeaning yourself. Almost every one of your comments has the words

"Though we can't afford it"...Whether or not you can spend the money is UNIMPORTANT... your reaction,questions & comments are what we want in your emails...

This is from the Silversea website.....

SILVER SHADOW SETS OFF ON FIRST WORLD CRUISE

Silversea Ambassador Isabella Rossellini Makes

Surprise Appearance at "Bon Voyage" Dinner Party

Click here: http://www.silversea.com/silversea.aspx?id=917

# # #

......I was in a deck 7 suite on the cruise preceeding the World cruise....I had multiple sailings on the cloud and Wind starting in 1998. We started sailing other lines a few years ago and from this point forward I WILL NEVER,EVER, sail with SS again...We were treated very poorly on our cruise as they readied themselves fot the World. They disembarked 21 crew members in Key West....Why not Fort Lauderdale? Why did Fernando have to come aboard in St. Bart????....Why did they pour such poor wines?....I would guess that they have managed to alienate at least 200 passengers....No wonder Regent is doing so well....Duh....:mad: :mad:

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything or from anyone on the WC? We're joining it in 2 weeks & would love to hear any news. They've changed one port in Bali, but it seems minor. I'm wondering if they will change Columbo after the "attack" in the harbor a couple of weeks ago. We'd love it if they would stay an extra day in Phuket (or even Singapore) instead, even though the Columbo excursions appear interesting. Since we have an extra day in Auckland before boarding & are staying centrally, does anyone have any suggestions on "must-sees"?

......I was in a deck 7 suite on the cruise preceeding the World cruise....I had multiple sailings on the cloud and Wind starting in 1998. We started sailing other lines a few years ago and from this point forward I WILL NEVER,EVER, sail with SS again...We were treated very poorly on our cruise as they readied themselves fot the World. They disembarked 21 crew members in Key West....Why not Fort Lauderdale? Why did Fernando have to come aboard in St. Bart????....Why did they pour such poor wines?....I would guess that they have managed to alienate at least 200 passengers....No wonder Regent is doing so well....Duh....:mad: :mad:

AWED, am sorry that you had a bad experience on Shadow. We were on a cruise several cruises before [12/12/2006, 9 nights out of Barbados], and it was a fabulous cruise. On disembarkation day, the only thing that was at all unusual, was that they were removing and replacing all of the mattresses on Deck 7, including in our Silver Suite.

As can be seen from our signature, we have booked a 16 night cruise on Whisper out of Singapore, again a Silver Suite. This booking really does have a "sticker shock"!! :D

Question for you experienced SS pax. Really wanted to take a cruise out of Dubai, but my DW was adamant that she would not set foot in the Middle East. Anyone else feel that way?

Archived