Current state of vegan/vegetarian menus with Oceania

soccermom4

Possible new Oceania cruiser looking at a Feb 2025 cruise on Marina to Antarctica.  I've heard that Oceania treats vegans well but would love to hear some recent experiences, or at least feedback on what you've seen.  Is it a separate vegan/vegetarian menu in the MDR etc?  Have cruised on RCCL, CCL and HAL.  Each line handles it differently.  Ordering in advance is always an option, but sometimes it's nice to be spontaneous and just pick from available selections.  My husband and I "flex" when cruising.  No meat, but we will eat fish and a bit of eggs/dairy if it's hidden in a yummy dessert or something.

• Like 1

I last sailed with Oceania 12 months ago and if I remember correctly in the MDR there wasn’t a separate veg/vegan menu but there were two options in the mains. There will always be at least one option in the starters too. If you eat fish then you will always find something acceptable. I am a fish lover and was never disappointed unless I had to resort to one of the three staples,which appear every night in the MDR, salmon, which was never good! 

The speciality restaurants all serve fish dishes and if you eat lobster that’s also readily available. You definitely won’t starve!

• Thanks 2

We sailed on Nautica last summer when there wasnt a separate vegan/veggie menu. We are omnivores so, whilst we'll order vegetarian food, I dont have much recollection as to whether it was vegan. Probably it was - these days restaurants seem to just find it easier to make their vegetarian dishes suitable for vegans as well. As you  are flexitarian when travelling, you'll have no problem finding a choice of dishes. 

This blog is very detailed about the couple's various cruises and always include photos of menus (including speciality restaurants and most days from the GDR). I'm linking to their menu page for a recent Vista cruise which should give you a proper feel for the food (the GDR menus are towards the bottom of the page)

https://www.thepreismans.com/vista23_menus.htm

• Thanks 1

Wow. Thanks for the blog. Those menus look great - and the plant based options every night are so interesting. I was glad to read that Marina is getting the Aquamar restaurant added. I could eat almost everything there. 

4 minutes ago, soccermom4 said:

getting the Aquamar restaurant added. I could eat almost everything there. 

I'll certainly be trying the lunch bowls in the Aquamar on Vista. Less keen on the breakfast offerings

I am a vegetarian and have been the most happy with Oceania's offerings over Crystal and Silversea. I receive the GDR or specialty restaurant (for current reservations) menu 2 days before dining and have been able to (usually) select my choices. On some occasions, I have requested and received something off-menu when there is nothing I want to eat. 

1 hour ago, Harters said:

I'll certainly be trying the lunch bowls in the Aquamar on Vista. Less keen on the breakfast offerings

We enjoyed that we could add/subtract/combine the options in the dishes to make them to our liking!

• Like 1

My wife is a strick  vegetarian, no fish or chicken. We've been on 8 Oceania cruises, she has never had a problem in any of the restaurants..... maybe too much food.

• Thanks 2

I will often order the vegetarian option in the dining room because it tends to be more "exotic" than the everyday same old same old.  I'm a regular carnivore, but cruising is a time to experiment with food.  Looking forward to the options on O.  Anyone have pictures?

• Thanks 2

We have traveled with friends who are Vegan and have also shared dinners in Specialty restaurants with other Vegan guests. They RAVED about their meals every night for two weeks. You have already heard from the posters above so just be prepared to be AMAZED. The Chefs do an awesome job of presenting Vegan menus. In October 2025 we will be on Allura and will be traveling with our son and partner who are Vegan but do eat fish. That said, since you say you will eat fish, YOU are in for a treat.  Your MUST TRY list MUST include the Dover Sole in Polo, Toscana and Jacques. Also in Jacques, try the Chilean Sea Bass in Philo Dough for 2, but it does take at least 30 minutes to prepare, ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. in Red Ginger, the Miso Glazed Chilean Sea Bass is an 11 on a 10 point scale. 
We did the Marina Antarctica cruise in January 2023 and meals everywhere were Excellent so the decision to Book is a No Brainer if Vegan food is a major criteria. 
Just Enjoy,

Mauibabes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi - I am a vegan and Oceania has wonderful options.  If you put it on your profile that you are vegan, they will request a meeting with you the first day and go over your options.  They put a menu from the Grand Dining Room under your door every night so if you want to eat there, you chose what you want and they will make it vegan.  Aquamar Spa has plenty of options and the buffet does also.  The Steakhouse does not, so I always ask for an extra day at Red Ginger or Toscana since there is nothing to eat there so no reason to go.  The first day, I also aways arrange for Impossible burgers to be available at the Grill.  You will have no problems at all! Have a wonderful time. 

• Thanks 2