Advice please?

Mickb

We are sailing 'cruise only' west bound on QM2 on the 23rd April ex Southampton arriving in the US on Sat 29th April and we can'twait!. I am concerned to hear that we will be docking in Red Hook and not Manhatten. We need to get to Washington DC by late afternoon on the Saturday and because we have a large suitcase cannot go by Amtrak and do not wish to fly. So we have decided to hire a car which we will leave at Dulles airport in due course.

We asked Cunard for advice in how to get to a car hire depot and they were completely unhelpful saying 'take a cab'. Because we are not taking their fly cruise option ( I am using Airmiles for our return flight) it would appear that we cannot use the ship's transfers. From the very long thread on this board about Red Hook, it would seem that securing a cab at the pier is far from easy and we could be stranded.

I think the easiest is probably to go to La Guardia airport and rent a car from Hertz there. the question is - how do we get there?

Any advice wuold be gratefully received.

Mickb

You should be able to buy transfers from Cunard

Karie

I agree, at least in the US. We have made our own flight arrangements from Chicago and have purchased Cunard transfers to and from LaGuardia.

What you're planning is going to be such a hassle! Are you sure you can't take the train? I believe you can check luggage and the dimensions are pretty generous - you'd have to have REALLY big cases to have problems. The luggage goes in a separate baggage compartment on the train. It's so much easier than driving out of LGA ... and the drive's not even that nice. I'd call Amtrak and inquire about checkin bags on the Metroliner.

Another option to consider is cab to Newark for the rental car. Red Hook is easy to the Verazzano Narrows bridge and then From Staten Island to Newark. One advantage to this is you are already heading toward Washington. Always liked driving over the VN bridge after sailing under it.

Jim.

I took Amtrak from NY to Philadelphia after a transatlantic crossing and had no problems with luggage. I just did self-disembark, walked off and grabbed a cab to Penn Station. I should add that I was traveling solo with a very large suitcase and rolling carry-on. You can check your bags (I second the previous poster - they are generous with size allowance), but I just tucked them into the luggage area and they fit fine. Remember you will probably be traveling during an off-peak time, not during the commuter rush.

If you are traveling on the Northeast regional Amtrak trains including Acela and Metroliner there is no checked baggage. That service is only available on long distance trains. In some cars they usually have additional storage available for larger pieces of luggage, but I have been told time and again that you must adhere to the new size limits. Will the conductor pull out a tape measure? Unlikely, but do you really want to take the risk?

I would strongly urge you to rethink your packing strategy so as to fit Amtrak's requirements. I travel quite often from D.C. to N.Y. on Amtrak (including for my round-trip QM2 voyage) and you just cannot get an easier and quicker way to go. BWI airport stop to Penn Station 2 hours 40 minutes by train. Car? 4-5 hours if you are lucky.

Thank you all for your posts. I think we shall try and rethink our packing and take 2 smaller suitcases and try the Acela Express from Penn Station to Washington. There one leaving at noon which should give us enough time to travel into New York from Red Hook, either by Cunard transfer, which I'm told I can purchase on the ship or by taxi. It is quite confusing trying to organise this from the UK. I had originally assumed that Red Hook was across the river from the old Cunard pier and have only now realised where it actually is.

I much appreciate all your advice!

Mickb

In some cars they usually have additional storage available for larger pieces of luggage, but I have been told time and again that you must adhere to the new size limits. Will the conductor pull out a tape measure? Unlikely, but do you really want to take the risk?

They just might. Not too long ago I observed a young man with a very large duffel-type bag frantically removing them and stuffing his things into several smaller bags. He was told his original bag was both too large and too heavy.

You will not be alone trying to get to Manhattan or LGA. There will be options. Also, you mention you need to be in Washington by afternoon, but also say you are not flying but will leave car at Dulles?? Train does not go to Dulles area, but downtown??

Are you going to fly eventually? If so, a large bag may have weight problems on the flight.

By the way, in the future, try to be more descriptive in your subject title.

Sorry Graycarla if my heading was not clear.

We have decided to take the train and rethink our suitcase from 1 very large to 2 smaller. We have to be at dinner in Washington on Saturday evening and I have a Board Meeting on Sunday afternoon. We then have 2 free days before flying back from Dulles to London on Wed monrning. We had thought we would either head up to Amish country near Lancaster County or alternatively driving into the mountains of Virginia.

MickiB, A Brooklyn Community Affairs Police Officer that loves cruising and cruise cridic boardsn=. There will be plenty of TAXI to take you to Penn Station.Since this is new to Brooklyn I assure you that NYPD bossses and officers will be out assisting all travelers Relax this is Brooklyn Have a hot dog.Look for Taxi dispatchers at the port. I will help fellow passengers when i check this feed Welcome to BKLYN;)

Cunard were not interested in quoting for internal flights. for our return to the UK I have used airmiles so cannot comment. I think it depends when and wheer you want to go. Expedi or a webbased site will give you a good yardstick.

Archived