Xploration to Galapagos going out of commission?

catspaw1

26 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

Now I just need someone to explain how to add photos to a post. I think I figured it out once a long time ago but forget now

When you are writing your post, you can add photos easily via the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." at the bottom of the posting window.

image.png.c3671387c0e166c50175b0e1ba22070f.png

2 minutes ago, airhose said:

Are kayaks available on Exploration? 

I can see a couple of kayaks on the bow in this photo I took when we were at Puerto Ayora in late November. 

Untitled-518.thumb.jpeg.7a981cda2226eadc565552e2795310d2.jpeg

Posted (edited)

When you go on the Teleferico, do that as early in the day as you can before the clouds roll in. We had a thick blanket of clouds that obscured our view of Quito initially. After half an hour or so, we got lucky and had a break in the clouds. 

IMG_0629.thumb.jpeg.f6b52dd622b6ded2065d67816647031c.jpeg

IMG_0630.thumb.jpeg.d9ba4de878f3e4878e4db0059bd7bf3d.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc

1 hour ago, catspaw1 said:

waterbug,good idea on the wipes. Let us know if flying out the same day as the cruise works as we might consider doing that also. Getting to Puerto Ayova will transferring on a ferry bus & taxi seems like a schlep with luggage so leaving right from Baltra would be better. I haven't look at flights yet since it's 15 months away. what time does your flight leave Quito & arrive? & how much was flight?

We booked round trip flights on Avianca for $371 per person.  That was for "L" class tickets, which allowed us to change the flight if necessary, as well as choose seats in advance and have a bit more luggage allowance.

Heading to Baltra, the flight leaves Quito at 7:51am and arrives in Baltra at 10:48am.  I believe it makes a stop in Guayaquil on the way.  It's going to mean a VERY early wake up that morning since we have to transfer to the airport, then get the tourist cards, do the luggage inspection thing, and then actually check in and get through security.

Returning to Quito, it leaves Baltra at 11:33am and arrives in Quito at 4:15pm, and again, I believe it makes a stop in Guayaquil on the way.

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

When you are writing your post, you can add photos easily via the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." at the bottom of the posting window.

image.png.c3671387c0e166c50175b0e1ba22070f.png

Thank you, I don't know why I was thinking it was more difficult than that!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

When you go on the Teleferico, do that as early in the day as you can before the clouds roll in. We had a thick blanket of clouds that obscured our view of Quito initially. After half an hour or so, we got lucky and had a break in the clouds. 

Thanks for the tip, we'll keep that in mind!

1 minute ago, waterbug123 said:

We booked round trip flights on Avianca for $371 per person.  That was for "L" class tickets, which allowed us to change the flight if necessary, as well as choose seats in advance and have a bit more luggage allowance.

Heading to Baltra, the flight leaves Quito at 7:51am and arrives in Baltra at 10:48am.  I believe it makes a stop in Guayaquil on the way.  It's going to mean a VERY early wake up that morning since we have to transfer to the airport, then get the tourist cards, do the luggage inspection thing, and then actually check in and get through security.

Returning to Quito, it leaves Baltra at 11:33am and arrives in Quito at 4:15pm, and again, I believe it makes a stop in Guayaquil on the way.

I think you all already know that Baltra and Quito are in different time zones.  It shouldn't be a problem.  It is more confusing when you get off the ship in Baltra because ship time = Quito time.  So the clock changes the instant you get off the zodiac on your return trip to Baltra.

waterbug that's a really early flight but I would rather get there early & not miss the ship! I am sure the Marriott will know what time you need to leave for the airport but considering it's a 45 minute drive to the airport, that means leaving around 5am or maybe earlier. I am always early for flights! 

I would rather pay more for a refundable ticket, seat selection & higher baggage allowance also.

Please let us know when you return where they can stow a large suitcase for each of us onboard. Rolling duffel bags are probably better but the big duffels we have don't roll so hard to carry. I like to carry my own luggage, so I know where it is & not depend on anyone to carry. I don't like to drag them on the floor. I'll see.

yes I know about the time difference & I always hate it as it's so confusing. 

We got to Bangkok once & it was 35 hours bed to bed after flying in business class. We kept getting up at 3am & my husband said the only people up at that hour were us & the prostitutes! It took almost a week to get adjusted to the time difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, airhose said:

Are kayaks available on Exploration? 

Yep there were kayaks on the Xploration... I think it was limited to 8 people (4 groups of 2). I didn't use them as my partner and I preferred to go on the panga ride around the islands as an alternative. The day we wanted to go kayaking it actually rained for 2 hours, so we just kind of sat around the boat and then continued our other excursion that happened after.

1 hour ago, catspaw1 said:

waterbug that's a really early flight but I would rather get there early & not miss the ship! I am sure the Marriott will know what time you need to leave for the airport but considering it's a 45 minute drive to the airport, that means leaving around 5am or maybe earlier. I am always early for flights! 

I would rather pay more for a refundable ticket, seat selection & higher baggage allowance also.

Please let us know when you return where they can stow a large suitcase for each of us onboard. Rolling duffel bags are probably better but the big duffels we have don't roll so hard to carry. I like to carry my own luggage, so I know where it is & not depend on anyone to carry. I don't like to drag them on the floor. I'll see.

We are not at the Marriott, we are staying at the Hilton but about the same distance from the airport. Planning on arranging a car at 4am.  It is what it is

I would probably go that time also. Maybe ask Celebrity or the Marriott in which order you need to do things between passport control, luggage inspection, check-in & bag drop. Plus no TSA precheck so might take longer to go through security.  Will Celebrity help at the airport since you are flying independently? We speak Spanish although not  fluently - we can get by fine. Also please let us know what happens when you have to pay the national park fee upon landing. Celebrity has said its included in our price but I'm not sure what happens if you already paid. You are lucky to go now as the park fee is increasing to $200 from $100 with no grandfather for those of us who already booked & gave deposit.