GTY Cabin Assignment Question??

raphael360

I booked using the "GTY" rate on my upcoming sailing in April.  

Has anyone booked using the Guarantee rate in the past?  If so, how long before the cruise was your cabin assigned?  (This was a last-minute cruise booking and the GTY rate was $900 cheaper than selecting the cabin rate.).

Thanks for the advice.  

We’ve done it twice, on Resilient Lady from Athens we got assigned limited view sea terrace about three days before but we’re still able to bid and we got a central sea terrace on upgrade bids. On Valiant Lady from Barcelona our room was assigned maybe two weeks before and we were allocated central sea terrace to start with.

I've read everything from 2 weeks to 2 days prior to sailing....but as above, it can change until the time you actually check in.  You may be offered the ability to bid on an upgrade....and it may or may not be worth your while to bid.  On our last cruise, we met at least 3 cabins of people who had not bid but got  moved from a Lock It In gty to a central sea terrace.  A lot depends on how full your sailing is.

51 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

I've read everything from 2 weeks to 2 days prior to sailing....but as above, it can change until the time you actually check in.  You may be offered the ability to bid on an upgrade....and it may or may not be worth your while to bid.  On our last cruise, we met at least 3 cabins of people who had not bid but got  moved from a Lock It In gty to a central sea terrace.  A lot depends on how full your sailing is.

We didn’t get “moved” from lock it in GTY, we were assigned the central sea terrace as our lock it in room the second time. You can get any of the sea terrace rooms allocated for the lock it in, especially if they did manage to sell all the limited view at normal price.

1 hour ago, jon81uk said:

We didn’t get “moved” from lock it in GTY, we were assigned the central sea terrace as our lock it in room the second time. You can get any of the sea terrace rooms allocated for the lock it in, especially if they did manage to sell all the limited view at normal price.

You are correct....I always think of a gty or lock it in as likely to get the obstructed view.....which is often not the case at all.