MTS Oceanos Ports of call mid to late 1980’s

Memory77

I took a cruise on the MTS Oceanos a few years before it sank (around 1987?) I’m looking for the itinerary for my Christmas cruise that departed from the Bahamas. I’m sure we ported in Venezuela and Grenada I believe we may have stopped in Aruba and Curaçao as well as an island that we needed to ferry into. Can anyone help me with where I could find ports of call information. Thank you

Epiritiki, the cruise line that operated the Oceanos, no longer exists today, but after mergers and restructuring, Epirotiki's eventual successor is the Royal Olympic Cruise Lines. You could try them to see if they have retained any related record.

Here's a link to a history of Epirtiki: https://www.encyclopedia.com/books/politics-and-business-magazines/royal-olympic-cruise-lines-inc

BTW, the Oceanus was one of two Epiritiki ships that sank in 1991. 

On 3/24/2024 at 3:36 PM, Memory77 said:

I took a cruise on the MTS Oceanos a few years before it sank (around 1987?) I’m looking for the itinerary for my Christmas cruise that departed from the Bahamas. I’m sure we ported in Venezuela and Grenada I believe we may have stopped in Aruba and Curaçao as well as an island that we needed to ferry into. Can anyone help me with where I could find ports of call information. Thank you

You may want to browse sites with “maritime history/archives”, “passenger manifest records” (only works if you’re over 75 or someone with you who is),  “ship log”, “port departure schedules”, or arrivals from/to the Bahamas. The US have national archives. Many rabbit holes to cover that you might find interesting. Last September I used GGArchives.com to find the Halifax landing records of the arrival for a 96 year old friend who’d travelled home from England to Canada at 19 years of age, on the Duchess of Bedford. And back on the Empress in the 1940’s. We even laughed about the menu, the cost of her travels, and how the dining room worked. Not much but it might help. 

On 3/24/2024 at 3:36 PM, Memory77 said:

On 3/31/2024 at 4:26 AM, paf225 said:

I came across a B.B.C. article on the sinking of the Oceanos a couple years ago.  I had never previously heard of the ship or its demise but found the account quite interesting.  Here is the link to the B.B.C. article.  Regards, Paul

The guitarist who saved hundreds of people on a sinking cruise liner (bbc.com)

How interesting. I was on the Oceanos a few years before it sank…we cruised to Israel, Egypt, Greece and Turkey. I was so sad to hear that it had sunk… I never knew too many details except about the bravery of the guitarist and the cowardice of the captain and his officers.