Cruise Insurance?

caychateau

I never get it and I have sailed several times during hurricane season. One time a big group of us were going and due to a snowstorm our flight was cancelled. We met up with the ship in Jamaica two days later. RCI paid for us to stay overnight in Jamaica and proceeded to give us all $500 worth of shipboard credit when we arrived. They probably did this because there was around 40 people in our group, but still it was a great gesture.

Evaluate your situation to decide. Is it during hurricane season? Snowstorms in your area that could interfere with your flight if you have one? Anything else that could possibly interfere with your trip?

If you answer yes to those questions consider insurance, but it's just a risk your either willing or unwilling to take. Every situation is different.

The recent tragedies wouldn't affect my decision to get insurance.

The real questions is whether you already have adaquate health insurance while out of the country. My health provider covers me out of the country, just the same as when I'm at home (yes, including air evactuation).

So knowing this we usually don't buy insurance. If we have trip delays, lost luggage, etc. we will cover this on our own.

We never leave home without it. If you can afford the additional expenses incurred like the $25,000 airlift from the ship then don't get it. If you can't it's a known expense for an unknown loss as they say in the insurance industry.

What if you get into a car accident on the way to the airport and have to miss the cruise? What if you need emergency surgery a few days before the cruise? What if a family member passes away a couple of day before the cruise? What if you or a family member gets sick and cannot travel right before the cruise? What if you fall and break a leg and need to be evacuated off the ship (can you afford the $30,000 fee)? That's a lot of "what if's". Most private insurance provided by employers don't cover you once you're out of the country. Lou33 is lucky because most US insurance companies don't cover you outside the US. I know mine doesn't, and it's one of the largest health insurance companies in the US. Plus, if you're retired and on Medicare, you're not covered at all outside the US.

There are a lot of "what-ifs". That's exactly what insurance is for.

What's great is insurance is relatively inexpensive and (if you don't get the wrong insurance) the coverage is great. One covered claim can easily be well in excess of your costs.

There are a number of things to consider when buying insurance. Here is a well-thought out list with lots of good hints and additional information.

We get cruise insurance every cruise from Travelex. We have yet to file a claim. We do not feel it has been a waste of money.

Thanks to all who have responded to my question about insurance. you've given me some things to look into, evaluate and think about. I guess the best way to look at it is that if I get the insurance then i don't have to do any extra worrying before the cruise and can just start getting psyched up for the cruise, reason enough for me!:D

In the last two years it has bee necessary for us to cancel two cruises at the last minute. Hurricane Charley hit our area...and us...three days before we were to take a cruise out of Boston. We got all our money back. We both became ill before another cruise...within four days of the cruise. We got all our money back. Would sail without it!!!

Mocorobabe

For the small, local cruises we sometimes take, we don't bother with it. We have no parents left, we take our kids with us, it's close enough for a relative to come get us, it's not so much money we would be devastated losing it.

But, when we are travelling far from home, we get it mainly for the medical coverage. Our credit card already has flight dleay/baggage coverage. We get the absolute cheapest insurance we can find, we don't go for the extras.

No, you do not get reimbursed for seasickness or anything else that may keep you in your cabin at least on all the policies I have seen. You will get reimbursed for medical help.

It might be possible to buy this type of insurance but you will have to do a lot of searching around for this. Of course it would cost more than the normal policies available.

I will be brief and not go into details but:

#1 Booked 11 day cruise to C/NE round trip Boston on RCI. 1 week prior to cruise my wife, a very healthy lady, had to have an emergency Appendectomy. For the cost of about $200 insurance we recouped $4200.

#2 Booked 10 day Princess Caribbean. 3 days prior to sailing my Mother-In-Law suffered a stroke. Insurance under $200. Recouped $3100.

Enough said !

Archived