Will I ever wear a suit on P&O AU?

Now there are no formal nights is there any point taking a suit? I wont be taking a dinner suit for same reason but should I bother packing any suit?

Cheers

P&O is CASUAL. Wearing a suit will make you stand out. Wearing a sports jacket will put you in a reasonable sized minority. Its your holiday, wear what makes you comfortable.

On our P&O cruise last year there was definitely a formal night (though not everyone participates). We don't mind dressing for dinner, so hubby wore a suit and I my little red cocktail number. There were quite a few people who went to the trouble and quite a lot who didn't. Personal choice really.

3 hours ago, Nang said:

P&O is CASUAL. Wearing a suit will make you stand out. Wearing a sports jacket will put you in a reasonable sized minority. Its your holiday, wear what makes you comfortable.

I never get a chance to wear one of my many suits except Cruises and Funerals lol

1 hour ago, ceeceeDee said:

On our P&O cruise last year there was definitely a formal night (though not everyone participates). We don't mind dressing for dinner, so hubby wore a suit and I my little red cocktail number. There were quite a few people who went to the trouble and quite a lot who didn't. Personal choice really.

No more  captains drinks for previous cruisers? No more formals no tablecloths in the MDR what next bring a packed lunch for Sailaway lol, Not sure why I am laughing? 2pm check-in  buffet closes at 3 for a 4 sailaway!

• 3 weeks later...

Last P&O cruise on Gatsby night a couple at a table near us dressed to “impress”.  Baggy cargo pants, sleeveless singlet top and caps worn backwards.  

🙄

Each to their own, I suppose.

However, I assume you were seated in the MDR, not the local McDonalds? Whatever happened to removing hats at the table, particularly in a restaurant?

I don't understand what people are wearing can affect you and what you are eating.

I can understand if clothing is too revealing and makes you feel uncomfortable but the wearing of hats in a dining room? it may feel disrespectful to some people but surely it can't affect how you enjoy eating your own food.

Daz  

No, it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the food and I am capable of ignoring it, but I do find it just a tad disrespectful. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but how hard is it to at least go smart casual and remove the ubiquitous baseball cap?!

According to the P&O website:

If it’s after 5:30pm, smart casual clothing is required in the public lounges and restaurants. 

However, as I said, each to their own.

Personally I wouldn't ever wear a hat in a restaurant as I find it disrespectful also, but I still wouldn't be upset by it.

Unfortunately smart casual means different things to different people.

Having been in the rag trade for more than 35 years I have seen so many interpretations of dress standards I have just given up and now just go with the flow.

Daz