Mykonos Town aka Chora

Jayhoaps

Hello everyone, I will be on board Carnival Legend and I will be cruising to many destinations including Mykonos.

I would love to visit Mykonos town and explore, question is how do I get there from the Cruise port?

Also just to clarify, in Mykonos town is that where I can find Little Venice and the Windmills?

Any guidance or insight in this manner, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards.

3 hours ago, Jayhoaps said:

Also just to clarify, in Mykonos town is that where I can find Little Venice and the Windmills?

Yes. Little Venice, windmills and the pelican. 

Search this board for transportation options.  It will be a short ride from the port.  If you tender, you might also tender into the town.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

As noted above, some ships tender directly into the center of town.  If you dock, there will be a water taxi (a shuttle boat with many people on it) that goes back and forth between town and the dock for a few euros.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 2

To clarify, there are now two ports at Mykonos - the new port and the old port. The new port will allow ships to dock while you may be tendered into the old port. If your ship is docked on the new port, then there is a local-run shuttle bus for €2 cash one way. It will drop you off about 0.3 miles from the centre of town and you can walk to all the attractions from there, Little Venice and the windmills.

If you're interested, here's my experience on exploring by myself at Mykonos - 

https://diycruiseports.com/diy-port-guides/mykonos-cruise-port-diy-shore-excursion-guide

• Like 2

Yeah I think the multiple locations to get onshore can be confusing.  

On our most recent visit last year, we were tendered close to the Old Port Bus Station which was close enough for us and many to hoof it into Chora.  On previous visits, we docked at the cruise port way further north and shuttled (bus or seabus) into Chora.  And we've previously seen tenders right to the dock in Chora.  

In terms of navigation in Chora, I thought Google Maps worked fairly well but not perfect.  A lot of the lanes are fairly narrow and some can lead to dead ends. (I also find this makes walking around the laneways in town in the morning a bit of a chore with the crowds and delivery vehicles.) However, the town is small enough that if you have a general sense of where the water is, you can walk in that direction, reach the water, and reorientate yourself.  Kind of hard to get too lost.

• Like 1

Also, just saw an excursion offered by Carnival entitled Mykonos Town Walking Tour, It's a 3 hour tour and costs $79.99. 

I will post the details from the Carnival Site

"Mykonos was once a peaceful fishing village, but it has now become the most famous town in all the Greek islands that attracts not only tourists, but also film stars, artists and the jet-set celebrities. Starting from the Old Port, walk into the heart of town to discover the authentic spirit and atmosphere of the narrow alleyways. Whitewashed houses strike a sharp contrast against their brightly painted doors and shutters as well as with the vibrant colors of the bougainvillea and geraniums of the courtyards and balconies. If you feel lost in this labyrinth of little streets, there is a reason: the town was designed in this way to confuse invaders and prevent pirate attacks. Every corner of the town is worth photographing including the typical Cyclades’ cubic architecture, the numerous chapels and the whitewashed pavements, which make the town so truly unique and special. Lurking in some alleyway you may also meet Petros the Pelican, the island’s mascot. Do not miss a visit to Little Venice, a distinctive district in the town, where the houses are built right on the water's edge. It is said these buildings were used to quickly load and unload ships to avoid pirate attacks. Today, this area has numerous restaurants lining its seafront. The walk continues toward the promontory south-west of Little Venice to admire the famous windmills, a symbol of the island of Mykonos, once a major trading center between Venice and Asia. Dating back to the 16th C and situated near the old port in a strategic position to exploit the wind, the windmills were used to mill wheat. At the end of the guided tour, feel free to stay in town and return to Tourlos Port with the shuttle at your own expense."

Just wondering if anyone has taken this tour, or what are any thoughts of people about the tour, just wondering if it's worth it or not. Thanks in advance. 

Best Regards,

To avoid confusion, there's only one "port" for cruise ships.

The "new port" (called Tourlos, altho' few people know that name) is a couple of miles north of the town, and as others have mentioned a new water-bus shuttle to the town was introduced a few years ago as an alternative to shuttle-buses & taxis. Walking isn't a great option, there's effectively no sidewalk or shade.

The "old port" is in the town, it's waaaay too small for cruise ships. If your ship doesn't berth at the new port it will moor off-shore and you'll be ferried to the old port / town by tender. One of the few places in the world where for smaller cruise shipsashore by tender is better than being berthed. 

Yes, the immaculate and attractive little pedestrian lanes behind the harbour are a maze - but the town is quite small and if you head in vaguely the right direction you won't go far wrong for the line of windmills or Little Venice (a more-accurate name would be Very Very Little Venice 😏)

Someone mentioned the pelican.

Google "Petros Mykonos"

JB 🙂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Bull said:

To avoid confusion, there's only one "port" for cruise ships.

The "new port" (called Tourlos, altho' few people know that name) is a couple of miles north of the town, and as others have mentioned a new water-bus shuttle to the town was introduced a few years ago as an alternative to shuttle-buses & taxis. Walking isn't a great option, there's effectively no sidewalk or shade.

The "old port" is in the town, it's waaaay too small for cruise ships. If your ship doesn't berth at the new port it will moor off-shore and you'll be ferried to the old port / town by tender. One of the few places in the world where for smaller cruise shipsashore by tender is better than being berthed. 

Yes, the immaculate and attractive little pedestrian lanes behind the harbour are a maze - but the town is quite small and if you head in vaguely the right direction you won't go far wrong for the line of windmills or Little Venice (a more-accurate name would be Very Very Little Venice 😏)

Someone mentioned the pelican.

Google "Petros Mykonos"

JB 🙂

Thank you for clarifying that and providing all your insight. Much appreciated at this time. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Jayhoaps said:

Also, just saw an excursion offered by Carnival entitled Mykonos Town Walking Tour, It's a 3 hour tour and costs $79.99. 

I will post the details from the Carnival Site

"Mykonos was once a peaceful fishing village, but it has now become the most famous town in all the Greek islands that attracts not only tourists, but also film stars, artists and the jet-set celebrities. Starting from the Old Port, walk into the heart of town to discover the authentic spirit and atmosphere of the narrow alleyways. Whitewashed houses strike a sharp contrast against their brightly painted doors and shutters as well as with the vibrant colors of the bougainvillea and geraniums of the courtyards and balconies. If you feel lost in this labyrinth of little streets, there is a reason: the town was designed in this way to confuse invaders and prevent pirate attacks. Every corner of the town is worth photographing including the typical Cyclades’ cubic architecture, the numerous chapels and the whitewashed pavements, which make the town so truly unique and special. Lurking in some alleyway you may also meet Petros the Pelican, the island’s mascot. Do not miss a visit to Little Venice, a distinctive district in the town, where the houses are built right on the water's edge. It is said these buildings were used to quickly load and unload ships to avoid pirate attacks. Today, this area has numerous restaurants lining its seafront. The walk continues toward the promontory south-west of Little Venice to admire the famous windmills, a symbol of the island of Mykonos, once a major trading center between Venice and Asia. Dating back to the 16th C and situated near the old port in a strategic position to exploit the wind, the windmills were used to mill wheat. At the end of the guided tour, feel free to stay in town and return to Tourlos Port with the shuttle at your own expense."

Just wondering if anyone has taken this tour, or what are any thoughts of people about the tour, just wondering if it's worth it or not. Thanks in advance. 

Best Regards,

I would not recommend paying anyone to walk you around the town of Mykonos.  It's very small.  Just walk around, you'll find everything you've read about.  Or Follow other people and see where they are going.  

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I would not recommend paying anyone to walk you around the town of Mykonos.  It's very small.  Just walk around, you'll find everything you've read about.  Or Follow other people and see where they are going.  

That's very true, I appreciate it. Much thanks. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, does anyone know if there are many restrooms in the town of Mykonos? Also, if there is a fee to use washrooms, or if the washrooms are only at restaurants? Any guidance on this woul be greatly appreciated. 

Posted (edited)

Most are in restaurants - the only one I found open (on both my visits) is the one in the Old Port or the Sea bus terminal. (Link to Google Maps). There's another one marked on Google Maps here (closer to town) but I went there last October and it was closed around 10am on a weekday, so I'm not sure that it's meant to be open anymore. 

Edited by Zana711
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zana711 said:

Most are in restaurants - the only one I found open (on both my visits) is the one in the Old Port or the Sea bus terminal. (Link to Google Maps). There's another one marked on Google Maps here (closer to town) but I went there last October and it was closed around 10am on a weekday, so I'm not sure that it's meant to be open anymore. 

Thanks so much for your help, I greatly appreciate it at this Time.

Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2024 at 10:09 AM, Zana711 said:

To clarify, there are now two ports at Mykonos - the new port and the old port. The new port will allow ships to dock while you may be tendered into the old port. If your ship is docked on the new port, then there is a local-run shuttle bus for €2 cash one way. It will drop you off about 0.3 miles from the centre of town and you can walk to all the attractions from there, Little Venice and the windmills.

If you're interested, here's my experience on exploring by myself at Mykonos - 

https://diycruiseports.com/diy-port-guides/mykonos-cruise-port-diy-shore-excursion-guide

Hey Zana, just wanted to clarify some things as I am a bit confused.

From My understanding, the new port can only dock one Ship and if your ship is not docked you will have to take a tender. 

So if it does not dock at the new port, you can either be tendered to new Port or Old Port? 

Also, if you end up in the new port, you can take a Seabus/Water Taxi to Old port?

Also to clarify, if you arrive at the Old Port, it's a walking distance to Mykonos Town?

Hope you can clarify this, as I am a bit confused. Thanks in advance. Best Regards. 

Edited by Jayhoaps
grammar and structural mistakes

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Jayhoaps said:

Hey Zana, just wanted to clarify some things as I am a bit confused.

From My understanding, the new port can only dock one Ship and if your ship is not docked you will have to take a tender. 

So if it does not dock at the new port, you can either be tendered to new Port or Old Port?

@Jayhoaps Honestly, I think that's a decision that your cruise line makes. But I have visited Mykonos on a cruise ship twice. Celebrity chose to dock at the new port and then provide a free shuttle into the sea bus terminal / car park area. Royal Caribbean chose to tender into the Old Port. 

If your cruise line is going to make it a tender stop, it's usually made clear in your itinerary. It is unusual for a cruise line not to list a tender stop as such when they sell you the cruise. So check your itinerary - it's likely that you already know whether it's going to be a tender stop for you.

Also, if you end up in the new port, you can take a Seabus/Water Taxi to Old port?

I think the easiest is to take the cruise line's shuttle into the Sea Bus terminal. Note that the reason why the shuttle only goes into the Sea Bus terminal is that big coaches don't drive all the way into Old Town itself. The streets are just too narrow. Once you get off the shuttle, you still need to walk about 15 minutes. If your cruise line doesn't offer the shuttle, then there is a public bus / shuttle for €2. I won't recommend walking from the new port all the way into town - just not worth it in my opinion. All the details are in my post below:

Also to clarify, if you arrive at the Old Port, it's a walking distance to Mykonos Town?

See link above

Have a great trip! I saw that you posted messages on a few threads - if you read my post, most of your questions are answered there. 

Hope you can clarify this, as I am a bit confused. Thanks in advance. Best Regards. 

Edited by Zana711
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zana711 said:

@Jayhoaps Honestly, I think that's a decision that your cruise line makes. But I have visited Mykonos on a cruise ship twice. Celebrity chose to dock at the new port and then provide a free shuttle into the sea bus terminal / car park area. Royal Caribbean chose to tender into the Old Port. 

If your cruise line is going to make it a tender stop, it's usually made clear in your itinerary. It is unusual for a cruise line not to list a tender stop as such when they sell you the cruise. So check your itinerary - it's likely that you already know whether it's going to be a tender stop for you.

I think the easiest is to take the cruise line's shuttle into the Sea Bus terminal. Note that the reason why the shuttle only goes into the Sea Bus terminal is that big coaches don't drive all the way into Old Town itself. The streets are just too narrow. Once you get off the shuttle, you still need to walk about 15 minutes. If your cruise line doesn't offer the shuttle, then there is a public bus / shuttle for €2. I won't recommend walking from the new port all the way into town - just not worth it in my opinion. All the details are in my post below:

See link above

Have a great trip! I saw that you posted messages on a few threads - if you read my post, most of your questions are answered there. 

Thanks so much for clarifying everything. Yeah I posted on a few threads as I'm trying to do my research to enjoy Mykonos. Thanks again. Best Regards. Time. 

22 hours ago, Zana711 said:

See link above

Thanks again for all your feedback, I read the link you shared and it was very helpful.

Just to clarify with Agios Stephanos Beach, is that located on New Port or Old Port? How does one get there? Thanks in advance. 

22 minutes ago, Jayhoaps said:

Thanks again for all your feedback, I read the link you shared and it was very helpful.

Just to clarify with Agios Stephanos Beach, is that located on New Port or Old Port? How does one get there? Thanks in advance. 

@Jayhoaps 😁 This is an easy one! It's right at the bottom of my blog post! 👇 Google Maps will tell you where the beach is - https://maps.app.goo.gl/voJhMHTRxGaKQ8pL8 - you can see where it is in relation to the cruise port. There's only one road! 

https://diycruiseports.com/diy-port-guides/mykonos-cruise-port-diy-shore-excursion-guide#aioseo-how-to-get-to-aghios-stephanos-beach-from-mykonos-new-port-old-port

"

Getting to Agios Stephanos Beach from Mykonos Ports

This one’s a breeze! From Mykonos New Port, Aghios Stephanos is a walkable distance. Tenders arrive at the Old Port, where you can catch a public bus from the Old Port bus station (aka North Station)."

3 minutes ago, Zana711 said:

@Jayhoaps 😁 This is an easy one! It's right at the bottom of my blog post! 👇 Google Maps will tell you where the beach is - https://maps.app.goo.gl/voJhMHTRxGaKQ8pL8 - you can see where it is in relation to the cruise port. There's only one road! 

https://diycruiseports.com/diy-port-guides/mykonos-cruise-port-diy-shore-excursion-guide#aioseo-how-to-get-to-aghios-stephanos-beach-from-mykonos-new-port-old-port

"

Getting to Agios Stephanos Beach from Mykonos Ports

This one’s a breeze! From Mykonos New Port, Aghios Stephanos is a walkable distance. Tenders arrive at the Old Port, where you can catch a public bus from the Old Port bus station (aka North Station)."

How long is the walk to the beach from New Port?