Culinary Classes Desiderata

Snaefell3

Culinary Classes Desiderata:

• No refund after 48 hours before the class.
• No refund if sick the day before
• Encourages folks to attend class while sick but still upright
• GM implied policy because of too much buyers remorse.  Huh!?!

3 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

Why does your invoice and ticket contract state?

(I assume you mean "what", not "why".  I've seen auto-correct do weirder things 😉 )

The excursion ticket said "48".

The GM (the Purser, the guy with 4 shoulder-board stripes and white branch colors) said "48".  That was also the conversation where I heard the bit about "buyers' remorse".

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

😉 Was your request also within the 36 hour time frame? 

Before and after.  😜

The reply was always "We'll have to ask the Chef" / "We're waiting to hear back from the Chef".

The conversation with the GM was after I got out of quarantine.

2 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Before and after.  😜

The reply was always "We'll have to ask the Chef" / "We're waiting to hear back from the Chef".

The conversation with the GM was after I got out of quarantine.

So I am sure you pointed out the discrepancy to what your legal ticket contract stated when you let them know of your desire to cancel outside of their stated 36 hour cancellation period which would entitle you to a refund. 😜

11 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

So I am sure you pointed out the discrepancy to what your legal ticket contract stated when you let them know of your desire to cancel outside of their stated 36 hour cancellation period which would entitle you to a refund. 😜

Turned out to be moot.

I'll leave this thread be now with one addendum that wasn't germane to the other folks in the classes: Once the undiagnosed crud I didn't want to bring into a commercial kitchen got a 5-letter name, all line items in my folio about ever having signed up or been billed for the classes disappeared. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

Turned out to be moot.

I'll leave this thread be now with one addendum that wasn't germane to the other folks in the classes: Once the undiagnosed crud I didn't want to bring into a commercial kitchen got a 5-letter name, all line items in my folio about ever having signed up or been billed for the classes disappeared. 

But did your payment disappear as well or was it refunded? No better reason for cancelling & totally out of your hands, though wouldn’t be surprised that others might decide to attend & expose everyone. 
Thank you for doing the right thing.

2 hours ago, Vertygo said:

But did your payment disappear as well or was it refunded?

Payment was SBC (and, no, it did not disappear).

If I had not banged my nose and had to go to the Medical Center to get a resulting nosebleed to stop, neither I nor the ship would have ever known my crud had a name, much less that one.

Oddly enough, the process has turned all my non-refundable SBC into refundable SBC since SBC now went against Medical Center bills and will eventually arrive in an insurance reimbursement check.  Do NOT step aboard without medical insurance unless you can take a $7k hit without flinching.  Part 'B' (aka "Legacy") Medicare stops at the border; my particular Part 'C' Medicare (aka Medicare Advantage) covers worldwide.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Payment was SBC (and, no, it did not disappear).

If I had not banged my nose and had to go to the Medical Center to get a resulting nosebleed to stop, neither I nor the ship would have ever known my crud had a name, much less that one.

Oddly enough, the process has turned all my non-refundable SBC into refundable SBC since SBC now went against Medical Center bills and will eventually arrive in an insurance reimbursement check.  Do NOT step aboard without medical insurance unless you can take a $7k hit without flinching.  Part 'B' (aka "Legacy") Medicare stops at the border; my particular Part 'C' Medicare (aka Medicare Advantage) covers worldwide.

I am so sorry that happened to you. All of it. Thank goodness for insurance.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Snaefell3 said:

my particular Part 'C' Medicare (aka Medicare Advantage) covers worldwide.

Can you share the name of your Part C Medicare Advantage company please? Thx!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

Part 'B' (aka "Legacy") Medicare stops at the border;

Yes, but some supplemental Medicare policies covers 80% of the cost of foreign medical expenses, with a lifetime cap...I think $50,000.  Still I wouldn't travel without an commercial medical policy.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhD-iva said:

Can you share the name of your Part C Medicare Advantage company please? Thx!

Be aware that specific coverage varies by state and county, and I'm not in Texas. 🤷‍♂️

https://medicare.gov → [Find Medicare Health and Drug Plans] → "Enter ZIP Code" + [Continue] → "Part C" + [Find Plans], then look for plans with "Worldwide Emergency" showing a "", then check if the plan also includes "urgent".  After all that, you'll usually have to wait for Open Enrollment, too. 😞 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most cooking classes have a waitlist and the chef can get a sub to take the spot with a quick phone call, so I’m guessing most cancellations get a refund. 

1 hour ago, Clutj said:

Most cooking classes have a waitlist and the chef can get a sub to take the spot with a quick phone call, so I’m guessing most cancellations get a refund. 

::wry smile::  There's at least one GM who disagrees.