Dress code

15 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

Nicely done - Was about to say this thread is a bit benign and perhaps we should move on to a tipping discussion, but you may have saved the day!

I’m sorry if this topic is benign.  I have gotten alot of great info on Cruise Critic.  We have 30 plus cruises under our belt.  But have never travelled with kids.  We are spending 3 days before & after the cruise in Disney World & was hoping to pack as lightly as we could.  I was asking about the dress code to make sure we packed what we needed. 

36 minutes ago, curtsfan said:

I’m sorry if this topic is benign.  I have gotten alot of great info on Cruise Critic.  We have 30 plus cruises under our belt.  But have never travelled with kids.  We are spending 3 days before & after the cruise in Disney World & was hoping to pack as lightly as we could.  I was asking about the dress code to make sure we packed what we needed. 

You're fine.  Enjoy the trip with grandchildren. We're taking our granddaughter on the Navigator in July.  She lives in Burbank and will be 11+ .  She'll probably do her own packing before her parents check it.  She's been cruising since she was 2 and spent Christmas break with her parents in Australia and New Zealand. Leaving her parents home on this trip. 

8 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

In reality most ladies on formal nights wear a knee-length cocktail dress or sundress.  A few wear dressy pants and blouses.  Most men wear dress pants and a button-down shirt or polo.  

Where do you usually sail from? I have been on 5 cruises this year (number 6 tomorrow), all out of Florida ports. On formal nights/dress your best nights I have not witnessed anything close to what you described (what most ladies and men wear).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, curtsfan said:

Thanks for your input,  I agree about the boys dressing up.  The problem we are encountering is that we are in Disney for 3 days before the cruise & 2 after.  We were hoping to dress lightly.  But I also think a nice pair of shorts & polo would be fine. 

So is this a short cruise?  If so, you'll find dress will be more informal.  

And the issue is suitcase space?  Or that you'll be washing clothes but hope to use the same items in Disney and on the ship?  Are you driving to Florida?  If so, could you pack one suitcase for Disney /a second for the cruise -- and leave one suitcase in the car?  

7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Where do you usually sail from? I have been on 5 cruises this year (number 6 tomorrow), all out of Florida ports. On formal nights/dress your best nights I have not witnessed anything close to what you described (what most ladies and men wear).

Florida ports.  To expand upon what I typically see: 

- On a regular evening, most ladies tend to wear casual sundresses or dress pants /dressy blouses -- things that wouldn't be out of place in a typical office.  Capris seem to have disappeared.  

- On formal night, maybe 1/3 of the ladies wear cocktail dresses (more short than long).  Fewer will wear dressy pants.  Most will wear the same type of things they wore on regular evenings.  

- On a regular evening, most men wear dress pants or nice jeans paired with polos or button-down shirts.  A few men will wear shorts, but they are in the minority -- most of the shorts are on boys.  

- On formal night, a few men will wear suits or suit jackets, but most will wear the same things they wore on regular evenings -- perhaps with fewer jeans and more dress pants.  

The overall vibe is casual /resort-casual.  Shorts-but-not-sloppy.  With the exception of a handful of surly teens, you won't see a lot of athleti-leisure in the dining room; that is, you'll see some men in shorts, but they'll be nice shorts paired with polos or button-downs, not Nike basketball shorts paired with tank tops.  In general, this board tends to say, "Anything goes!" and that's an exaggeration -- MDR diners don't dress like my high school students in PJ pants and stretchy shorts.  

If you choose to dress up, you won't be alone.  If you choose to dress casually /middle-of-the-road, you'll be in the majority.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, njkruzer said:

You're fine.  Enjoy the trip with grandchildren. We're taking our granddaughter on the Navigator in July.  She lives in Burbank and will be 11+ .  She'll probably do her own packing before her parents check it.  She's been cruising since she was 2 and spent Christmas break with her parents in Australia and New Zealand. Leaving her parents home on this trip. 

I love it!  A season traveler at age 11😀