Portage Glacier Cruise with return transportation Whittier

whee-sailing

Princess only offers the Portage Glacier excursion if you're getting off the ship in Whittier. I'm getting back on the ship. I went to the Gray Line web site for the Portage Glacier cruise and they only offer a self-drive option and a round-trip transportation for Anchorage option. I've contacted them to see if they offer anything from Whittier but haven't heard back yet. Has anyone been able to book a Portage Glacier Cruise with return transportation for Whittier? Will there be vendors offering this at the port?

Thanks!

You are doing a B2B?

No, there will not be vendors offering this at the port.

Have you considered renting a car in Whittier for the day? Driving yourself and then back?

Princess does offer excursions for the day for B2B cruisers. Though sometimes they are cancelled due to lack of interest. I forget which ones are offered - I want to say a kayaking in Whittier, 26 Glacier, a trip to Anchorage for time on your own (this is one that has been cancelled due to lack of interest on cruises I have been on), etc...

I booked it as one cruise, but I it's technically a B2B.

The only excursion Princess is offering for B2Bers is the 26 Glacier one. The ship will be in College Fjord the day before so I'm not really interested in that excursion.

I was hoping to avoid renting a car, but it's sounding like it's my only option. Thanks!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, whee-sailing said:

The only excursion Princess is offering for B2Bers is the 26 Glacier one. The ship will be in College Fjord the day before so I'm not really interested in that excursion.

They may offer more excursions once on the ship, depending on how many people are on the ship for 14 nights.

I do have to say, 26 glacier trip gets a lot closer and is a great excursion, even if doing College Fiords via ship.

Or you can rent a car.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

@whee-sailing  Book a car in Whittier but make inquiry NOW.  Keep in mind you will have to pay RT for the Whittier Access Tunnel in addition to the car...unless the car rental takes care of that which I would doubt.  This area of the Seward Highway is the best area so you will have options other than just Portage Glacier.  Keep in mind the cost of any excursion from the cruise line and the car will probably be pretty expensive also.  Keep in mind getting back through the tunnel and pay attention to the tunnel schedule.  Don't worry about it.  It will make sense when you are there, and Whittier is a tiny place and most everything is right there at the harbor. 

• Thanks 1