Wheelchair assistance at Southampton coach destination

pennib

Apologies if this has been covered before but I was wondering how it is possible to get from a coach to the  check in area in Southampton cruise terminal for a cruise. I cannot stand in queues and DH cannot walk far without a wheelchair. If it requires a booking for assistance who do I arrange that with please?

2 hours ago, pennib said:

Apologies if this has been covered before but I was wondering how it is possible to get from a coach to the  check in area in Southampton cruise terminal for a cruise. I cannot stand in queues and DH cannot walk far without a wheelchair. If it requires a booking for assistance who do I arrange that with please?

You need to complete a passenger assistance form which is accessed through your P&O account. Even if not taking your own wheelchair you should contact P&O to ask if you can have assistance to board. There are wheelchairs and pushers in the assistance area in the terminal. It is essential that you arrange this in advance. As for the coach, there is a coach lane outside departures but you have to get from there to the terminal. Are you on an Intercruises coach?

Eavesway will drop off at the coach stop. You won’t have to deal with your luggage, the driver will take it to the porters and it will be outside your door later that day. 

1 hour ago, pennib said:

No but many thanks for your advice

Pennib, Assistance does not start until you get inside the terminal, at Ocean It’s on the left as you go in and at Mayflower it is to the right before you go up the ramp. If assistance is needed from coach to the terminal I would suggest you need to have your own chair.

26 minutes ago, sandancer said:

You must tell P&O even if you don’t take your own wheelchair. The assistance desk has a list and unless you are on it you won’t get the required help. 

Not only that but under the current more strict rules you may be denied boarding.

• Like 5

If you can't walk the few yards from the coach to the terminal you probably won't be able to cope with the steps on the coach. Eavesway (and Intercruise) often use Ellisons coaches which have several high steps from the door to the passenger cabin as it sits on top of the luggage hold. There is one seat on a lower level, next to the driver and, as you can imagine, needs to be booked.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, daiB said:

Pennib, Assistance does not start until you get inside the terminal, at Ocean It’s on the left as you go in and at Mayflower it is to the right before you go up the ramp. If assistance is needed from coach to the terminal I would suggest you need to have your own chair.

I'm not sure if it is entirely correct to say that assistance only starts once you get inside the terminal. Twice in recent years, once with P&O (last year) and once with Celebrity, we have travelled with mother in law and on both occasions she was wheeled from the car park drop off point by porters via check-in and onto the ship.

She should have been travelling with us again last November on Aurora, but changed her mind after paying the final balance having decided that her mobility had deteriorated to such an extent that she wouldn't be able to enjoy her cruise. 

I should add that they provided the wheelchair.

Edited by AchileLauro

Posted (edited)

I apologise but think I may be misunderstanding here.    How will the gentleman manage on board.  I didn't think you could use the on board assistance ones.  When I needed one it cost me £200 to hire (motorised)

Edited by indiana123

8 hours ago, indiana123 said:

I apologise but think I may be misunderstanding here.    How will the gentleman manage on board.  I didn't think you could use the on board assistance ones.  When I needed one it cost me £200 to hire (motorised)

I too was wondering how they would manage on board if they are expressing concern about their abilities to get from the coach to check-in without assistance, especially so if the cruise is on one of the larger ships.