Just Back from Japan on Riviera: A Few Thoughts

cjwags

It's not all by subway!  You have to take the Yokohama subway to get to the commuter station to get the train to Tokyo (30 minutes) and then use the Tokyo subway.  Sounds complicated but it isn't.  Have cash for tickets and then be aware that the Japanese stand in line behind each other as they gather, they let people off the trains first before they get on.  I can't remember the stations we went to, but people are very helpful.  We can't wait to go back to Japan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, godfreyb said:

It's not all by subway!  You have to take the Yokohama subway to get to the commuter station to get the train to Tokyo (30 minutes) and then use the Tokyo subway.  Sounds complicated but it isn't.  Have cash for tickets and then be aware that the Japanese stand in line behind each other as they gather, they let people off the trains first before they get on.  I can't remember the stations we went to, but people are very helpful.  We can't wait to go back to Japan.

Thank you so much. From what I remember from my previous visits there were always people who asked if they could help and I believe the ticket machines had information available in English. I will try to get a subway / local train plan or overview. We still have plenty of time to work it out. And I agree - Japan is a beautiful and very interesting country. My last visit there was in 2019 - surely things have changed since. Enjoy your travels and thank you again - Monika

On 4/22/2024 at 9:20 AM, godfreyb said:

We love taking local transportation and often reply on Citymapper app - but I just checked and it says Tokyo is in beta. Guessing there's some other similar app that is fully launched that covers Tokyo?

Citymapper is amazingly helpful in a strange-to-you city, it handles mixed-mode very well, reminds you when your stop is near, guides you through transfers, suggests best spot on platform etc etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1