Sydney, NS on Volendam?

I know I'm in the minority, but I love stopping at Sydney. I've been on cruises stopping there since 1998 and I have seen all the changes to the port and the little town in that time. One my first cruise, we called on a Sunday and most of the recommended shops & restaurants were closed. But there was a lovely church that offered lobster lunches for $10 and you got dessert! There was a craft fair in the church hall to wander through after the delicious lunch.
Other stops I've done the walking tour of Sydney, which was fantastic, and ended up with tea and oatcakes. I've also attended the music performances at the new port facility. That was greet fun.
But mostly I just walk into town. Usually by Sydney, we realize we need something from the pharmacy or a similar shop, and the shops are close enough to walk to and still see a good bit of the town. On my last stop in Sydney, I happened past a dance wear shop and there was a sale on, so I got myself a new pair of tap shoes! I'm still tapping with those. There is a Tim Horton's we usually stop at before heading back to the ship. It's just a lovely little town.

I know it's not a popular opinion but I really like that Holland America calls at the smaller, not-yet-ready-for-prime-time ports like Sydney, St. Pierre et Miquelon, Baie-Comeau, and Sagenuay. I have never really had a bad port stop or one that I would not like to visit again on the Canada/New England route. And the people in the towns are so nice. Sure the big places like Halifax, Montreal and Quebec are great, but I really like visiting the little places that might be harder for the average tourist to find if not for the cruise stop. Sydney is one of those places. I'm both glad and sorry that it's gotten a bit bigger with more to do in the last 26 years. I do miss the delightful lobster lunch at the church hall.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, jlawrence01 said:

Personally, I would like to see more stops in Newfoundland and the Maritime and maybe fewer in Maine.

On my last cruise, we were supposed to have 3 stops in Newfoundland -- Corner Brook, St. Anthony, and St. John's, but we missed St. Anthony due to sea conditions. We were really sorry to miss St. Anthony as brother was looking forward to the L'Anse aux Meadows tour.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, jlawrence01 said:

Personally, I would like to see more stops in Newfoundland and the Maritime and maybe fewer in Maine.

I agree.  I love the stops I have made in the Maritimes.  It is one of my favorite places to cruise.  I have cruised 5 times and driven there a few times too and am looking at another cruise for this summer.  Wonderful place. But I am still not fond of Sydney. 

Edited by Mary229

I just get off to take a picture of the ship I'm on:  On a perfect day., on a different cruiseline.

I've been back on N Statendam, Zaandam and Zuiderdam over the last two years but the reflection was never the same.  (Note the fiddle)

New Canon 100 213.JPG

• Like 2

Just now, C 2 C said:

I just get off to take a picture of the ship I'm on:  On a perfect day., on a different cruiseline.

I've been back on N Statendam, Zaandam and Zuiderdam over the last two years but the reflection was never the same.  (Note the fiddle)

New Canon 100 213.JPG

IMG_2596.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2024 at 8:54 AM, CapeBretonLove said:

Hi. As a citizen of Sydney and a tour guide I hope I can help you find some fun accessible things to do in Sydney. Sydney is very much rich in culture and people personality, rather than posh stores and loads of development. You have gone back in time here so savour that perspective. That's how we like it! Cape Breton is world famous for our local people, friendly witty banter, music culture and lively personalities. We are warm, authentic, personable, proud and hilarious. If you can tap into the people here you will find this is a very exciting place! Please strike up a conversation or three, you will be pleasantly surprised with how much time folks have for you here. When you arrive on the dock you cannot see the heritage downtown area with shops and cafes as there is a hill rising from the port and it is on the diagonal and behind the Esplanade. Search your maps for Charlotte Street! I encourage folks to go up the hill to the shops (only just up the small hill and over one street.) Directly up from the Port is the historic North End which has some of the oldest wooden homes (1700's) in North America. Many of the homes and churches are free venues with interpreters and the history is fascinating. If socializing with the locals is more your thing try Island Folk Cider House, very modern and cosy (5 mins or less walk from Port) or for a ceilidh atmosphere, maybe fiddle tunes, go to Governers (5 mins walk). There are more pubs and restaurants all along Charlotte Street. If you want gifts outside the cruise pavillion on the dock, on Charlotte Street I highly recommend Cape Breton Craft and Design (local artisan) and the Curiousity Shop (Gift shop we locals shop here, souvenirs, Gaelic books, music books, tartans, knick knacks, cards, jewelry) You could take a leisurely walk down Charlotte to Wentworth Park which has a small lake, it's beautiful and in a gorgeous neighbourhood of stately wooden homes and churches built in the early 20th century by wealthy industrialists, then come back along the boardwalk which will take you right to your Ship. These are just a few of the easiest, inexpensive things to do. Honestly I do feel the key to enjoying Sydney is connecting with the locals. If you are a little shyer it's also a slow paced gentle place that will sooth your nerves. Hope that is helpful. I love this place and I lived many years in large cosmopolitan cities and travelled the world.

Thank you for this information. What tour are you a guide?

Did the Alexander Graham Bell Museum Tour. Fairly long drive but the weather was beautiful and great scenery. Actual time spent at the museum was adequate. It's in the quaint village of Baddeck. The Cape Breton Island sits on the Bras dOr Lake. Being into photograph I spent time taking great pictures of the beauty of the area.

• Like 1

We have been to Sydney a couple of times on cruises, and visited Cape Breton one year with our car. We loved the area, the town itself is friendly and welcoming.  We had a great time chatting in the tea shop and at the kiosks down at the wharf. The historical sights in Cape Breton are well worth a visit. As an area to visit whether by car trip or cruise stop, we love it.