NCL Free Airfare for second guest--Rome

My wife and I intend to do an NCL Mediterranean cruise out of Rome (Civitavecchia) in the summer of 2025 and I am trying to "recruit" some other couples to go with us. I have cruised with NCL before and enjoyed the experience. I see the "NCL Free Airfare for second guest" applies to the cruises that I am interested in. I contacted NCL today to ask some general questions and asked about airfare program. They told me that IF I book using this promotion that IF we book using their hotel choice we can fly into Rome up to 3 days pre-cruise or fly out up to 3 days post-cruise. IF I book my own hotel than that would reduce to 2 days pre and/or post cruise. I would prefer to arrive 3 days early but could make the 2 day pre-arrival and 2 day post-departure work.

Does anyone mind to share their experience with booking air through NCL to Rome and either positive or negative experiences? I am assuming that NCL chooses the flights for us or do we get to choose the flights? I was wondering what hotel NCL uses to book for Rome for the 3 day arrival? Maybe location is not great or cost of hotel negates the flight savings? Buy 1 get 1 airfare seems like a really good deal. I am quite a bit out from my trip but just trying to get an idea of if I should use the NCL deal or not. I have read mixed reviews on their airfare program but it seems like I have read that when traveling to Europe, it is the way to go. We use the Holland America Flight Ease program last year when traveling to Alaska and it was a great program. 

There are lots of threads on this topic... you can read the pros and cons for days..... Personally, I disagree that it is the way to go for Europe.  I would be much more inclined to let someone (or a computer) chose my flights for a domestic trip than for an overseas trip.   For a trans Atlantic trip, I would much rather pick my flights, seats, class and most importantly layover times..

No question, however, you can save some money.  Good luck.

We did the air program, but not the hotel, choosing to find our own hotel instead. We are flying in one day early, and our flight from NYC goes through Paris on Delta to Rome, and arrives at a good time. We were able to choose our seats on this flight, and I arranged a special, gluten-free meal. Our return flight is through Lisbon on TAP. After spending an hour on hold, I discovered we’d have to pay for assigned seats and to request a special meal. One saving grace on this flight is the times are good. We may end up paying for these amenities, but we’re still hoping we can get them free somehow.

Overall, our experience has been fine. If you’re flying out of Missouri, I doubt you were planning on a nonstop flight, so you won’t be disappointed there. If you’re not picky about times and airlines, then I think it’s a fine way to go.

I think Ncl also has a Premium Air Department. I believe via that department, you can pay extra to have a better class of airfare , and maybe choose your flights.  Not sure, but I have heard Premium Airfare mentioned before.

While I cannot speak to the NCL air program (since we have not used it) I have heard way too many really bad tales of how bad it can be if/when things go wrong.  Just remember...you're dealing with a "middleman" as far as your air reservation goes.  While they post what is termed an "emergency in route" phone number to use...*many* people have stated that no one answers phones.  I always say that "I prefer to be in control of my own destiny" and book air directly with the airline (Delta in my case).  If that means making my own mistakes...so be it.  It's just a lot easier in dealing directly with the airline if things need to change.

We have bought NCL air from Toronto to Rome,  then Miami to Toronto, for a Transatlantic cruise before.

We did 2day deviation before, and after, and did our own hotel booking, and transfer arrangements.  At that time, 2d is the maximum deviation.  Interesting to hear they offer 3day deviation now.

There are lots of pros and cons to buy air from NCL and there are lots of threads and posts.  For us, the money saved was good.  We knew were were taking a chance and can get bad flight/connection times.  You have to decide if that's for you.

• Like 1

We used it for our Med Cruise back in 2022.  They put us on Air Canada out of Newark Liberty with a layover in Montreal.  We got to Rome 3 days early and we had NCL make us our hotel reservations.  We stayed at the Golden Tulip Rome Piram.  Great location, clean and good for our family of four.  We had 2 bedrooms and the bathroom was a bit small.  There is a bar on the rooftop which was nice and the restaurant was good.  On our way home there was a bit of a problem with Canada Air, not NCL.  They had us leaving the following day according to their computer but I had my paperwork with me and they put us on stand by.  As we were waiting they realized their mistake and we were assigned our seats.

You can find much cheaper hotels (and probably better for you) on your own, than what NCL will provide. I do understand the allure of three days versus two, though, and would pay more for the hotel if the flight cost make sense.

We used the NCL BOGO Program for our trip last November from Barcelona to NY. We flew from SYR>JFK>CDG>BCN. The trip went just fine. No issues and we were able to upgrade to more leg room for that JFK>CDG stretch. 

You say you're going with others - you should know that you are only guaranteed to fly with the person staying in your stateroom. Others may be split on to other flights, airlines, departures, arrivals, etc. It could span the entire day. 

You are correct that NCL will book your flights. You have no say, whatsoever, on these flights. If you don't like them? If you want flexibility? Too bad. You will probably be able to select your seats (like we were able to), but you might not be able to. For that SYR>JFK flight, we did select the seats, then the selection got lost, then we were just given whatever seats were left (happened to be comfort plus, so yay). 

Basically, you just have to be willing to take what you get. Go into with that mindset and you'll be fine. Also know, that if your flight is delayed/canceled/etc. you will have to work with the airline. NCL won't help you. It's not their job to and they are very clear about this.

Read this before booking flights and know that anything on this page can happen to you:

https://www.ncl.com/air-service-standards

For what it's worth - my husband and I WILL use NCL BOGO Program again if the price is right.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

For what it's worth - my husband and I WILL use NCL BOGO Program again if the price is right.

The price is usually right...the flights usually aren't. (Or so I've heard),

Having said that, we've actually booked the BOGO from O'Hare to New York and then London to O'Hare for our TA next April. We can always change it, if needed.

Speaking of the Price is Right...it was okay on the Pr1ma.

Wheel of Fortune on the Jade? Even Pat and Vanna couldn't save that fiasco. No matter how many vowels were purchased.

Okay, back to the BOGO discussion.

Edited by schmoopie17