London train to Southampton

kevboy

Can anyone please advise the best train from London to Southampton on a Sunday ( Arvia - 18th Aug). I am initially travelling from Purley and there seems to be multiple choices available to me. Do I make my way to Waterloo or connect at Clapham?  any advice gratefully appreciated.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kevboy said:

Can anyone please advise the best train from London to Southampton on a Sunday ( Arvia - 18th Aug). I am initially travelling from Purley and there seems to be multiple choices available to me. Do I make my way to Waterloo or connect at Clapham?  any advice gratefully appreciated.

Most South Western Railway Trains to Southampton Central  will stop at Clapham Junction from Waterloo  anyway.

Depending on which train you take you may have to change at Basingstoke 

Clapham Junction will be easier as the Purley Train stops there.

Being A Sunday it is possible of Engineering works or even a Strike day or Overtime Ban.

Check on the National Rail Website Journey Planner nearer the date.

Avoid using The Southern service  to Southampton Central due to the length of route/time they take.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Edited by LifeonMars

I would not change at Clapham Junction.  The train will stop there for barely a minute.  Assuming you have bags with you, surveying the train for where there are empty seats then getting on will be all very rushed. On top of that, the platforms used by this service are on a sharp curve, which makes getting onto the train even more awkward.

I would definitely do to Waterloo, which is where those trains start.  Start there and you will have ample time (they'll usually be in the platform waiting at least 15 minutes ahead of departure) to saunter down the platform, figuring our where there is plenty of seats, and getting settled before the off.

(Re the comment on the Southern Service to Southampton - that service stops running at the timetable change in June, so it's not an option anyway)

• Like 1

As has been mentioned, I'd be very wary of the possibility of engineering work on a Sunday. Rail replacement bus services for part of the route are no fun, especially if you have a lot of luggage. The National Rail Journey planner may help with determining the quickest route from Purley to Southampton, but it won't tell you about things like the possible trickiness of boarding a train at Clapham Junction that was mentioned above: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ You'd need to check it nearer the time, though, as I don't suppose the summer timetable will be up yet.