If Fire Breaks Out in Your Room or Balcony...

Do only that which is the most important things for you to do.

First you have to have your priorities established. And they should be as follows:

1. Get out of your cabin to a safe area as directed by cruise liner staff.

2. Remember you first have to survive the fire before you can contact a lawyer to sue the cruise line.

Same goes for a fire in a hotel or motel.

I'll bring the chocolate!

The Marshmallow scenario reminds me of a lumber yard fire across the street from my apartment in 1993. 5:30 a.m. and the first thing the landlord said while running up the stairs was "who has the marshmallows?"

Steamboatin...

When I am on a ship (or in a restaurant anywhere), the first thing I think of is, "How can I get out of here fast?" When I first get to my cabin, I look at the escape route on the back of my door and also check for alternate routes, just in case. I'm not paranoid or anything, but just want to be aware. I keep my $$, passport and meds in the same place, so it's just a matter of five seconds to grab them all as I head toward the appropriate spot.

We do the same things ourselves for the same reasons you stated.

We always keep our clothes on the floor at the spot where we would turn to get out of bed with wallet in their pockets and shoes as well by the bed for not having to be undressed outside of fire area. You may wish to keep cameras near by as well. If urgent enough we will carry clothing to put on later.

Regardless your life is more important than anything else in your cabin so it depends upon the urgency of the moment. Also what is not happening in your area may be happening along your exit way. So time wasted in your cabin/room could mean the difference of a later problem in exiting down the way later such as fire or smoke in the hallway or stairwell. Time is of the essence so use it wisely.

I was just joking in my previous posting.

I was just joking in my previous posting.

But good advice anyway.

2. Remember you first have to survive the fire before you can contact a lawyer to sue the cruise line.

:D Lacking that, your heirs will be able to live the lavish lifestyle.

[sound of glasses clinking]

Bob: "ummmm. Nice balcony. You booked a good cruise."

Tina: "Best I could find. And lots more to come."

[cabin steward arrives with an ice bucket of champagne]

Bob: "Thank you, boy; here's something for your trouble."

Tina: "What was that line your parents were on?"

Bob: "Beats me. Was it Holland Celebrity? Or Norwegian Carnival?"

Tina: [sipping champagne] One of them. Who cares? Too bad what happened.

Bob: "Yeah. But they're in a better place now."

Tina: "Yup; and so are we." [giggles]

Bob: "You having too much of that stuff?"

Tina: [giggles] "You can't even remember what line you sued." [giggles]

Bob: "I left that to my lawyers. Royal Cunard Cruise Line, I think."

Tina: "But the cruise line wasn't responsible."

Bob: "Care? We got the tv time, we got the magazine space, I cried all over."

Tina: "If I pour this bubbly on me, will you lick it off? [giggles]

[cabin steward arrives]

Steward: "The captain sends his regards. He kindly requests that since we are now in port, you also kindly put some clothes on. Thank you."

Tina: [giggles] Ooopsy doopsy; time to get the twins dressed for din-din."

I've also heard that you should take your room key in case you get out in the hall (whether on a ship or in a hotel) and your exits are blocked. If you have your room key with you, you'll be able to get back into your room. Otherwise you'll be stuck out in the hall with fire and/or smoke. I always have my room key on the night stand right next to my bed.

Fire on a ship at sea is a very real safety concern that all should be aware of. All of the advice above is great advice. Most importantly, remain calm. As a first responder (Police Officer) I can attest to the fact that mass hysteria is often more of a safety risk than the event that caused it. Of course, this does not mean don't immediately grab your life jacket and head up on deck. If the fire is close to your stateroom, evacuate immediately. I would say that in the event of fire, go ahead and take your life jacket....its bulky yes, but in the event you are forced to go overboard you will be glad you have it with you. Modern ships are very well equipped to fight fire, and the crew on the bridge should be aware of a fire and its location fairly quickly after the outbreak.

Ryan

I'm glad I decided to read this post because you guys have given me some good tips! I always have a flashlight next to the bed and my slippers and robe. Now, I will also make sure my purse with meds, I.D. and room key are also nearby. I will also remember to grab a life jacket which is something I never thought of before. I pray that this never happens to anyone again but you just never know and it is always best to be prepared then to be sorry. Thank you all for your tips.:D

• 3 weeks later...

One very important thing to remember. If there is a fire in your cabin, leave your cabin at once and remember to closeyou cabin door. This will stop the spread of the fire to the hallway and help other to use the hallway as a way to exit. Stay calm. Keep a bag in the closet with all your meds for a couple of days.. One more thing. LISTEN to the anoucments. Do not cause a panic.

Larry EX firefighter

tomc: You are one sick puppy.:)

I just realized that in the event of a fire, folks with balcony cabins have the option of going outside for more air ... the rest of us don't have that option. Note to self: bring along an axe to break the window in case of a fire! Oh man, will the axe replace the crock pot or the George Foreman grill ???

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

On a more serious note, if you cannot manage to take along your lifejacket, they do have them up on deck at the life boats, so don't worry too much about it. Also, if you are evacuated, you probably won't be able to carry on anything, so leave your purse behind, anything you want to take will have to fit into your pockets.

Thank you to those with a sense of humor, while it's not a funny subject, humor can probably do more good for those around you than anything else, it can have a calming effect.

Archived