If Fire Breaks Out in Your Room or Balcony...

This Princess fire has made me realize I really don't know what I would do if I woke up at 3:00 in the morning and my cabin or the balcony was in a raging fire I couldn't hope to extinguish on my own. What do you do? What do you suppose the guest or guests on Princess did who first noticed the fire?

Do you try to put it out? Do you run for the phone and dial...heck, what number do you dial? Do you run to the hall screaming, "Fire! Fire!" Do you bang on neighbors' doors? Is there a fire alarm in every room or every few feet in the corridor you can pull? Do you try to get the hose out of the firebox and even if you do, how do you get it to work?

I realize now that I don't know the answers. We do musters, of course, but we really don't have more than a general plan. I guess I assumed that the crew would handle things, but this Princess fire makes me realize that passengers may be the first to see a fire, not the crew.

If anyone here knows the best procedure, please tell us. One thing I know, time would be of the essence.

I have always had a plan in case of fire:

1. I always keep a flashlight in my night table.

2.I keep all my meds and my hubbies meds in my night table in a plastic bag.

3. I always count the doors to the nearest stairway from my room the first day I am on the ship.

4. If a fire brakes out...I would wet down some towels, gather my things in night table...

5. I would feel my door to make sure it was not hot.

6. I would crutch low to the ground and slowly open the door, using my body to keep it from pushing open.

7. Head toward the exit and go to where ever the instructions told me to go, using the nearest stairway.

That is my plan which I hope to never have to use.

If the fire happened in my room I would leave right away, and go to a place where I knew there would be cruise personal. I would tell them and let them handle it...I would not scream, attempt to put the fire out (unless it was very little) and I certainly would not tell anyone else, because who knows how they may react and no one wants people panicing all over the place.

Well, there are contingencies certainly.

For one thing, if you have a balcony, and if worst came to worst, suit up in the life jacket. But you'd probably be best to make it out to the door, and if your ship had cell serivce, use that immediately to call your own ship while tryiing to find cruise personnel to put it out. I'm sure that there are some sort of fire alarms to detect and alert crew asap anyway.

Most ships do have smoke detectors in every room. If you search the boards, there have been some isolated fires that have occurred in some cabins, and usually the crew that deals with these things was there before nearby cabins even knew there was a problem. I would say dial 0 on the phone and be as brief and calm as possible giving them your cabin number first. First and foremost, prevent them to begin with. If you must smoke, DON'T throw the butts off the balcony!!!! I was shocked to hear from one of the people on the Star that once they let people start moving around again after the muster, there were people smoking and flinging butts off the side of the ship again.

This Princess fire has made me realize I really don't know what I would do if I woke up at 3:00 in the morning and my cabin or the balcony was in a raging fire I couldn't hope to extinguish on my own. What do you do? What do you suppose the guest or guests on Princess did who first noticed the fire?
You shouldn't have to put the fire out yourself. Cruise ship staterooms are equipped with chemical fire extinguishing sprinklers (a million years ago I worked for a construction company that installed these systems, and I still notice these things). Also, the smoke should trigger an alarm, and -- if that fails -- there will be an alarm when the sprinkler begins to operate. The bottom line: the crew should know the exact location of a fire.

So your first thought should be getting your family OUT and to safety. I think someone else brought up a good point about the flashlight, knowing where exits are located, and having your essentials in a ready-to-go bag.

Personally, I don't know if I'd bother with the life jacket. It'd encumber your exit in the crowded halls, and chances are very good that you're not going to leave the ship. If the situation's bad enough for lifeboats, there are more lifejackets available at the muster location. I guess that'd be a judgement call based upon the circumstances that present themselves. If possible, I'd take shoes and a sweatshirt; I think it'd be wise to assume that you're going to be out of your room for a couple hours (even if your room isn't the one affected); if you get back in quickly, no harm done by carrying these things -- if you stay out on deck for hours, you'll be more comfortable.

I read in another thread the idea of lining your cabin safe with a plastic bag before placing your valuables (passport, cash, travelers checks, possibly jewelry) in it.

In the event of an emergency that might result in evacuation of the ship, you could just grab your bag of valuables out of the safe and take it with you.

I like the idea because if you were evacuated and taken via lifeboat to a safer place, you'd have your passport and funds with you.

Of course, we all hope we will never be involved in a situation that might necessitate this.

Forget everything else, FIRST AND FOREMOST AND THE ONLY THING TO DO IS GET OUT OF THE ROOM and then go for help away from the fire. DO NOTHING ELSE BUT GET OUT. Any fire department or firefighter will tell you that. Set up in advance with your family a meeting location for everyone in the room.

Besides getting out of your cabin (djkretired, the ship has already established a meeting place for everyone, the muster stations, go there, they will take roll call!) it is imperative for people to stay calm and quiet.

In my job, we have instances of emergency on occasion and it is very important to remain as poised as possible. If panic sets forth, people become confused and it makes the whole situation worse for everyone. People get more scared and confused when there is pandemonium. How many times have you not been able to hear directions because someone close by is talking? How many times have you heard a person making an announcement have to repeat themselves over and over? How many times have you been misinformed by the loudmouth next to you and you have no idea what is really taking place?

As the people onboard this ship also found, it takes hours sometimes to settle a problem, you have to have patience. Don't assume every worker on the ship has all the answers to your problems.

The bag by the night table is a good idea for any meds that must be taken, but please, never try to carry a lot with you in an emergency situation.

...misinformed by the loudmouth and you have no idea what is really taking place ... Don't assume every worker on the ship has all the answers to your problems.
No pax knows what is happening and, almost certainly, hardly any crew. Crew members each have a place to be and a set of instructions as what to do once they are there. Knowing the problem is not one of them. A "go bag" is good, a quick call to the desk ("0" or "911") if it's in your cabin is ok, but getting your @ out of there is essential. The crew is trained for every possible eventuality short of the Second Coming.

I read in another thread the idea of lining your cabin safe with a plastic bag before placing your valuables (passport, cash, travelers checks, possibly jewelry) in it.

In the event of an emergency that might result in evacuation of the ship, you could just grab your bag of valuables out of the safe and take it with you.

I like the idea because if you were evacuated and taken via lifeboat to a safer place, you'd have your passport and funds with you.

Of course, we all hope we will never be involved in a situation that might necessitate this.

Please tell me you are joking?

For heavens sake - if the alarms go GET OUT. All that would matter to me is my wife went first, and that we each had our lifejacket. Everything else is replaceable.

Those requiring medicines would obviously take those too.

The rest can burn or drown.

If it isn't a real emergency then they'll be there for you later.

I have a standard plan of action whenever I stay in a hotel. A ship is, in this context, a floating hotel.

You need to know (a) all the routes out of your cabin and down to the muster station/meeting point (b) where the fire alarm is © have thought in advance what to do if you can't get out via the door.

This latter point is a great advantage of a balcony. At least you can get out into real air. Gives the rescuers more time to think.

A couple of minutes researching this doesn't make much difference to your holiday if nothing happens. It could be critical if something does.

I believe ships, like aircraft, should have low level illumination to show you the way out.

I think what scared me the most...and I'm not even remembering where I read this but it stated that the fire was so hot that some of the door's locks melted. I hope that doesn't mean you could not get the door open. Now that I think about it maybe they were talking about the balcony doors.

Many thanks to you all for your answers. I have learned some things I will apply. One: The "get-the-heck-out bag of meds, passport and flashlight."

Two: I'll get out as fast as I can. I probably won't wear a life jacket, but I'll carry one. I hope I can find my flip flops.

Three: If time permits, and it may not, grab a warm sweater or jacket.

I know this sounds stupid, but many of the life jackets have a foam type of material inside. Is the orange protective covering fire retardent? I remember from my teenage days that certain types of foam (specifically those little foam wedges you use for applying makeup & foundation) burn REALLY QUICKLY! I mean, as soon as fire touched the edge, the whole thing was aflame! Is all foam like this? Also, do staterooms have fire extinguishers?

Front Desk: "May we help you?"

Pax: "Yes. Could you send up some marshmallows?"

FD: "Certainly, sir. When would you like them?"

Pax: "As soon as possible. We will be leaving our cabin soon."

FD: "Anything else?"

Pax: "Do you have a booklet of campfire songs?"

FD: "I'm afraid not, but I can ask the CD in the morning."

Pax: "There may not be a morning. How about two umbrellas?"

FD: "It's not raining outside, sir. Your balcony should be dry."

Pax: "We don't need them for the balcony; they're for our room."

FD: "Your room? I don't understand."

Pax: "The sprinkler should be going off any minute now."

FD: "Why is that?"

Pax: "The fire on our balcony has spread inside."

FD: "You mean your cabin is on fire?"

Pax: "Basically, yes. I think you can cancel the marshmallows."

:confused: huh?

I always check number of doors to exits and where the fire alarm is, if there is one. Keep flashlight by the bed and slippers handy and the kimono provided makes a good cover up or you can grab the blanket off the bed before heading out.

I think the first thing to do is get out! Fire spreads so quickly and the only irreplaceable thing is your life. I believe there are switches on the wall that you can pull to alert the ship to a fire in your location.

We had a small fire on our last cruise and the captain came on the intercom and warned us that it was a yellow alert - I went into the corridor and saw the lights on the floor along the wall. The captain kept updating us until they found the source of the smoke and put out the fire. they then announced stand down to the crew and assurances to the passengers that there was no longer a threat. The few that came out into the corridor returned to their rooms and that was it. I was impressed with the constant flow of information to the pax.

:) ;)

chuckles....

What? No chocolate bars and grahm crackers? You can X me off the list for your stateroom campfire. If you don't have chocolate, I'm not attending!!!

Archived