Another question regarding Santorini

getawaygirl

We will be arriving in Santorini on the Odyssey in late May. We are docked from 1pm til 11pm and it appears there will be 3 ships in port. We plan to do our own thing (no tours are available /sold out of things of interest to us) We would really like to catch the sunset from Santo Winery and I saw we could actually catch a bus there, or maybe even walk (we're in ok shape) My question is, for the way back, do they have the steps coming down "lit up?" I know the sunset will be a little later (8:30ish) but I'm worried about walking down steps in the dark if cable car line is too crowded. Thanks for any info.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, getawaygirl said:

We will be arriving in Santorini on the Odyssey in late May. We are docked from 1pm til 11pm and it appears there will be 3 ships in port. We plan to do our own thing (no tours are available /sold out of things of interest to us) We would really like to catch the sunset from Santo Winery and I saw we could actually catch a bus there, or maybe even walk (we're in ok shape) My question is, for the way back, do they have the steps coming down "lit up?" I know the sunset will be a little later (8:30ish) but I'm worried about walking down steps in the dark if cable car line is too crowded. Thanks for any info.

I couldn't find any now, but I have seen online pictures of the donkey path/steps lit with lights at night in the past.  I would call it "dimly lit" in the pictures.  Like one light on a pole at each switchback turn.  But as for current conditions, I'm afraid I don't have personal experience.  Maybe bring along a little LED flashlight to help out too.

Edited to add:  I found the pic I had seen.  These lights look awfully bright.  Perhaps they've updated them or it's just good photography.  You can read the entire thread on the topic using the link.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2951301-santorini-donkey-trail/?do=findComment&comment=65809584

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, getawaygirl said:

We would really like to catch the sunset from Santo Winery

OOPS. my bad, but here it is anyway.

Should your plans change and you need a Plan B, with that late a sailing, only wanting to point out that your ship will be anchored in the caldera and you will be able to watch the sunset in its entirety from the comfort of the ship.😀

Edited by edinburgher