Mediterranean Ports - How easy is it to catch a taxi for 5?

Y'all.  Once again, I need help from you guys.  Y'all are so awesome and I honestly get so much info from here.

So we are cruising through the med (i've been to Europe BUT first time cruising in the Med) in early August this year on the Viva as a family of 5 and we are booking quite a bit of excursions from a 3rd party vendor.

I know it is riskier but I am making sure that there are plenty of time before and after the excursion to leave from the port and get back to.  I opted for 3rd party because of the variety.  I was surprised how limited the choices are given by NCL. (Also they are all reserve now but cancelable if needed up to 2 days prior)

My only concern is there are excursions that I am being picked up from the port and being dropped off back at the port vs there are ones I have to make it to the meeting point and I am not sure how readily available the taxis are especially for an odd number of 5 people. 

The ones that I am concerned are Gibraltar, Cadiz(Seville), Motril(Granada) and Marseille.

Please help and thank you in advance!! 🙌

2 hours ago, smilegirl07 said:

Y'all.  Once again, I need help from you guys.  Y'all are so awesome and I honestly get so much info from here.

So we are cruising through the med (i've been to Europe BUT first time cruising in the Med) in early August this year on the Viva as a family of 5 and we are booking quite a bit of excursions from a 3rd party vendor.

I know it is riskier but I am making sure that there are plenty of time before and after the excursion to leave from the port and get back to.  I opted for 3rd party because of the variety.  I was surprised how limited the choices are given by NCL. (Also they are all reserve now but cancelable if needed up to 2 days prior)

My only concern is there are excursions that I am being picked up from the port and being dropped off back at the port vs there are ones I have to make it to the meeting point and I am not sure how readily available the taxis are especially for an odd number of 5 people. 

The ones that I am concerned are Gibraltar, Cadiz(Seville), Motril(Granada) and Marseille.

Please help and thank you in advance!! 🙌

I would post this question on the Ports of Call forum on this board. Ask for each location and you should get many answers from those that have been in your situation.

Last fall as a party of 5 we were unable to find a taxi that would take all. Drivers were adamant, 4 maximum. Always asked each driver if there were larger cabs available, no was the consistent answer.  All ports were in Spain. Hopefully ymmv.

• Like 1

Most taxis and Ubers in  Europe are small cars. 3 passengers at most.... if the driver lets you use the front seat LOL

As for excursions picking you up at meeting points, most ships dock at piers and some times they are not allowed on the pier so you have to walk off the pier. The pick up points can all be arranged with your excursion operator prior to the tour. They are normally very accommodating.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

I would post this question on the Ports of Call forum on this board. Ask for each location and you should get many answers from those that have been in your situation.

that is a great idea.  haven't thought about that.  Thank you

i can’t really help at the moment with your question as we don’t tend to use taxis, but we are on the first Viva Lisbon to Rome trip in a couple of weeks and I may do a live report.

If I do then remind me at the time at relevant ports and I will have a look out for the taxis and report back.

• Like 1

Have you thought about contacting the companies directly and asking if they can arrange transportation or recommend a company?  Getting a taxi at the port for that many people is pretty "iffy".  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

i can’t really help at the moment with your question as we don’t tend to use taxis, but we are on the first Viva Lisbon to Rome trip in a couple of weeks and I may do a live report.

If I do then remind me at the time at relevant ports and I will have a look out for the taxis and report back.

OMG, that would be awesome, besides the taxi-situation, I just want to know how it is generally, how it feels-the vibe on the ship, etc, etc.  I think you and I may have the same itinerary, Lisbon to Rome, stopping everyday including Motril, cadiz, ibiza, Majorca and such....like literally 10 stops.

I have done quite a few cruises in the US, leaving from the east, the west and the south(Galveston), on Celebrity, Carnival, Disney and BUNCH of Royal, but this is my first cruise in Europe and on NCL, so I am very excited/worried/anxious/etc.

You are lucky to do it during the shoulder months... as it will be less crowded both at ports and on the ship, I unfortunately have school age kids so am doing the same itinerary staring 8/2.

Anywayz, I would love to hear from you how everything is generally, that would be AWESOME!

Thank you again and I hope you have an AMAZING cruise! 🙌

A taxi for 5 is an almost non-existent thing in the Mediterranean area. The normal taxi cabs are small. You might have to even argue to get 4 passengers in them. For 5 passengers you definitely need a special car - they do exist but you definitely don’t find one without specifically ordering. Uber might be your friend in this.

• Like 1

I know this would increase the cost, and I know you mentioned having school-aged kids, but *if* there are two adults in the group, what about splitting up and taking two taxis? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I know this would increase the cost, and I know you mentioned having school-aged kids, but *if* there are two adults in the group, what about splitting up and taking two taxis? 

@Turtles06 I was thinking the same thing!  Just split into two groups! 

@European_CruiseGirl Yes, I'll look into Uber as well!

Thank y'all for the info!

• Like 1