ACT Big Bus to Whittier

Experienced travelers, rookie cruisers, sailing out of Whittier Aug 4 after 3 weeks in Alaska. We'll be staying in Anchorage Aug 3, and have booked the ACT Big Bus to the ship. On the one hand, transportation of cruise passengers is the core concept of their business, and reviews are good. On the other hand, I've seen consistent advice to arrive as early as possible, the bus won't be leaving Anchorage until 2PM, and most reviews that specify seem to be from those going to Anchorage after their cruise.

So, I guess I'm just looking for reassuring feedback from anyone that's used this service, or whether it's safer to go with the train or another option. Thanks.

Posted (edited)

@ralfrick  You might do a search everywhere and include the words ACT and bus and cross post this on the Ports of Call board.  This service is not just used by Holland America, so you might expand your results.  You didn't mention the cost and I'm wondering why you are not taking the Holland transfer.  

Edited by AKJonesy

Posted (edited)

We used the ACT Big Bus last July for our Whittier departure. We chose their option that had some photo stops, as well as a visit to the Wildlife Conservation Center. The bus picked us up at our hotel at 11:15 a.m. It was immaculate, with large (clean) windows for optimal viewing. The driver and the tour guide (who happened to be brothers) were friendly, courteous and a pleasure to travel with. Photo stops were made at Beluga Point and Portage Glacier. We had an hour and 45 minutes at the wildlife conservation center, which gave us time for lunch as well as getting some great photos. We were brought directly to the embarkation dock, and the luggage was removed from the bus for us, so all we had to do was walk through the boarding area and on to the ship. We were on board at 4 p.m. For our family group of 12, this was a great way to travel from Anchorage to Whittier. 

Editing to add: the cost of the Big Bus, with wildlife conservation center visit, was $67 per person; without the wildlife stop it was $45. The HAL bus was $69 per person. The train would have been $98 per person. For the HAL bus, and for the train, we would have had the additional cost/time factor of getting our party from the hotel to the appropriate departure points. ACT picked us up right at our hotel, so no extra cost. 

Edited by flagmom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hadn't been able to find transportation info anywhere on the HAL site/app, although I have since. Looks like we'd have to go from our B&B to the airport to catch it, instead of a nearby hotel for ACT.

We are just booked for the straight drive, not the narrated tour. Train would likely be a waste, because at that part of the trip, good chance I'd fall asleep quickly. This bus on Sunday is specifically for HAL, and there's some cushion time wise in case of traffic delay. It should be fine, but hearing from someone that's used then would be welcome.

We had great service and enjoyed the ACT Bug Bus Anchorage to the ship.  They picked dup at the Captain Cook Hotel and dropped us off at the ship.  Easy!

i took it from the airport and it was a very good professional service with a really funny "guide" on board...stopped at wildlife place but lot or rain that day so not ideal....