Catalan Bay - How to get there and back

We have been to Gibraltar more than once and exhausted all the standard tourist attractions, but thinking we may just have a stroll and drink or two in Catalan Bay.  Just wondering what is the best way to get there?  Are there regular buses from Casements Square, or would we be better getting a taxi?  Also wondering how difficult it would be to get transport back or if it may be walkable, not sure if it would be walkable along that road.  Our ship leaves at 2pm, so an early dart as is often the case with Gibraltar.

On 4/14/2024 at 11:15 AM, tring said:

Just wondering what is the best way to get there?  Are there regular buses from Casements Square, or would we be better getting a taxi? 

tring, as nobody has replied and you yourself give so much info to others,  I googled  "Casements Square to Catalan Bay" and many results appeared.  I didn't look into any of them, but noted from the titles that the distance is short and that there should be buses and taxis, but I would check that the bus route numbers are still current, and you would need an idea of the timetables depending on which day of the week you will be there, so the Gibraltar Bus company website would be the one for you. If the buses are still current, you would have the option of buses both ways or taxi one way and bus the other.

We have only visited Gibraltar twice, but might struggle with options were we to visit a third time.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

tring, as nobody has replied and you yourself give so much info to others,  I googled  "Casements Square to Catalan Bay" and many results appeared.  I didn't look into any of them, but noted from the titles that the distance is short and that there should be buses and taxis, but I would check that the bus route numbers are still current, and you would need an idea of the timetables depending on which day of the week you will be there, so the Gibraltar Bus company website would be the one for you. If the buses are still current, you would have the option of buses both ways or taxi one way and bus the other.

We have only visited Gibraltar twice, but might struggle with options were we to visit a third time.

Thank you, that is very kind.  We have had a lot on our plate recently, so I was taking the easy way by asking, but with no reply, DH had been able to look up the buses.  We even took to Google Earth, so we could see the route, once we discovered how near it was and I meant to answer my own question here for future reference of others. 

You are right getting there looks easy enough and could even be walkable back to Casements Square if any problems arose, though not an attractive walk and pavements are narrow, so not a preference of ours.  DH has managed to find up to date bus timetables, though as we are there on a Sunday, buses would only be about every half hour or so for us.  We have previously used the buses and been able to get a day ticket very cheaply to cover most routes, but a taxi may be best in this instance.  We have also looked into museums, but they are closed on a Sunday, as is the Moorish Castle, which is the only attraction up the Rock which we have not visited.

You are right about subsequent visits belong a bit of a struggle to find something to do, but we will leave the ship for a stroll to somewhere.  The beach area and marinas may well be our go to area this time, though we are also toying with doing a dolphin watching boat trip as a ship's trip.  We looked into the dolphin boat trips and none are offering that Sunday morning to book direct and our ship leaves mid afternoon.  If I remember on return, I will give feedback here.

We will be going soon, so need to start packing 🙂

Edited by tring

20 hours ago, tring said:

You are right getting there looks easy enough and could even be walkable back to Casements Square if any problems arose, though not an attractive walk and pavements are narrow, so not a preference of ours.  DH has managed to find up to date bus timetables, though as we are there on a Sunday, buses would only be about every half hour or so for us. 

Good that you looked into it more and found that it was relatively eassy to do with buses or taxis, or evn walking should you have to.

I know that dolphin watching is big off Gib but there are in a different direction from where ships arrive and depart, which we discovered too late, but it did explain why we saw none on our sails in and out when we were on deck hoping to spot some.

I hope your visit goes well however you decide to spend it.😀

• Like 1