Yet another passport question

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 2:28 PM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

FWIW, DD mailed her passport and was received 4/10.  Still "In Process".  NOT expedited. 

Without a starting point for reference, not sure if that's a good thing? If she mailed it in February, not great turn around. If she mailed it 4/1, I'd be super impressed. 😬

Since I'm sure your point is that the Dept of State isn't good at finalizing the status, I agree, but at least my daughters shows "Approved".

Edited by Candleonwater
clarifying sarcasm

8 hours ago, Candleonwater said:

Without a starting point for reference, not sure if that's a good thing? If she mailed it in February, not great turn around. If she mailed it 4/1, I'd be super impressed. 😬

Since I'm sure your point is that the Dept of State isn't good at finalizing the status, I agree, but at least my daughters shows "Approved".

Sorry, didn't explain myself well.  The government logged it as "received" on 4/10.  She mailed it 4/6.  This was a renewal/name change (due to marriage), and no expedite.

8 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Sorry, didn't explain myself well.  The government logged it as "received" on 4/10.  She mailed it 4/6.  This was a renewal/name change (due to marriage), and no expedite.

Gotcha. So, not expedited it's taken a month so far. Hope she wasn't in a hurry!

Is not "closed loop" leaving and returning from U.S. Port? No one in my family has ever gotten a passport and we have done 5 cruises to Eastern and Western Caribbean ports. Birth Certificate should be all you need.

2 hours ago, Candleonwater said:

Gotcha. So, not expedited it's taken a month so far. Hope she wasn't in a hurry!

Trip in July, so no need to panic yet.  Her husband applied for his first passport two weeks after she sent hers in.

1 hour ago, KarlK said:

Is not "closed loop" leaving and returning from U.S. Port? No one in my family has ever gotten a passport and we have done 5 cruises to Eastern and Western Caribbean ports. Birth Certificate should be all you need.

They could have used their valid passport because it had not expired or a Birth Certificate but many people get panicked  by the cruise lines unhelpful wording. The only problem with using a birth certificate like your family is if there is an emergency and someone in your family has to fly back. Can’t fly back with a birth certificate. If you have done 5 cruises and plan more it really is time for family to get a passport. There is a whole world of cruising beyond closed loop cruises. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KarlK said:

This has been addressed already although not completely answered so we don’t know if the birth certificate would have been sufficient.

Edited by c-leg5

11 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

This has been addressed already although not completely answered so we don’t know if the birth certificate would have been sufficient.

We do know it would have been sufficient. The cruise is a closed loop cruise to Bermuda. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

We do know it would have been sufficient. The cruise is a closed loop cruise to Bermuda. 

This thread, like many, keeps going round in circles due to lack of clarity and confusion. Without further details it is impossible to say one way or the other. 

Edited by c-leg5

52 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

This thread, like many, keeps going round in circles due to lack of clarity and confusion. Without further details it is impossible to say one way or the other. 

In post #9 OP says that it is a closed loop cruise to Bermuda. What more details would be needed. Seems pretty clear. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 11:00 AM, Charles4515 said:

They could have used their valid passport because it had not expired or a Birth Certificate but many people get panicked  by the cruise lines unhelpful wording. The only problem with using a birth certificate like your family is if there is an emergency and someone in your family has to fly back. Can’t fly back with a birth certificate. If you have done 5 cruises and plan more it really is time for family to get a passport. There is a whole world of cruising beyond closed loop cruises. 

Exactly. DD could have traveled on her BC/ID and used her soon to expire (but not expired yet) passport if she had an emergency. Or she could have even attempted to board if the passport and used BC as backup.  Either way, she needed to renew her passport because we travel internationally often enough. Renewing at this point made the most sense. Now she has the peace of mind of having a new passport AND a new certified BC.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Candleonwater said:

Exactly. DD could have traveled on her BC/ID and used her soon to expire (but not expired yet) passport if she had an emergency. Or she could have even attempted to board if the passport and used BC as backup.  Either way, she needed to renew her passport because we travel internationally often enough. Renewing at this point made the most sense. Now she has the peace of mind of having a new passport AND a new certified BC.

So it is a US birth certificate then? I don’t believe that was ever confirmed earlier. 

Edited by c-leg5

18 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

So it is a US birth certificate then? I don’t believe that was ever confirmed earlier. 

Sorry, yes, it's a US BC. She was born here, but has US/Canada citizenship.

11 minutes ago, Candleonwater said:

Sorry, yes, it's a US BC. She was born here, but has US/Canada citizenship.

Thanks that makes a big difference.