MSC Virtuosa 22nd-29th June 2024

Eddy2007

Hi, wife and I are sailing on Virtuosa 22nd-29th June from Southampton (our first MSC cruise). After reading reviews and watching YouTube videos, I can see some people complain that the ship is too busy, full with children and more of a ‘booze cruise’. I assume this is mostly during school holidays when most cruises and holidays are at full capacity, but has anyone been at the end of June? Is it likely to be extremely busy?

I’m mostly concerned about long queues and space in the pools, but trying to keep an open mind. Have only been on a (much smaller) Thomson cruise previously.

Many thanks.

Hiya 

I think most cruises bow are full or very busy tbh. Its become very popular. 

Your dates should be ok in regard to kids on board. There will be a few but not that many as its not school holiday dates. 

Again as with any cruise, people will drink excessively and we all have no idea when and where that will be.

We went on Virtuosa end of March last year. Was too cold to be outside in the pools but the pool deck are is massive and lots of sunbed space. In fact the pools on MSC are the best at sea IMO, we have just sailed on world europa and the pools on her were massive and deep.  The high ropes was fun as well. 

The only time the ship felt busy was in the buffet, just felt squished and packed most of the time TBH. 

I can't speak for Virtuosa, but we spent two weeks on Seascape in Feb, the ship was full both weeks but apart from peak times in the buffet and the pool deck on sea days it never felt crazy busy.

You can easily avoid the crowds if you play it smart.

Coincidently we are getting on Virtuosa the day you get off. 

No mistaking, she's a big ship with a lot of people.   The first evening is always a bit crazy, mainly because people are trying to orientate themselves, but can't help "misplacing" their cabin, restaurant, theatre etc.    But it settles, when they find their favourite bar, etc.   

There will always be quite a lot of children.   She's marketed as a family ship.   However, on these dates, English schools won't have broken up yet, and Scottish schools will only just be about to.   I would predict the cruise will be around 90-95% full, given some upper berths (bunks, fold out sofas etc) won't be occupied.   

Her size takes most aback to begin with, no matter how much they've cruised before.   But she's a beautiful ship.   Enjoy!

Virtuosa has several pools so people should be spread out between those - better than most other ships. The buffet is likely to be where you encounter most crowding. I've done a June cruise on her and it felt very spacious, but ships generally are much busier now so not a great comparison, I think.