Skagway - Renting Car

fitters

Hello fellow cruisers!  We will be renting a car to do our own sightseeing in Skagway.  We will drive up to Emerald Lake, possibly Robinson's Roadhouse.  For those of you that have done this, how long did it take you to get to Emerald Lake?  Did you drive straight there and then do the sightseeing/stops on the way back down?  We want to hit the suspension bridge as well.  We are in port from 7am - 5pm.  Car rental for the full day.

Thank you in advance for your input/suggestions.  Have a great day.

1 hour ago, fitters said:

Hello fellow cruisers!  We will be renting a car to do our own sightseeing in Skagway.  We will drive up to Emerald Lake, possibly Robinson's Roadhouse.  For those of you that have done this, how long did it take you to get to Emerald Lake?  Did you drive straight there and then do the sightseeing/stops on the way back down?  We want to hit the suspension bridge as well.  We are in port from 7am - 5pm.  Car rental for the full day.

Thank you in advance for your input/suggestions.  Have a great day.

I can't remember how long it took because we took it slow and made a lot of stops.  We actually made it all the way to Whitehorse (which I don't recommend).  What I can do, is assure you that you have plenty of time.  Robinson Roadhouse is a great turnaround point.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We picked up our car as soon as they opened,8am. We made several sight seeing stops along the way including a half hour at carcross and an hour at Caribou Crossing. We spent some time at Robinson Road house and drove back, briefly stopping at the Dyea cemetery. We were back just in time to get the car back for 6 pm. All that said, it is a easy trip to Robinson Road house, and plenty of time for pictures and stops. Enjoy

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We have done this as well...I dont remember how long it took but we did it at a relatively leisurely pace, and had plenty of time/were not rushed.  We drove to Emerald Lake first, and then made stops on the way back.  Its a great drive - we saw so many bears on our trip!

Edited by CutieKakes
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, fitters said:

Thank you all for your comments!  Appreciate it!  We will drive up first and work our way back down.  Have a great rest of your day!

I wouldn't say this if I hadn't heard of it happening. 😉  Don't forget to take your passports.  

Otherwise, enjoy!  IMO, this is the absolute best thing to do in Skagway.  

• Like 1

We did this in Skagway, but rented a car through Turo. It was far less expensive than going through either of the rental companies there. We were probably out from about 8:30-5:00 with multiple stops along the way (Yukon Suspension Bridge, Tutshi Dog Sled Tour). This was definitely our best excursion. The scenery in Yukon is breathtakingly spectacular.

• Like 1

I’ve done the rental car Skagway to the Yukon 3 times and agree with the consensus here. It’s a great, leisurely day of beautiful scenery. 👍

• Like 1