Relief Band, ErmTerm: Effective? Which one?

My wife has motion sickness. This means that when the sea is a bit rough she spends time in bed and often misses dinner.

Dramamine - the type that causes drowsiness, rather than the non-drowsy kind - works for her; thus the time out of action.

On another thread about a year ago some people recommended the Relief Band, and others recommended the ErmTerm.

The less expensive Sea-Bands were not very effective, but we'd like to try either the Relief Band or ErmTerm.

I keep ginger tablets with me and anytime I feel anything I've found them to be very successful, but that's not enough for her.

Any suggestions, especially from those that have similar issues and found these remedies effective, will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to all for reading this (and other) thread(s).

Bill

• Like 1

I tried the sea bands but they really bothered my wrists. Dramamine makes me sleepy, but meclizine (Bonine is brand name) works great. Little chewable tablets that taste like baby aspirin, and you can buy them cheap on Amazon. I used meclizine on Navy ships in rough seas and was just fine. I can’t stand the taste of ginger candy so haven’t tried that, nor have I tried the other methods. I get severe motion sickness and meclizine has been wonderful in allowing me to enjoy my cruises without turning green around the gills. 🤢

• Like 5

As the active ingredient in non-drowsy Dramamine is meclizine, I assume that it didn't work well so Bonine is out.  Meclizine works really well for me.  Prior to this though I used the Scopolamine Patch.  That also worked well for me.  It has been discontinued in Canada and I believe you need a prescription for it in the US.  After a few days though I did encounter side effects with my vision being a little blurry.  Nothing that would cause me to pause just feeling like my vision was a little off.  I would still be using them but it is no longer available in Canada and I switched to meclizine.  

• Like 1

Thanks @Navybikermomand @cbr663for your comments.

She used the Scopolamine for a couple of cruises, but on the last one she had such an extremely dry mouth (one of the side effects) that she said was worse than the benefit.

We might try non-drowsy Dramamine or Bonine again, but in the meantime I hope to hear from someone who's used the Relief Band or ErmTerm!

• Like 2

Relief Bands did not work for me.   The Meclizine did the trick!  On my most recent cruise, the ship was really rocking.  My party and I all took 1/2 half of the chewable Meclizine every morning.  Had to take a 2nd half one evening when the seas were particularly rough.   If I take a whole pill, at once, I get sleepy by the early evening.  Good luck to your wife!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

My wife has motion sickness. This means that when the sea is a bit rough she spends time in bed and often misses dinner.

Dramamine - the type that causes drowsiness, rather than the non-drowsy kind - works for her; thus the time out of action.

On another thread about a year ago some people recommended the Relief Band, and others recommended the ErmTerm.

The less expensive Sea-Bands were not very effective, but we'd like to try either the Relief Band or ErmTerm.

I keep ginger tablets with me and anytime I feel anything I've found them to be very successful, but that's not enough for her.

Any suggestions, especially from those that have similar issues and found these remedies effective, will be greatly appreciated!

Bill

I take bonine starting one to two days prior to getting on the ship. Even though it’s non-drowsy, I take it at night just before going to bed, just in case! Has worked well for me.

• Like 2

20% 1 star reviews for ReliefBand on Amazon is not impressive. The bands sound like quackery to me, but then I don't go for acupuncture, cupping therapy, aroma therapy, crystal healing, therapeutic touch, detoxification schemes, ear candling, phrenology, magnet therapy, Reiki, or coffee enemas.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

I do not get motion sickness, but used to suffer from chronic nausea and found the Relief Band helped to a degree. It would not eliminate the problem, but it would provide enough relief I could fall asleep. It did not help enough I'd have been able to enjoy a cruise, but different ailments respond differently to various interventions so your wife's experience may be very different from my own.

One thing I will mention is that positioning matters. If it's in the right spot, it almost feels like your whole hand is vibrating, which may be bothersome long term. If your wife chooses to try it, I'd give it a go before going on the cruise to make sure that won't bother her. If it does, she'll have time to change plans.

Also, FWIW, it was recommended to me by my gastroenterologist who was a researcher at teaching hospital in Kansas City so I presume there is some scientific merit to the gadget. He said Sea Bands didn't work because they only provided pressure on the relevant nerve and that the electrical stimulation provided by the Relief Band was different. I'm far from qualified to debate that, but it worked well enough for me that I feel comfortable saying it's worth a try.

• Like 1

My DW has this issue, so I've researched it a lot online.  Studies of these bands (called portable acustimulation devices in the medical literature) have not shown any benefit.  (for reference, see https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15018290/)  The medical literature shows mixed results with the use of ginger.  Current recommended treatment is still scopolamine, a first generation antihistamine (eg dramamine), or habituation.

Disclaimer, I am not a physician and am not offering medical advice.  I am summarizing what I found in the medical literature.  I hope your wife finds an effective treatment and you can both enjoy cruising.

• Like 2

I get motion sickness when the sea is rough. A storm in the North Sea and crossing the Drake to Antarctica. I usually take one Bonine daily unless it’s very flat. The Drake was double and as long as I lay flat I was ok. Got a script for Zofran and added that in when needed. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the helpful comments; this gives me a good idea of how to handle this.

@bundtkate, nice to hear that a doctor recommended the Relief Band. We also wonder about  the many types and prices. 

@sciencewonk, I had heard similar results, except that I heard somewhere that ginger was more effective, but that might have been third hand. I trust that what you said is more accurate, as you've obviously studied this more than I have. We'll stick with Dramamine or Bonine, although I'm tempted to try the relief bands anyway. I've seen over the years that some alternative meds like that might work for some but not be consistent, and therefore difficult to verify using experimental studies.

We like your methods, @Iamthesea and @KruisinKath!

@Judy795What I've heard about the Drake Passage is consistently... not calm! I wonder if we'll ever make it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Bill

So the most typical drugs to treat motion sickness are meclizine, dimenhydrinate, and trans-dermal scopolamine.  

Original Dramimine is dimenhydrinate.  "Less-drowsy" Dramimine and Bonine is meclizine.  So if the dimenhydrinate is working but causes too much drowsiness you can do a couple of things.  Try taking the full dose at bedtime and see if that last through the next day.  Can also supplement that bedtime dose with 1/2 tablet during the day if needed.

Trans-dermal scopolamine- Sometimes wearing the patch just at night will work and pull off patch in the AM place back on the original patch backing. Place back behind ear the next night.

Various bands- I mean you have nothing to loose with trying them.  I'm sure they are safe it's just the effective part that bothers me. 

Ginger supplements- they HAVE shown to be somewhat effective.  Nothing to loose here either.

Good luck!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, chill6x6 said:

So the most typical drugs to treat motion sickness are meclizine, dimenhydrinate, and trans-dermal scopolamine.  

Original Dramimine is dimenhydrinate.  "Less-drowsy" Dramimine and Bonine is meclizine.  So if the dimenhydrinate is working but causes too much drowsiness you can do a couple of things.  Try taking the full dose at bedtime and see if that last through the next day.  Can also supplement that bedtime dose with 1/2 tablet during the day if needed.

Trans-dermal scopolamine- Sometimes wearing the patch just at night will work and pull off patch in the AM place back on the original patch backing. Place back behind ear the next night.

Various bands- I mean you have nothing to loose with trying them.  I'm sure they are safe it's just the effective part that bothers me. 

Ginger supplements- they HAVE shown to be somewhat effective.  Nothing to loose here either.

Good luck!

Thanks for the details. As I said, I've found ginger to work pretty well. We're going to try meclizine, and I will eventually decide whether to fork over the $ for the relief band. Even if it's somatic (psychological), if that helps... 

• Like 2

I got very seasick on my first cruise on the 4th day when we hit bad weather. I had taken Bonine the first day and then stopped and was fine until the storm on day 4. What I've found works perfectly for me is to take one 25mg Bonine an hour before I board the ship. After that, one every 12 hours for the entire cruise.

• Like 1

Personally, I wouldn’t recommend a Relief Band.  I debated for a long time because of the cost, and finally decided to buy one for our last cruise. Yes, I could feel it tingling on my wrist which means it’s “working”, but it did absolutely nothing for my motion sickness. I gave it a good, honest try, and then went back to meclizine.  It works for me 99% of the time, but still is not ideal. I take 25mg before bed each night, and could still sleep the whole next day, which is why I hoped that the Relief Band would work. Apparently it does work for some people though. Just not me.  

• Like 1

I have used the Relief band for years.  In fact I bought a 2nd one when the first broke after many years.  To be effective it should be used before rough water begins altho I have used it as seas were building.  You have to be careful that you are placing it on the correct spot to feel a tingle in your wrist.  You can set it between 1-5 to get the tingle.  Very rough seas, I use 4 or 5.  Also the band should be very secure on the wrist.  I have also used it when nauseated from other reasons.  It’s expensive but works & no drug effects.

• Like 2

On 4/18/2024 at 3:59 PM, KruisinKath said:

I take bonine starting one to two days prior to getting on the ship. Even though it’s non-drowsy, I take it at night just before going to bed, just in case! Has worked well for me.

This is what I do also. You need to take them before feeling ill, so I start a day or two before the cruise and continue until the last night. If she tries again, make sure she starts them before the cruise. Also taking them at bedtime means if it does make me sleepy it doesn't matter because I'm going to bed anyway.

• Like 1

I used to get very sea sick I use sea bands, have always worked for me  I put them on before I get on the ship Then I drink only ginger ale with bitters the first day and eat green apples  Works like a charm.. The ginger and bitters  was told to me years ago by a crew bartender. After meno pause I no longer get it though unless very rocky but I come prepared.  I dont take the meds they all made me sick or dizzy worse than the sea sickness and the patches made me hallucinate.  Once got land sick after many sea days now that was fun lol

• Like 1

I have used both relief band and EmeTerm on cruises, flights and for work when i need to ride in back of an ambulance, I vastly prefer the Eme Term to the relief band, the battery life is longer, is more comfortable and easier for good contact, although both  do work for me for nausea related to motion.  On a cruise you have to either have 2 to charge alternately and rotate wearing one during the day the other at night or not wear one at night and take meclazine before bedtime, at least 2 hours before removing the ere term.    If you have any further questions about the models and options they offer feel free to ask, I have basically used all of them.   I prefer the explore for the EmeTerm models but also have the mini as a back up and to use if go snorkeling since it is water proof.     Out of the Relief band models, prefer the sport over premier, the shape of the band on the premiere makes it loose contact all the time.    

4 hours ago, leennp said:

I have used both relief band and EmeTerm on cruises, flights and for work when i need to ride in back of an ambulance, I vastly prefer the Eme Term to the relief band, the battery life is longer, is more comfortable and easier for good contact, although both  do work for me for nausea related to motion.  On a cruise you have to either have 2 to charge alternately and rotate wearing one during the day the other at night or not wear one at night and take meclazine before bedtime, at least 2 hours before removing the ere term.    If you have any further questions about the models and options they offer feel free to ask, I have basically used all of them.   I prefer the explore for the EmeTerm models but also have the mini as a back up and to use if go snorkeling since it is water proof.     Out of the Relief band models, prefer the sport over premier, the shape of the band on the premiere makes it loose contact all the time.    

Thanks, we appreciate it. We'll probably try the EmeTerm and go with Bonine instead of the drowsy kind.

I am usually ok on a cruise just using Ginger Chews and drinking one ginger ale a day, but I go prepared with relief band (worked on my 9 year old grandson), and sea bands. The first time I used Bonine I was sick in the hotel room before even leaving. I used trans derm scopolamine a few times until I figured out why I was extremely sick after taking it off (severe withdrawal, icky!)  I recommend trying any drug before you leave. Also, go to a low deck midship if it is really rocky.  

20 hours ago, leennp said:

Thanks for the very helpful detail. Since the Explore has a longer battery life, that seems to make the most sense. And because we don't know how she will respond to it, we'll buy one and see how it goes, and use meclizine at night. Good advice to take it a couple of hours before removing the band when at sea.

Since most days we will be in port early morning, she probably won't wear it those days during the day until before disembarkation. How long before leaving port would you suggest? A couple of hours?

Just a thought for those that use the ginger. It has to have "real" ginger in it. I recently read an article regarding the sodas. If you're having Schweppes or Canada Dry, they aren't made with real ginger, just flavorings, so they will not be as effective for nausea. I'm assuming this would also be the case with candies, so be sure to get something that has real ginger in it, not just flavorings.

1 hour ago, HermmyGranger said:

Just a thought for those that use the ginger. It has to have "real" ginger in it. I recently read an article regarding the sodas. If you're having Schweppes or Canada Dry, they aren't made with real ginger, just flavorings, so they will not be as effective for nausea. I'm assuming this would also be the case with candies, so be sure to get something that has real ginger in it, not just flavorings.

Good point. I use ginger tablets that are real ginger and pretty effective.