newbie questions

cjft

On 4/19/2024 at 9:09 AM, Menocchio said:

Do I need the actual card, or can I use the Starbucks app? I ask because I can get e-gift cards through a perk at my job, but I'd actually need to go out and buy a card. 

Whether or not you can use the card and/or app depend on the ship.

Not all NCL ships have a 'full-service' Starbucks.  The ones that don't, you can't use the card -- and I'm not positive, but I don't believe you can use the app, either.

• Like 1

Also keep in mind, with the free drinks, BOTH persons in the room get it and pay the tips on it. So if only one person actually drinks, that's four a day....

Only reason I say that is that my wife rarely drinks so my breakeven is always a little higher in drink count...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/22/2024 at 11:56 AM, N-8 said:

Also keep in mind, with the free drinks, BOTH persons in the room get it and pay the tips on it. So if only one person actually drinks, that's four a day....

Only reason I say that is that my wife rarely drinks so my breakeven is always a little higher in drink count...

If it makes you feel better, you can ask for a double shot of whatever spirit is going into your drinks. That way they're just stronger (NCL cocktails tend to be very weak to me) and you're not having to consume 4+ dinks at a time, just 2 strong ones. Saves on belly & bladder space for other stuff.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

If it makes you feel better, you can ask for a double shot of whatever spirit is going into your drinks. That way they're just stronger (NCL cocktails tend to be very weak to me) and you're not having to consume 4+ dinks at a time, just 2 strong ones. Saves on belly & bladder space for other stuff.

Good advice, didn't know that but I usually stick to beer so my bladder usually isn't happy. 🙂 Have to say, on port intensive cruises, I may stop getting the drink package. Trust me, I can easily put down much more than 4 drinks in a day. But EVERY day of a cruise gets old quick. 

9 hours ago, N-8 said:

Good advice, didn't know that but I usually stick to beer so my bladder usually isn't happy. 🙂 Have to say, on port intensive cruises, I may stop getting the drink package. Trust me, I can easily put down much more than 4 drinks in a day. But EVERY day of a cruise gets old quick. 

Nah, you just need to broaden your horizons. If you're a beer person - instead of a mimosa for breakfast, do a shandy. Get a pale ale and a lemonade and mix em together. Poolside get your normal beer or keep it light with another shandy. Dinner can be the normal beer. And after dinner find a liqueur you enjoy and sip it over some cubes during the entertainment. Easy peasy.

• Like 2

Is there any chance you are travel in one of the "solo" cabins? If so, you have access to the Studio Lounge which has an espresso machine and makes things like cappuccinos. (No idea of quality.) All included with solo rooms. 

That's what I'm doing because I can't drink $13 worth of coffee per day, and I'm pretty much a non-drinker at this point. If I decide I need Starbucks or a Mudslide or a soda, I'll just buy them, but most of my coffee needs, and thus most of my needs, are met. (Another benefit to being single and not willing to share with others. :D)

Have a blast!

On 4/21/2024 at 4:23 AM, ChrysFox said:

Not all NCL ships have a 'full-service' Starbucks.

Do you know if the Escape does?

By full-service do you mean a wide range of options that go beyond the traditional menu, such as all these trendy ice matcha drinks for instance?

Our teenage daughters will be cruising with us and they're eager to find out what the drinks selection is like. They're at the age where the mojito bar is still (luckily) out of reach so they have to settle for some weird concoction from Starbucks... 

I think so, but I've never been on that ship.I'm sure somebody can chime in with the correct info.
By 'full-service' I mean an actual Starbucks, rather than just the cafe where there's a menu, and a sign "Proudly serving Starbucks"

On 4/18/2024 at 5:24 PM, cjft said:

Great, thank you.  Sounds like call centre is easy to deal with.

That has been my experience - not long waits on hold and U.S. based agents.   

I called regarding a price drop after final payment and was offered a choice between a cabin upgrade or a future cruise credit, not an onboard credit as I was hoping for. Maybe others have gotten an onboard credit as mentioned in another response here, but that was not an option for me.   Also, I was told that adjustments for price drops are not offered at all within 60 days of sailing, and luckily I was about a day or so before that point. That may vary by itinerary, and there may be some flexibility, but that’s what I was told. 

Regarding the Free at Sea for drinks - it’s true the gratuities are equal to about 2 drinks a day.  But do check the actual cruise fare with and without the Free at Sea drinks (and dining).   When I unchecked these two in the booking process, the base cruise fare was less.  My upcoming NCL cruise is a port-heavy northern European itinerary, and I knew I’d be off the ship for long days and going to bed early for morning excursions - not much time to drink.  And I had no interest in specialty dining. So I passed on the drink and dining packages for a lower fare. 

On the other hand, I made good use of the $50 per tour excursion credit.  That was a big savings. I even booked two excursions in some ports.  (It’s $50 for the first person on the reservation, not $50 each for two people.)  

Edited by Joanne G.

56 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

When I unchecked these two in the booking process, the base cruise fare was less

If you pick a Free At Sea fare, the only change when removing the dining and drink packages is the removal of the dining and beverage service charges.  In order for there to be a change in the fare you'd have to go from the FAS fare to a sail-away fare.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2024 at 6:56 AM, Joanne G. said:

That has been my experience - not long waits on hold and U.S. based agents.   

I called regarding a price drop after final payment and was offered a choice between a cabin upgrade or a future cruise credit, not an onboard credit as I was hoping for. Maybe others have gotten an onboard credit as mentioned in another response here, but that was not an option for me.   Also, I was told that adjustments for price drops are not offered at all within 60 days of sailing, and luckily I was about a day or so before that point. That may vary by itinerary, and there may be some flexibility, but that’s what I was told. 

Regarding the Free at Sea for drinks - it’s true the gratuities are equal to about 2 drinks a day.  But do check the actual cruise fare with and without the Free at Sea drinks (and dining).   When I unchecked these two in the booking process, the base cruise fare was less.  My upcoming NCL cruise is a port-heavy northern European itinerary, and I knew I’d be off the ship for long days and going to bed early for morning excursions - not much time to drink.  And I had no interest in specialty dining. So I passed on the drink and dining packages for a lower fare. 

On the other hand, I made good use of the $50 per tour excursion credit.  That was a big savings. I even booked two excursions in some ports.  (It’s $50 for the first person on the reservation, not $50 each for two people.)  

What about rate adjustments before final payment ? 

9 minutes ago, camper49 said:

What about rate adjustments before final payment ? 

If you see a price drop prior to final payment you can absolutely call in and get the adjustment.  Two caveats -

• you can't base the fare reduction on other categories, there MUST be a cabin available in your category to make the comparison to.  You can even ask to upgrade to a higher category cabin.
  • you have to accept the promotions at the time of re-pricing so if the number of specialty dinners or the number of internet minutes has been reduced you accept that you get fewer specialty dinners or less time on the internet.
  • Like 1

Yeah, just make sure to clarify what perks you will get with the new booking before accepting it. For our Panama Canal trip the price dropped significantly (more than 2K on a Haven room), but with the new pricing we would lose some specialty dining meals (original promo was giving us 5 I believe, new promo would only give 3). We didn't care because I can easily buy 2 more meals at a much cheaper rate than the 2K in savings we would get - but just make sure you know how ALL of your perks and such will be affected by the new price.