Return to cabin overnight?

Kronkron

Posted (edited)

Could you please clarify a question for someone who has never been on a cruise? If the ship will be docked overnight for 24 hours at one of the stops, are we required to return to the ship in the evening, or is it feasible to book a room in the city and return the next day before the ship's departure?

Greatly appreciate any advice.

Edited by Kronkron

When we stopped in Bali last year we stayed overnight in the city.  Basically left the ship at 8am and didn't get back until around 4pm the next day.  They don't care as long as you're back before the ship leaves.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jon81uk said:

In Ibiza we returned to the ship at 3-4am, the shuttle bus even ran all night. 

I'm curious what the transportation setup will be like in Lisbon for the cruise my wife and I are on this year.  I don't know that we would want to stay out until 3-4am but still seems like a "late night town".

41 minutes ago, Tralfaz1138 said:

I'm curious what the transportation setup will be like in Lisbon for the cruise my wife and I are on this year.  I don't know that we would want to stay out until 3-4am but still seems like a "late night town".

I expect it depends on the layout of the port and stuff like how walkable it on whether they run a shuttle or not. 

On VV we’ve had shuttles at Mykonos, Ibiza and Funchal (this isn’t an overnight stop).

Posted (edited)

Whether you are able to re-enter the ship all night long depends on the cruise line, but there is no requirement that you enter until the sail away time the next day.  On VV, you are able to come and go as you wish...all night long and all the next day up to "all aboard" time.

On other lines, we've experienced policies like "you will not be able to reboard the ship between 3am and 6am."

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Whether you are able to re-enter the ship all night long depends on the cruise line, but there is no requirement that you enter until the sail away time the next day.  On VV, you are able to come and go as you wish...all night long and all the next day up to "all aboard" time.

On other lines, we've experienced policies like "you will not be able to reboard the ship between 3am and 6am."

Thank you

• Like 1