Using cashless payment for tube/metro with a young teen

I read that London is moving away from the Oyster card, we are 3 adults who can do the credit card scan to pass through the turnstiles, I assume you then use the same card to exit so that it knows how much to charge you. But how do you handle a 14 yr old, we do not have a credit card for him to use, but guessing he cannot tap/scan through using his moms same card at the same time? If your card gets cranky about being used abroad, can you still buy the Oyster card and just load cash on it, I know you don't get your deposit back, but as a backup, visiting in July, super thanks. We'd really hoping not use the phone for apple pay or android.

A related question for me is:

If I use a US credit card in the Tube, do I get charged bank conversion fees each time I use it? That would steer me towards buying a $40 Oyster card instead for our 4 days in London.

1 hour ago, T-2 said:
  1. 1. I assume you then use the same card to exit so that it knows how much to charge you.
  3. 2. But how do you handle a 14 yr old, we do not have a credit card for him to use, but guessing he cannot tap/scan through using his moms same card at the same time?
  5. 3. If your card gets cranky about being used abroad, can you still buy the Oyster card and just load cash on it

1. Yes, exactly right.

2. Correct. Every passenger who needs to pay must use a separate card (or device). If two people each use a separate card, it doesn't matter if the two cards are billed to the same account by the bank.

It doesn't have to be a credit card. A debit card should also work, particularly if it's a Mastercard or Visa. Does the child have one of them?

If not, then one option would be for an adult who has an extra card to let the child use it. If they don't already have one (which your post suggests), then they could get a supplementary card on their own card account issued in another adult's name. I expect that there's still time before July to get one issued, although this is probably not a use case that the credit card company would be happy about.

But if you buy an Oyster, then the child can have the Young Visitor Discount set on it by Tube station staff. See here for further details. This basically gives the child a 50% discount, and if you do enough travel it could offset the cost of buying an Oyster.

3. Yes.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tscoffey said:

If I use a US credit card in the Tube, do I get charged bank conversion fees each time I use it? That would steer me towards buying a $40 Oyster card instead for our 4 days in London.

This depends on your credit card company, not on TfL, which simply charges the sterling price.

Typically, a credit card will charge a foreign exchange conversion fee in the order of 2.5% to 3.0%. But because this is a simple percentage, you end up paying the same whether you spend (say) $100 buying an Oyster or spend $25 on each of 4 days' travel.

If your credit card company charges a per-transaction fee for foreign exchange transactions, then the calculation is different. A single $100 purchase will be only one transaction, but TfL will send a separate charge to your credit card for each day's travel, ie four transactions.

It's not hard to get a credit card that doesn't charge forex fees, though, in which case it shouldn't matter which route you go down so far as fees are concerned. But if you buy an Oyster, you will now of course have to pay the non-refundable price of the card.

4 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

If your credit card company charges a per-transaction fee for foreign exchange transactions, then the calculation is different.

A complete and concise answer, thanks.

I checked, and Chase does not charge foreign transaction fees for the card I use.

So that settles my Oyster/no Oyster decision.

Globaliser- that was astounding, I had no idea there was such a thing as a Young Visitor Discount and for different age groups. Your link even contained a video walkthrough of the process. Since we will be there for 8 days it seems especially worthwhile and solves the problem of a 14 year old junior high boy not having his own credit card. He would always be with the adults but saves having to keep track of yet another credit card. This is perfect, Cannot Thank You Enough!

36 minutes ago, T-2 said:

I had no idea there was such a thing as a Young Visitor Discount and for different age groups. Your link even contained a video walkthrough of the process.

Thank you for the kind words - but I'm posting again just to make sure there's no confusion.

The only video that I could see concerned the 11-15 Zip Oyster photocard. That is not the same as the Young Visitor Discount, which is also for (and only for) this age group. Getting a photocard will probably not be practicable for you.

To set the Young Visitor Discount, you need to get an ordinary Oyster. (A Visitor Oyster will also work, but I personally find it hard to see any real benefit in a Visitor Oyster, for any age.) Then find a member of staff at a Tube station, a London Overground* station, one of the listed Elizabeth Line stations, or a TfL Visitor Centre. Ask to have the Young Visitor Discount set on the Oyster. The child must be present. The staff member will then use one of the ticket machines to set the discount onto that Oyster. The process should take only 2-3 minutes.

If you're here for 8 days, then this will definitely be worth doing.

* NB The London Overground is a set of TfL lines. They are shown in hollow orange on Tube maps. The London Overground is different from National Rail, and National Rail stations will not be able to set the Young Visitor Discount.

• Thanks 1

Thank you beyond words for clarifying that, I thought it was something I needed to purchase before we arrived in England since I got the 2 products mixed as one. I know so many others who read this thread down the road will appreciate immensely your sharing this. I had not stumbled on anything about it, but the tube is such a time saver as you move about London, that I know its going to be well worth its small cost. We're coming in by rail from Southampton post cruise & are staying near the Waterloo station so I'll see where a visitor centre is nearby- thanks so much for heading off my misconception and that the photocard is not the same thing. Thank you again for all your help!

12 hours ago, Globaliser said:

If not, then one option would be for an adult who has an extra card to let the child use it. If they don't already have one (which your post suggests), then they could get a supplementary card on their own card account issued in another adult's name.

Because the TFL contactless system works at physical device/card level, you can load your card into your phone and used Google/Apple Pay whilst a child taps your physical card (or you keep hold of it and just tap it over their shoulder at the gate).

You don't get the child discount, but it's the quickest and easiest way to have a device or card each.  If you've got a smart watch, this can work as another device giving an easy way to extend to another child.

That's also a great idea for anyone who could use google/apply pay. For us the Young Visitor Discount on his Oyster card is perfect, and lets him have his own card since none of us link our phones to banking. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, T-2 said:

We're coming in by rail from Southampton post cruise & are staying near the Waterloo station so I'll see where a visitor centre is nearby ...

16 hours ago, T-2 said:

Piccadilly Circus has a very convenient TfL only a few stops away on the Bakerloo line

You can simply buy the Oyster and set the Young Visitor Discount at the same time at any Tube station. There's no need to take the Tube to Piccadilly Circus before doing it, because by definition you will have passed through a Tube station already. So you may as well just do this when you take your first Tube journey.

I know what you mean about this discount being hard to find. For some reason, TfL does not like to make a big deal out of it, as noted on some local transport blogs.

I must have over read the steps, thanks for clarifying. I thought since they had to confirm his age from either his passport or birth certificate (with the parent being with him), that I had to go to one of their special TfL stations and that after they verified his age, then any staff at the station could take his Oyster card and set it for the Young Visitor Discount. I don't know what we travelers would do without kind people like you and JB! 

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2024 at 10:15 AM, fruitmachine said:

Because the TFL contactless system works at physical device/card level, you can load your card into your phone and used Google/Apple Pay whilst a child taps your physical card (or you keep hold of it and just tap it over their shoulder at the gate).

For anyone using an Apple Pay on an iPhone or Apple Watch on TFL then I suggest they set the card on the phone or watch they are going to use as an 'Express mode for transit' card and then you don't need to unlock your phone or double click the watch in order to tap in/out, you just tap and go through - Use Express Mode with transit cards, passes, and keys in Apple Wallet - Apple Support 

The system only works with approved transit operators such as TFL so there isn't a risk of unauthorised transactions elsewhere.

Sorry, no idea whether Google Pay has a similar feature.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

For anyone using an Apple Pay on an iPhone or Apple Watch on TFL then I suggest they set the card on the phone or watch they are going to use as an 'Express mode for transit' card and then you don't need to unlock your phone or double click the watch in order to tap in/out, you just tap and go through - Use Express Mode with transit cards, passes, and keys in Apple Wallet - Apple Support 

The system only works with approved transit operators such as TFL so there isn't a risk of unauthorised transactions elsewhere.

Sorry, no idea whether Google Pay has a similar feature.

It does:

Wallet / Wallet Settings / Verification S ettings / Public Transport Payments ...

image.thumb.png.f01d1d18069e5810027316318fd62721.png