Car Rental at Ports - IDL needed?

For those who have rented cars in some ports ssuch as Malaga and Palma...have you ever been asked for an International Drivers License? I know that you do not need one in Portugal, but wondering about Spain. It's not about the $20, just the hassle to get pictures done, go to AAA, etc.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, FloridaHockeyGuy said:

For those who have rented cars in some ports ssuch as Malaga and Palma...have you ever been asked for an International Drivers License? I know that you do not need one in Portugal, but wondering about Spain. It's not about the $20, just the hassle to get pictures done, go to AAA, etc.

Thanks.

AAA will take your picture.

It's best to have the IDL. 

7 hours ago, FloridaHockeyGuy said:

Thanks.

AFAIK, IDL is only needed if your driver licence is not written with Latin alphabet.

But the best you can do is sending an email and asking.

What it is sure

eLicences are only valid if issued in Spain

All licences delivered in any EU country will be accepted definitely

Yes, (for Canadians at least) you do need an IDL for Spain if you want to rent a car. It is not "required" in Portugal but is recommended. The CAA is the only legal issuing authority in Canada. My daughter's fiancé had one and was asked to show it when they rented cars in Spain and southern France last spring. You can probably look this up on the official US gov. travel  website.