Tea Kettle Available on Carnival Ships?

I’m on the Legend TA and at every turn I’ve failed to get water hot enough to brew a cup of tea. On some lines I’ve been successful in getting a kettle or little coffee maker in my cabin (basically British passengers require this amenity).

The hot water/coffee makers in the Lido are by WMF. It’s a good brand (and the coffee is hot and good). It seems that it should have a temperature adjustment…on MSC the same units made wonderful tea.

The MDR situation is even worse.  Any experience with this? Any suggestions. 
Thanks tea lovers for your input…

SM

I don't believe kettles or coffee makers are ever available on Carnival.   I had one on a Princess cruise out of Southampton, presumably due to demand from UK passengers, but not on my Carnival cruises out of Dover.   Have you tried asking in the specialty coffee shop if their water is hot enough for tea as you like it? 

I hope you find what you want.   I don't drink tea, but I would be dissatisfied if I couldn't find acceptable coffee onboard.  

I'm fairly certain that a kettle in your stateroom isn't an option.

You could inquire with room service to see if they can bring a carafe of hot water, if not you can obtain hot water from the coffee shop, buffet area or MDR.

• Like 1

Nothing with a heating element is allowed in the cabins, with the exception of curling irons. Etc.   It’s a fire hazard and they will confiscate the item if you bring your own onboard.  It’s a huge complaint of mine against CCL because I love to have a cup of coffee on the balcony each morning.

Carnival does not allow kettles in staterooms. You can request a carafe of hot water from room service. I believe there is a charge for it outside of breakfast hours.

You can also ask the crew or manager if they can check the temperature of the hot water dispensers on Lido - maybe they need adjustment.

• Like 1

The hot water dispensers are hot enough for a nice cuppa .  If you request a carafe from Room Service, it will be lukewarm.  Tea Time pours from carafes so it should be renamed "Brown Water Time".

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Nothing with a heating element is allowed in the cabins, with the exception of curling irons. Etc.   It’s a fire hazard and they will confiscate the item if you bring your own onboard.  It’s a huge complaint of mine against CCL because I love to have a cup of coffee on the balcony each morning.

Not necessarily. I've been on 4 Carnival cruises in the past 12 months (and am currently on one now) and it's never been an issue. And I've never made any attempts to hide it at embarkation or in my stateroom because to be perfectly honest, I didn't even know it was against the rules until I read a similar thread here not too long ago. I bought mine on Amazon a couple of years ago and have taken it on every cruise since (about 8 cruises in all across 3 lines: CCL, RCL, & Celebrity.) Sometimes I have it in my carry-on when I board and sometimes I pack it in my larger luggage. But either way, no one has ever said a word to me about it. (Not that that makes it right; only that they aren't necessarily going to confiscate it if you bring it with you.)

5 hours ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

Not necessarily. I've been on 4 Carnival cruises in the past 12 months (and am currently on one now) and it's never been an issue. And I've never made any attempts to hide it at embarkation or in my stateroom because to be perfectly honest, I didn't even know it was against the rules until I read a similar thread here not too long ago. I bought mine on Amazon a couple of years ago and have taken it on every cruise since (about 8 cruises in all across 3 lines: CCL, RCL, & Celebrity.) Sometimes I have it in my carry-on when I board and sometimes I pack it in my larger luggage. But either way, no one has ever said a word to me about it. (Not that that makes it right; only that they aren't necessarily going to confiscate it if you bring it with you.)

That doesn't prove anything other than they haven't found it in your bags yet. And it makes sense because they're mostly looking for booze, weapons, and drugs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

That doesn't prove anything other than they haven't found it in your bags yet. And it makes sense because they're mostly looking for booze, weapons, and drugs.

What a strange comment.  Where did you get the idea that I was trying to "prove" anything? MagnoliaBlossom made a declarative statement that Carnival would confiscate kettles brought on board and I replied that based on my personal experience over the past year that that wouldn't necessarily happen.  I'm not sure why you have a problem with that. I didn't write that CCL  authorizes kettles to be brought on board, or even that Carnival would never confiscate a kettle if a passenger attempted to bring one on board. All I basically said was that Carnival wouldn't necessarily and 100% automatically confiscate one if you attempted to do so.

1 hour ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

What a strange comment.  Where did you get the idea that I was trying to "prove" anything? MagnoliaBlossom made a declarative statement that Carnival would confiscate kettles brought on board and I replied that based on my personal experience over the past year that that wouldn't necessarily happen.  I'm not sure why you have a problem with that. I didn't write that CCL  authorizes kettles to be brought on board, or even that Carnival would never confiscate a kettle if a passenger attempted to bring one on board. All I basically said was that Carnival wouldn't necessarily and 100% automatically confiscate one if you attempted to do so.

But you are okay with playing with safety onboard?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I wonder what makes Celebrity, NCL, Royal so different (wiring?) such that they offer kettles in some cabins (and coffee makers in many more).

i-FnvbgHr-L.jpg

Heck, on NCL I was able to request a full size iron for use in our room.

20130916_134723-L.jpg

Tom

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I wonder what makes Celebrity, NCL, Royal so different (wiring?) such that they offer kettles in some cabins (and coffee makers in many more).

i-FnvbgHr-L.jpg

20130916_134723-L.jpg

Tom

I don't know.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elaine5715 said:

I don't know.  

I've scratched my head regarding this for years. It's like the owl and the Tootsie Roll lollipop... The world may never know!

To.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

First of all, as I mentioned earlier, I wasn't even aware it was against the rules until I recently read about it here on CC. And consequently, I never even tried to conceal the fact that I was bringing a kettle on board. Secondly, and as others have pointed out, other cruise lines with the same wiring on their ships allow kettles.

And finally, passengers are allowed to bring curling irons on board. Perhaps you can explain how bringing a kettle on board is "playing with safety", yet a curling iron with a much higher wattage heating element is not. And if you can't, you probably shouldn't lecture others on safety.

Posted (edited)

I was raised under the ethos of once you know better, you should do better. Sad to see that is not universal. I think that if it was, the world would be a much better place.

Edited by mz-s
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

And finally, passengers are allowed to bring curling irons on board. Perhaps you can explain how bringing a kettle on board is "playing with safety", yet a curling iron with a much higher wattage heating element is not. And if you can't, you probably shouldn't lecture others on safety.

We've made a few trips to the Naughty Room. Once was when they spied a flat iron (hair) and said they would not allow it onboard. Let's just say, don't tell Cheryl she can't take her personal items (could have been the last time we sailed Carnival, but they came around). Another trip down there they thought they spied a knife in our suitcase... turned out to be a metal shoehorn. Actually, almost every trip down there (there have been several) were cases of overzealous screeners or misinterpretation of their own guidelines.

I honestly can't recall ever being subjected to the same scrutiny on other lines. Some will hear that and cheer on Carnival, others will see it differently.  😉

Tom

• Like 2

On 4/21/2024 at 1:03 PM, Joanne G. said:

I don't believe kettles or coffee makers are ever available on Carnival.   I had one on a Princess cruise out of Southampton, presumably due to demand from UK passengers, but not on my Carnival cruises out of Dover.   Have you tried asking in the specialty coffee shop if their water is hot enough for tea as you like it? 

I hope you find what you want.   I don't drink tea, but I would be dissatisfied if I couldn't find acceptable coffee onboard.  

As a UK resident, I can confirm this is quite likely! We've cruised with several cruise lines and it's only Carnival who don't provide a kettle. Safety could be their reasoning but I suspect not...

34 minutes ago, vwgolf2 said:

As a UK resident, I can confirm this is quite likely! We've cruised with several cruise lines and it's only Carnival who don't provide a kettle. Safety could be their reasoning but I suspect not...

Carnival almost (ALMOST) "gave in" to popular demand. We had a presidential suite booked for the second sailing of the Mardi Gras - 8/7/21. I'd been keeping a close watch on various sites/pages trying to gather all the info I could. I was very pleased to see that, in that category at least, they were now listing a Coffee Maker as one of the features (that page was "current" as recently as 6/29/21). 

i-hgP2Sjs-XL.jpg

Wouldn't you know it... the one thing (I noticed) that they ended up pulling from the feature list - after appearing there for 2-1/2 years - with under a month before she set sail (updated page 7/13/21)? You guessed it !

i-ZpMbvgC-XL.jpg

I'm sure it was so that someone didn't accidently start a fire right above the bridge with the  Ronco 😉 coffee pot they provided... right... 

Tom

• Haha 1

I guess the fact that Suites are provided with a unit proves the point that electrical fires aren’t the issue. Housekeeping probably wants to avoid the added time the attendant spends readying the cabin on a daily basis.

Did I mention that the Queen Mary, Brittania class cabins have the full Monty: kettle, sugar, sweetener, tea bags, coffee and milk capsules AND a real China tea set?

This explains why there are no Brits on this crossing. (Why would they sail to Barcelona anyway?)

On my MSC SEAVIEW TA the Lido had WMF hot water/coffee units that had a temperature gage reading 205F, which was perfect.

I’ve basically given up at this point. The possibility of very hot water in the boutique cafes wouldn’t help: they use paper cups

I am enjoying everyone’s comments: Thank You.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I wonder if these really work, and if Carnival would allow them onboard. 

Of course, there's that whole "is there bright sun on my balcony?" issue...

LINK

Tom

Concentrated sunlight is powerful enough to melt rock.

20 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

i-FnvbgHr-L.jpg

20130916_134723-L.jpg

Tom

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing different.

Just a choice of what objects with heating elements to allow. Even Carnival doesn't ban all of them - they let you bring on personal grooming devices with heating elements.

• Like 1

When we began sailing Carnival I took my four cup travel coffee pot and it was confiscated.  One day at a meet n greet I asked the captain about the coffee pot rule and he said he didn’t even have a coffee pot in his cabin.   Carnival went through a period some years ago where they had several fires onboard.  I suspect that added to their ban of coffee pots, etc.