Cannes day trip to Nice

billyblaze

I will be in the Cannes port on Monday May 27 from 8am-6pm.

Most if not all of the cruise shore excursions are sold out.

Was only looking to get to Nice for a few hours.

How reliable is the train service or am i better off booking a driver?

Can I walk to the train from the port?

Not really in town too long and do not want to take a chance going too far away from Cannes.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi

I am going to visit Cannes too (but I will stay in the city)

I have seen there's a bus line from the Pier to La Croissette and it finish in Palm Beach. It runs every 15 minutes and it costs 1,70 euro

There are buses from the port (inner port, not the pier for cruises) direct to the train station. I do not know which option fits better.... but walking 500m only

I found this map

So, 

*** Cruise pier to La Croissette beach + 450m walking. You get on at "Mediterranée" and get off at "Palais des Congres". 500m walking to the station

*** Cruise pier to "Hotel de ville" stop (Town hall) for 250m (from Mediterranee stop). Later, bus to the station

centreville2021.jpg

• Like 1

We would walk from the pier to the station. It would depend on your mobility. The cruise terminal is beside where we would catch ferries to the islands.

The train service is fairly reliable. I think in the last two weeks I've seen four interruptions to service due to train breakdowns and people getting themselves hit by trains.

The timetable is here: https://ter-fiches-horaires.sncf.fr/publish/FH_04_Grasse_Cannes_Nice_Vintimille_du 23 mars 2024 au 14 décembre 2024_V20240328.pdf

TLJ is all days, L à V is Mon to Fri, SD is Sat & Sun, F is bank holidays.

Posted (edited)

On 4/21/2024 at 10:44 PM, D&N said:

We would walk from the pier to the station. It would depend on your mobility. The cruise terminal is beside where we would catch ferries to the islands.

The train service is fairly reliable. I think in the last two weeks I've seen four interruptions to service due to train breakdowns and people getting themselves hit by trains.

The timetable is here: https://ter-fiches-horaires.sncf.fr/publish/FH_04_Grasse_Cannes_Nice_Vintimille_du 23 mars 2024 au 14 décembre 2024_V20240328.pdf

TLJ is all days, L à V is Mon to Fri, SD is Sat & Sun, F is bank holidays.

Thank you.

I would always walk (except if I am hurry).

But I will be on a family group in Cannes. My sister has two small children. I remember she asked me about taxis just in case, I glanced and I said.... you can, but I guess bus option is a nice and cheaper alternative too

BTW, where exactly tenders leaves you?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, alserrod said:

43.54650618773531, 7.014551963567566

These are the map coordinates.

It's known as Quay Laubeuf and the tender point is just beside where ferries to Ile Sainte Marguerite depart from.

IMG_20220831_144316644.thumb.jpg.d2062f60890939debd496f87cec183cb.jpg

Edited by D&N
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, alserrod said:

Look at the google map link I posted above in post #5. It has a walking route to the station that starts at Embarcadère Île Sainte Marguerite.  The tenders drop off a few steps away.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2024 at 8:27 PM, billyblaze said:

I will be in the Cannes port on Monday May 27 from 8am-6pm.

Most if not all of the cruise shore excursions are sold out.

Was only looking to get to Nice for a few hours.

How reliable is the train service or am i better off booking a driver?

Can I walk to the train from the port?

Not really in town too long and do not want to take a chance going too far away from Cannes.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I spent a week in Nice not long ago and had a cruise stop in Cannes on a Celebrity cruise. 

In my experience, train service is quite frequent and reliable as long as there are no strikes (check beforehand). There may be some delays so I would not cut it close. 

You can easily walk from the port in Cannes to the train station and getting to Nice should be no problem (I went to Villefranche without any issues). However, you could consider staying in Cannes for the day if you are worried as there is plenty to see and do there.