South Coast or Golden Circle from Reykjavik

With my one full day in Reykjavik pre-cruise, I've booked a South Coast tour. Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon and Diamond Beach look more dramatic (and maybe less touristy?) to me than the Golden Circle stops, but now I'm second-guessing. Will I be missing out on the best/most iconic sights by forgoing the Golden Circle? Planning to do Blue Lagoon and explore Reykjavik the day before.

• Like 1

South coast might be less crowded. I have not yet gone and, to be fair, we're doing Golden Circle (self driving) on our day in Reykjavik. I kind of liken it to going to Yellowstone but not stopping to see Old Faithful and Mammoth Hot Springs.

But there is so much more to Yellowstone than one can see in a day, and those sights are not all there is. Just like the South coast has some pretty impressive looking stuff. It's a hard choice. 

For us, I think we'll save up and come back and do whatever we didn't do before. Cruising to Iceland is like just a sampler.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2024 at 9:28 PM, Tbird1969 said:

With my one full day in Reykjavik pre-cruise, I've booked a South Coast tour. Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon and Diamond Beach look more dramatic (and maybe less touristy?) to me than the Golden Circle stops, but now I'm second-guessing. Will I be missing out on the best/most iconic sights by forgoing the Golden Circle? Planning to do Blue Lagoon and explore Reykjavik the day before.

The glacier lagoon is amazing, especially if you take the boat ride, as you are able to be very close to the icebergs.  The south coast tour will likely also include time at the two waterfalls, Skogafass and Seljalandsfoss, and time in Vik.  The south coast has beautiful black sand beaches.  Sometimes you can see seals right by the shore. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

They are BOTH excellent and you can't go wrong with either selection. 

We have done them both but when we go next time we will probably go with the South Coast again.  Be sure to bring a rain coat and go behind the waterfall on the South Coast...so cool!  Black Sand Beach is amazing as well.  We just liked it better 🙂

With the Golden Circle there is a lot of driving AND lots of tourists.  It is still great.

FYI MANY people love the idea of the Blue Lagoon and to us it sounds horrible lol     Everyone is different but, once again, you cant go wrong in your choice.  Have a great time

Edited by VacationCharlene
  • Like 2

On 4/21/2024 at 9:28 PM, Tbird1969 said:

I'm confused by this.  According to Google the Lagoon is over 9 hours round trip without stops.  It must be an awfully long tour.  

4 minutes ago, ericosmith said:

I'm confused by this.  According to Google the Lagoon is over 9 hours round trip without stops.  It must be an awfully long tour.  

14 hours

10 hours ago, ericosmith said:

It's about a 14 hour tour from Reykjavik.  The most recent one we did was in August 2022 through Gray Line and, if I recall correctly, these were the stops:

• A cafe for a snack/restroom break
  • Skogafass (waterfall)
  • Vik for an extended break
  • Jokulsarlon glacial lagoon
  • The diamond beach
  • Vik for another extended break
  • Seljalandsfoss (waterfall)
  • Like 1

Jokulsarlon is amazing.  But a one day trip to there and back is SO much bus time!  And you pass by glaciers and national parks and waterfalls and other gorgeous things

There are great South Coast 1 day tours that don't drive all the way to the lagoon that I would recommend over a Jokulsarlon trip.  And the Golden Circle is terrific.