Carnival Pride - April 28 sailing - help ? ? ? !

For those who have sailed out of Norfolk on Pride or Legend or those about to sail Pride out of Norfolk . . .

HELP!

For my 4/28 sailing on Pride, we had been notified that we would get an update email one-week before sailing. Well, we got the email yesterday and it is completely useless and lacking information.

1. The only itinerary you can access from the email is the original, listing departure from Baltimore.

2. There is NO mention anywhere of a Norfolk departure.

3. Thinking I would get insight from the parking info button, I clicked. It lists all Carnival ports and their available parking.

4, The button for Cedar Grove contains outdated information with NO adjustment/update for the current situation.

The sailing is in 6 days and we have NO relevant information from Carnival!

Might anyone who has recently sailed after being rescheduled to Norfolk or anyone who is about to sail Pride able to fill in the blanks?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Like 1

We are on the same sailing. The Key Bridge Response web page was updated today to show the temporary channel is cleared above and below the surface. So I hope we hear something tomorrow. 

• Like 1

I second JMAE and there’s a third channel announced today but I’m also confused because I found this https://www.norfolk.gov/6030/Cruises and I live in Norfolk and they are talking like the pride is returning here from its current cruise (the morning news likes to broadcast with the Norfolk port in the background and they talk about the ships coming/going) so as the above poster says, hopefully some kind of confirmation from carnival soon regarding what the plan will be….

1 hour ago, Umwakichwa said:

I second JMAE and there’s a third channel announced today but I’m also confused because I found this https://www.norfolk.gov/6030/Cruises and I live in Norfolk and they are talking like the pride is returning here from its current cruise (the morning news likes to broadcast with the Norfolk port in the background and they talk about the ships coming/going) so as the above poster says, hopefully some kind of confirmation from carnival soon regarding what the plan will be….

That's crossed my mind, also. How would turnaround be handled with a port shift?

John. 
I'm with you guys in this cruise. We callled carnival haven’t gotten a definitive answer. In case you need it the parking lot address for the Norfolk port is 1000 Monticello Avenue, Norfolk, VA 23510. If I hear anything I’ll update you guys.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JMAE said:

We are on the same sailing. The Key Bridge Response web page was updated today to show the temporary channel is cleared above and below the surface. So I hope we hear something tomorrow. 

The third channel is 20 feet deep and the Pride has a draft of 25 feet,  Baltimore won't be an option until the 35 foot channel is opened, possibly at the end of the month of April.  Carnival might wait until the main 50 foot deep channel is opened towards the end of May.

Hope everyone enjoys the cruise on the 28th!  Wish I was going!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PC 462 said:

The third channel is 20 feet deep and the Pride has a draft of 25 feet,  Baltimore won't be an option until the 35 foot channel is opened, possibly at the end of the month of April.  Carnival might wait until the main 50 foot deep channel is opened towards the end of May.

Hope everyone enjoys the cruise on the 28th!  Wish I was going!!

According to the Unified Commend Response Progress Graphic on the response webpage they are showing the channel with the 35' draft as cleared above and below the surface.  The 20' channel is the channel show on the right in the graphic. The area that shows clear in the main channel is the limited access with a depth of 35'.  My guess the cruise line does not want to get ahead of the politicians on this announcement.  The graphic changed yesterday afternoon, as of me typing this note no news release issued.  I anticipate news conference be conducted before CCL makes an announcement.    

image.thumb.png.7e0cf23d0ab3736f66647e73ddc1f167.png

• Like 2

We sail on the May 5th cruise. Just need the time of the transfer shuttle from Baltimore to Norfolk. I don’t want to travel 41/2 hours to Baltimore and miss the shuttle. Thanks!!!

Hoping you all have a WONDERFUL time on your cruise! It doesn't affect me, but I'm so glad that the fine people in Norfolk were able to spring into action and set it all up for the Baltimore passengers to sail from Norfolk while the bridge debris field is searched and safely removed. It really is incredible that, all things considered, cruising didn't miss a beat. 22 year old me would've flipped my s**t. 47 year old me is happy for the ability to improvise, adapt and carry on.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Below is a copy of the email received.  Hope this helps, keep in mind the details may change. 

April 23, 2024 

Dear Carnival Pride Guest,

Thank you for your patience as we worked through the plans regarding your upcoming cruise. We continue to stay in close contact with the U.S. Coast Guard, state of Maryland and Port of Baltimore officials regarding plans to resume maritime operations in Baltimore Harbor and appreciate your patience.

We have been advised that we will not be able to operate your cruise from Baltimore. Therefore, we have made arrangements to sail from and return to Norfolk, Virginia. As you know, this situation remains beyond our control. As a token of our appreciation for your understanding, we will be posting a US$100, per stateroom, onboard credit to your Sail & Sign® account.  

Below are the details of our revised embarkation plans. The address for Norfolk’s cruise terminal is:

Decker Half Moone Cruise Center 
One Waterside Drive, 
Norfolk, Virginia 23510

Directions and parking information can be found here

We are making arrangements for buses to take guests who need assistance with transportation from Baltimore to Norfolk, but prompt action to pre-register is required. Shuttle service will begin at 8:30 AM and the final bus will depart at 10:30 AM. We estimate that the ride will be approximately five hours and we will provide water and a light snack. Availability is limited to those who sign up ahead of time and you must register to secure your spot. If you need the service, please complete the registration here by 12:00 noon (ET), April 25. In the meantime, please sign up for text alerts by texting CCL1 to CRUISE (278473).  

Transportation service will also be offered back to Baltimore at the conclusion of the cruise.

Terminal arrival appointments will remain as planned, but we will extend overall embarkation timeframe to give everyone enough time to make it to Norfolk. In preparation for departure, all guests must be on board by 4:00 PM (ET).

We know this is an unexpected change of plans and we appreciate your understanding. The entire Carnival Pride team is looking forward to welcoming you aboard for a fun and memorable cruise. 

Sincerely,
Edited by JMAE
  • Thanks 1

If I'm reading this correctly, which I'm really not sure I am, the Pride won't be going into Baltimore until the full channel is open.

Carnival Pride has a displacement of 85,920 tons.

"vessels greater than 60,000 long tons of displacement will most likely not be allowed to transit"
REF: 
https://homeport.uscg.mil/Lists/Content/DispForm.aspx?ID=89633&Source=/Lists/Content/DispForm.aspx?ID=89633

5 hours ago, JMAE said:

According to the Unified Commend Response Progress Graphic on the response webpage they are showing the channel with the 35' draft as cleared above and below the surface.  The 20' channel is the channel show on the right in the graphic. The area that shows clear in the main channel is the limited access with a depth of 35'.  My guess the cruise line does not want to get ahead of the politicians on this announcement.  The graphic changed yesterday afternoon, as of me typing this note no news release issued.  I anticipate news conference be conducted before CCL makes an announcement.    

image.thumb.png.7e0cf23d0ab3736f66647e73ddc1f167.png

The news is that the 35 foot channel will open to traffic on Thursday!

I have been amazed with the steady and rapid progress that has been made.  When I first saw the wreckage after the collapse, I was wondering if it would be cleared before my cruise in SEPTEMBER!!

Simply wonderful and incredible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moparfiend said:

If I'm reading this correctly, which I'm really not sure I am, the Pride won't be going into Baltimore until the full channel is open.

Carnival Pride has a displacement of 85,920 tons.

"vessels greater than 60,000 long tons of displacement will most likely not be allowed to transit"
REF: 
https://homeport.uscg.mil/Lists/Content/DispForm.aspx?ID=89633&Source=/Lists/Content/DispForm.aspx?ID=89633

Yeah I mentioned in another thread that my sense of it is they are really only planning to allow mission critical vessels through the partial channel. Cruise traffic is not as important so it will have to wait.

16 minutes ago, PC 462 said:

The news is that the 35 foot channel will open to traffic on Thursday!

I have been amazed with the steady and rapid progress that has been made.  When I first saw the wreckage after the collapse, I was wondering if it would be cleared before my cruise in SEPTEMBER!!

Simply wonderful and incredible.

yeah don't get your hopes up.  IMO, based on the Unified Command occupying the cruise terminal for their command center, you won't see them vacate until the entire main channel is clear and ship is removed. Once that is done you should see it turn over to more local control, since the port will be open.

1 hour ago, bstel said:

yeah don't get your hopes up.  IMO, based on the Unified Command occupying the cruise terminal for their command center, you won't see them vacate until the entire main channel is clear and ship is removed. Once that is done you should see it turn over to more local control, since the port will be open.

they can rent office space in the area. it's not as if the cruise terminal overlooks the bridge collapse.

On 4/22/2024 at 8:25 PM, JMAE said:

I think this will help. We are on the May 5th Pride Cruise and will also be sailing out if Norfolk. "

Upcoming Carnival cruise date: April 28. The cruise terminal will open for embarking passengers at noon.

Designated cruise parking for Carnival passengers is located at the Cedar Grove lot (1000 Monticello Avenue). 

The parking rate is $15.00/day for passenger cars (up to 15 passenger vans) payable upon entry by cash or credit card. 

The lot will open for parking at 10 a.m. 

Shuttle buses will be provided to deliver passengers to the terminal, including a shuttle for persons with mobility issues. Luggage will be checked in and dropped to baggage handlers at the parking lot. Passengers must tag each bag using the bag tag instructions provided on the Carnival website."