Santorini Shore Excursion

lorimay

On 6/12/2024 at 6:53 AM, favoritevacation said:

We will be in Santorini next month on the Getaway and we are in port from 7 am until 8:30pm. The Epic arrives in the afternoon at 1:00 and leaves after us at 10pm. I booked an excursion with the ship to Oia, from 9am to noon, so that the ship will coordinate us getting up to Oia by bus. The tour ends in Fira and includes a cable car ticket. I thought that I would have a private guide meet us at the end of our three hour tour, at the Cable car,  and show us the rest of the island.

If our ship departs at 8:30, what time should we be on line for the cable car so that there is no stress getting back to the ship on time? Should I cancel the ship excursion and buy my own cable car tickets to meet a guide for an island tour that include Oia?  I’ve never been to santorini and am looking to simplify travel ( buying cable car tickets, getting off the ship, meeting a tour guide ) . We are a family group of 7. Thank you for your help! 

Go to cruisetimetables.com and click on Port Schedules and click on Santorini and then click on the date when the Getaway will be there.  There will be a list of all the ships that will be there.  Look at the times when the ship will be there and make your decision accordingly.

On 6/12/2024 at 9:53 AM, favoritevacation said:

We will be in Santorini next month on the Getaway and we are in port from 7 am until 8:30pm. The Epic arrives in the afternoon at 1:00 and leaves after us at 10pm. I booked an excursion with the ship to Oia, from 9am to noon, so that the ship will coordinate us getting up to Oia by bus. The tour ends in Fira and includes a cable car ticket. I thought that I would have a private guide meet us at the end of our three hour tour, at the Cable car,  and show us the rest of the island.

If our ship departs at 8:30, what time should we be on line for the cable car so that there is no stress getting back to the ship on time? Should I cancel the ship excursion and buy my own cable car tickets to meet a guide for an island tour that include Oia?  I’ve never been to santorini and am looking to simplify travel ( buying cable car tickets, getting off the ship, meeting a tour guide ) . We are a family group of 7. Thank you for your help! 

We have been to Santorini twice (and a third time coming up in September).  I would suggest getting your own cable car ticket and meeting your guide at the top  for an island tour for a full day tour.    That is what we did on our past two trips and it worked out perfectly.  We saw everything!  On our second trip there were six of us and our guide made a reservation at a wonderful, much, much less touristy restaurant.  Guides are expensive but in our opinion worth it, especially here!

How do you plan a time to meet a guide if you don’t know what time you’ll get to the top of the cable car meeting point? I’ve read that you need to get your tender tickets the day before and you can’t really plan what time you get off.  Is it easy to buy the cable car tickets, once you’ve taken the tender? Where do you buy them? Is there a long line to buy them? 

thank you so much for your help!

1 hour ago, favoritevacation said:

I’ve read that you need to get your tender tickets the day before and you can’t really plan what time you get off.  

I haven't been to Santorini with Oceania but only on 2,000 pax ships or a ferry.

In my experience local boats are used for transport to shore which carry more than a ship's tender does.

Also, those with ship's tours go to the ferry port and independents go to the port with the cable car.

I have not experienced delays in getting ashore independently. 

I haven't taken the cable car, but have caught the local boat from the port to Oia, which included a bus ride later in the day to Thira.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - we did enjoy our tour "Santorini Wines at Venetsanos Winery" which also included stops at Santos winery and Sigalos winery. Way more info starting at this post - click into the thread and scroll down for another post with a list of all the Santorini ships tours and where they start & end on the island. 

• Like 1