Malaria Pills

lopac

I would stongly suggest not asking for medical advice on these boards. Because you might have your own medical concerns, it's best to discuss these types of things with your own doctor. Malaria medications can have some serious side effects and interact negatively with any other meds you may be taking. Go to your own doctor and discuss this privately.

I went to Africa last year with a group of about 60 people. I took the pills....most others in my group received a "shot". I had a bad reaction from the pills (really bad sore joints)....no complaints from the ones who had shots! I also, cruised the internet (after the fact) and found out some really bad things about the pill. (Larium) ...but Kitty9 is right, please consult with your doctor....but even my Safari tour guide told me not to take Larium. Ask your doc about the shot. I hope I was a help.:)

I lived in Brazil three years. My advice would be to take insect spray at the very least for any trip to the Amazon. Malaria carrying mosquitos are not the only insects you will encounter.

When I lived in Brazil I had the ordeal of borrochudo bites several times. This insect leaves a bite that swells up to golf ball size or bigger and the entire area itches like crazy. If you are bitten in several places you have a real challenge. I couldn't find anything to stop the itch. The zelador of my apartment building told me to rub the old fashioned white Colgate on it and that seemed to help over a period of days.

Other insects that can irriate at the least are ants and stinging bees and wasps. Malaria is a risk in the Amazon area, but so is yellow fever to a lesser extent. We had to keep up to date on yellow fever vacinations when we lived there. There are also periodic outbreaks of mosquito-carried dengue fever (which I had in the Philippines) and sporadic cholera.

I'm not trying to scare you. I'm just saying be pro-active. Have insect spray and use it. Wear long sleeves if you can stand the heat. Check with your local public health department for travel health alerts for Brazil and get vaccinated if so advised.

We just got back from East Africa and it was recommended we take malaria medication also. I had read about bad reactions from Larium; we took a pill called Malorone which is supposed to have few or no reactions and got along great--no problems at all. We took it once a day starting two days before the trip and continuing for one week afterwards. Others in our group were taking what I believe was the same medication but in a different format as they only had to take one pill a week. Definitely check with a doctor, preferably one who specializes in travel medicine and do protect yourself.

We want to do the Amazon soon; have an amazing trip.

Let me echo others in talking with your doctor about the risks of any treatment.

Having said that, I took Lariam about 10 years ago on a trip in China. I did have some side effects involving my thought processes- my friend told me that I seemed to be drunk although I hadn't had any alchohol. I stopped taking them immediately and had no further issues.

Good luck finding a treatment that is right for you. Enjoy your trip!

Before you get with your physician, I suggest going to the US Centers for Disease Control site . Under travel they give information regarding their recommendations for medications for certain areas and which type of certain medications, i.e. the Amazon River area has a malaria strain which is resistant to some malaria medications.

I printed and took with me when I went to discuss with my doctor.

It's a very useful site. ww.cdc.gov if I remember correctly. If not just google.

Depending on where you cruise prior to the Amazon, the yellow fever innoculation could be mandatory.

We cruise in 31 days!!!

It's essential you get reliable advice. As above, there are various anti-malarial treatments, but not all are effective in all mosquito areas, and taking a useless remedy could be worse than none at all.

Your local medical practice should have all the latest recommendations - we are shortly leaving for Borneo, and as soon as we had booked, we made an appointment with our nurse for all the jabs and pills needed.

We lived in Nairobi, Kenya for three years back in the early seventies. At that time we took quinine pills for malaria the entire three years. I never had a side effect that I know of, nor did anyone else in our group of "expats."

Later on I did read that quinine pills are really bad. I can't remember the reason...liver damage or something. Still to take them for a short time, like a week, I don't know. The other thing, I don't know if quinine pills are even sold anymore. They may have proven to be too dangerous.

I know a couple of different folks who got malaria and I can tell you it isn't pretty in that chills phase. Plus malaria is a sneaky disease. It keeps coming back on you periodically. Very nasty. Do what you have to so you don't get it.

Archived