Live Report - Norwegian Viva Lisbon to Rome. April/May 2024

So glad you are enjoying the Viva. We are booked for 30 nights this September.  Went with vibe and spa passes and the upgraded beverage package so will take advantage of ship excursions.  Those add ons bumped the price of the cruises up considerably but i think they will make our vacation more enjoyable. Love your pics and posts. 

Someone had asked on a different thread about the availability of taxis in port. I didn’t notice them yesterday in Gibraltar, but there were a few today in Cádiz, right outside the port building.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A few notes on the ports so far.

As I mentioned yesterday we did a NCL your to avoid having to queue for the cable car. The tour was well worth it for the money.

My biggest issue was that as the tour didn’t start until 2pm we didn’t have time afterwards to go into town, which we would have liked. However the rain was only just stopping when we set off so it was fortunate that the tour was a little later.

I’d certainly recommend that as a way of getting an overview of Gibraltar.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Today is Cádiz. We dock right in the city and had originally planned to stay there but we added the “White Villages” tour, which we are currently on the coach back to the ship.

The tour was ok. You go to

two villages, Vejer de la Frontera and Conil de la Frontera. The first was nice, but the second was less picturesque. They are really small towns rather than villages. Personally I think there are many nicer places that we have visited in Europe (Rhodes, Santorini or just about anywhere in the Baltics, for example). We enjoyed the your but wouldn’t say it is essential.

When we get back to the ship we are going to head into Cádiz for an hour or two. It looked very nice when we drove out this morning.

Here are some pictures from Vejer de la Frontera:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6TKueFIAdU/?igsh=Z2szMHFobzd1azg2

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Someone had asked on a different thread about the availability of taxis in port. I didn’t notice them yesterday in Gibraltar, but there were a few today in Cádiz, right outside the port building.

that was ME! 🙂. thank you!

I’ve got to say that I really liked Cádiz. We had a great few hours just wandering around.

My wife has always really enjoyed seeing interesting flora, and has a particular interest in palm trees. I also enjoy seeing them and we joke that you can keep us occupied for ages just by planting a few trees in a garden.

Cadiz was perfect for this. Lots of really interesting and different trees.

The rest of the town was really nice as well. Certainly somewhere that I would like to revisit.

Here’s some pictures of various trees:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6UY04tIWWN/?igsh=MXF4YjA1emcxZ3N2Yw==

And here’s some other Cádiz pictures:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6UZBciITVB/?igsh=MWpvZXB1cnBrM2V1ag==

• Like 2

We are enjoying a quiet evening in tonight. Just nipping down to The Local when we need a top Up.

Dinner today was in Indulge. I’ve heard that it is difficult to get a table there but we had a choice today at about 7.30. I ordered Indian, which was really good. We will be back a few times.

It was a bit cold in Vibe this afternoon, as it has been for most of the cruise. We soon decamped down to the Local.

Another great day.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Today is Cádiz. We dock right in the city and had originally planned to stay there but we added the “White Villages” tour, which we are currently on the coach back to the ship.

The tour was ok. You go to

two villages, Vejer de la Frontera and Conil de la Frontera. The first was nice, but the second was less picturesque. They are really small towns rather than villages. Personally I think there are many nicer places that we have visited in Europe (Rhodes, Santorini or just about anywhere in the Baltics, for example). We enjoyed the your but wouldn’t say it is essential.

When we get back to the ship we are going to head into Cádiz for an hour or two. It looked very nice when we drove out this morning.

Here are some pictures from Vejer de la Frontera:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6TKueFIAdU/?igsh=Z2szMHFobzd1azg2

Was on the cruise before yours. I had booked the same excursion which was listed as 5 hours. Decided the night before to be a no show for several reasons. Instead, I spent a few hours walking Cadiz with two other solos which turned out to be quite enjoyable. We also had beverages and tapas at a restaurant sitting at an outdoor table. Glad to know I didn't miss anything.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, IrieBajan54 said:

Was on the cruise before yours. I had booked the same excursion which was listed as 5 hours. Decided the night before to be a no show for several reasons. Instead, I spent a few hours walking Cadiz with two other solos which turned out to be quite enjoyable. We also had beverages and tapas at a restaurant sitting at an outdoor table. Glad to know I didn't miss anything.

Yeah, you did ok. I don’t regret doing the tour as we also had time in Cádiz, but wouldn’t have regretted missing it.

• Like 1

Just a quick comment on the tours. We are taking 5 in total. The Gibraltar and Cádiz ones already mentioned, a Caves of Neria tomorrow, hop on hop off in Palma and the transfer to Florence.

The total cost of all 5 on those was £128 (around $150) for the two of us. My preference in a port is to do it ourselves, but sometimes a tour gets you places easier. Given those prices it just makes sense sometimes.

• Like 1

Cadiz brings back memories...

It was the one place in Spain we had paella. I was enjoying my lunch when Mrs. Schmoopie noticed the sign that said "No Credit Cards". Great...I had left all of our euros in the ship safe. Oops.

There were no ATMs in the immediate area (according to our waiter)...but luckily I spied a couple eating two tables away who we had passed several times on the ship. Being desperate (and more than a little sheepish), I asked if we could borrow some money and we'd pay them back when we returned to the ship. I was expecting a, "Are you serious? I don't hand money to strangers" reply. Instead, I got, "Sure...no problem. Is a hundred enough?" That couple ended up being on two of our excursions in the days that followed. I just hope he doesn't hunt me down for the 100 euros I still owe him 😁.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Another quick check in.

Today was Motril and we did the Caves of Nerja excursion. I would certainly recommend this one.

The caves themselves were spectacular. I have a link to photos but it is very difficult to show the scale in photos. We have been to a few caves around the world and there are some near our home, but I can’t think of any that we have been to that are on this scale. The rooms were massive and the formations are huge.

After the caves we had about 90 minutes in Nerja town, which was very nice. We decided not to do much so just found a bar for a couple of drinks. I also got a baguette with Iberico ham for lunch which was fantastic.

Today was the first day when the weather was warm enough to sit outside comfortably, so we spent a few hours in Vibe. A fun afternoon with a few shots thrown in. It’s been fun.

Just going to get ready for Onda tonight. Then we will probably be in the Local if anyone wants us. 🙂

Cave pictures here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6VvjdDoEts/?igsh=MTZlcGl3Y3VoajhtaQ==

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, I will be on Norwegian Viva on May 6th from Civitaveccia. I haven't  been on a cruise since 2015 and never been on Norwegian cruise. Do they still allow people to bring a box of water bottles on board? Where can I get main dining room daily menus? I booked Le Bistro for one night and I love Escargot. Do we have to reserve Icons production show? Do we reserve comedy show or just stay in line? Sorry about so many questions. Any help would be appreciated.

11 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Another quick check in.

Today was Motril and we did the Caves of Nerja excursion. I would certainly recommend this one.

The caves themselves were spectacular. I have a link to photos but it is very difficult to show the scale in photos. We have been to a few caves around the world and there are some near our home, but I can’t think of any that we have been to that are on this scale. The rooms were massive and the formations are huge.

After the caves we had about 90 minutes in Nerja town, which was very nice. We decided not to do much so just found a bar for a couple of drinks. I also got a baguette with Iberico ham for lunch which was fantastic.

Today was the first day when the weather was warm enough to sit outside comfortably, so we spent a few hours in Vibe. A fun afternoon with a few shots thrown in. It’s been fun.

Just going to get ready for Onda tonight. Then we will probably be in the Local if anyone wants us. 🙂

Cave pictures here:

Sounds like a fun day!  I just looked at the NCL app to see the excursion you did to possibly book it and it is already sold out.... I was waiting too long.  I thought I should check out the Alhambra while in Motril.... which I think may be too much for my kids.  I am curious to find out how Onda was!

You guys seem like very easy going, positive, fun loving people who will have a good time no matter what!

Enjoy the rest of your cruise and can't wait to hear about the next port!  I booked some catamaran boating and snorkeling in Ibiza... which I have to make it to the meeting point on our own...  I would appreciate it if you can hint me how the transportation is at the port!

Anywayz, have a good night!

2 hours ago, eugemart said:

Hi, I will be on Norwegian Viva on May 6th from Civitaveccia. I haven't  been on a cruise since 2015 and never been on Norwegian cruise. Do they still allow people to bring a box of water bottles on board? Where can I get main dining room daily menus? I booked Le Bistro for one night and I love Escargot. Do we have to reserve Icons production show? Do we reserve comedy show or just stay in line? Sorry about so many questions. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, I am not the OP but both the Icons show and comedy show says " Reservations are not offered" meaning, it is just first come first serve?  I was just guessing!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eugemart said:

They don’t allow you to take any drinks onboard except for wine where there is a corkage fee (which is waived if you have the beverage package). We did see people buying water at the port in Cádiz and they weren’t checking what people were carrying on very much, so maybe those people got it through, but if you do take some then be prepared for it to be confiscated,

The main dining room menus are posted at the restaurant during the day, and I have heard that you can ask to see them

earlier in the cruise (but have never heard tried that myself). Googling will show you what the menus are like but there are about 20 MDR menus that they can choose between so you won’t know which will be used on which day.

The Icons show doesn’t appear to be reservable and nor does the comedy show. The comedy venue looks fairly small so you may have to get there early for a good seat.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

They don’t allow you to take any drinks onboard except for wine where there is a corkage fee (which is waived if you have the beverage package). We did see people buying water at the port in Cádiz and they weren’t checking what people were carrying on very much, so maybe those people got it through, but if you do take some then be prepared for it to be confiscated,

The main dining room menus are posted at the restaurant during the day, and I have heard that you can ask to see them

earlier in the cruise (but have never heard tried that myself). Googling will show you what the menus are like but there are about 20 MDR menus that they can choose between so you won’t know which will be used on which day.

The Icons show doesn’t appear to be reservable and nor does the comedy show. The comedy venue looks fairly small so you may have to get there early for a good seat.

Thank you so much.

On 4/29/2024 at 12:16 PM, KeithJenner said:

Another quick check in.

Cave pictures here:

I am doing the exact same itinerary as you on the Viva in September. I also chose this excursion for Motril. Thank you for the feedback! It makes me even more excited to see the caves. You never know what you're going to get with these excursions. It's the only one I've booked so far.

I could claim that I’ve not been on here for a while as I’ve been so busy, but that would be a lie.

After a heavy night in the Local yesterday we had a lie in and then spent most of the day reading.

We went back to Indulge for dinner today. We were still in port at the time and it was once again very quiet in there.

After three days of tours we had decided to have a quiet day onboard the ship today, and that is certainly what we achieved, it was just a shame that the weather was a little colder than was ideal for much of the day.

We have the Hop on hop off bus booked tomorrow in Palma so hopefully we should have a good day.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, smilegirl07 said:

Sounds like a fun day!  I just looked at the NCL app to see the excursion you did to possibly book it and it is already sold out.... I was waiting too long.  I thought I should check out the Alhambra while in Motril.... which I think may be too much for my kids.  I am curious to find out how Onda was!

You guys seem like very easy going, positive, fun loving people who will have a good time no matter what!

Enjoy the rest of your cruise and can't wait to hear about the next port!  I booked some catamaran boating and snorkeling in Ibiza... which I have to make it to the meeting point on our own...  I would appreciate it if you can hint me how the transportation is at the port!

Anywayz, have a good night!

I enjoyed Onda yesterday. We like Italian, and have always enjoyed La Cucina on other ships.

However, we have two reservations there this cruise but are going to see if we can change the second one to Food Republic as we enjoyed that so much. I wouldn’t put you off of Onda though.

As I mentioned in my last post we didn’t go into Ibiza today but I did have a quick look at the transport options. There is a shuttle bus into town that I believe has a small charge (a few Euros) and there were a few taxis there when I looked. You should be able to get into town.

• Like 1