Free Airfare and Arriving Day of Cruise-Viking

ricka47

We are doing our first river cruise next year, and I put a deposit down today. The price included free airfare. We board on 7/1/25, and the flight arrives the same day.

Last year, we did a British Isles cruise, booked our own air, and spent four nights in London pre-cruise on our own. That's an option with this one, but with the free air, the cost of a pre-cruise stay with Viking is very expensive.

So, it's a 14-night cruise starting in Budapest with an overnight stay, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with using the cruise line airfare arriving the day of boarding the cruise.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

We are doing our first river cruise next year, and I put a deposit down today. The price included free airfare. We board on 7/1/25, and the flight arrives the same day.

Last year, we did a British Isles cruise, booked our own air, and spent four nights in London pre-cruise on our own. That's an option with this one, but with the free air, the cost of a pre-cruise stay with Viking is very expensive.

So, it's a 14-night cruise starting in Budapest with an overnight stay, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with using the cruise line airfare arriving the day of boarding the cruise.

Absolutely - we have done free air arriving the day of the cruise and paid for air arriving the day of the cruise.  To this point we have never encountered a problem.

Even with Free Air, you can opt to do one or two nights on your own (not Viking's package) in advance if you are fearful of arriving the same day as the cruise embarks.

You will pay a deviation fee of $100 pp and then buy Air Plus at $150 pp so you will spend $500 to arrive a day or two early - if you don't buy Viking's pre package.  Plus of course your hotel, meals, and transportation to the hotel from the airport and then to the ship.  Sometimes when you add up all these things the Viking package is not that much more.  Sometimes...

Since you have an overnight stay in Budapest - if I understood correctly - then I would just opt to arrive the day of.  If for any reason you are delayed, you have the extra day so you won't miss much.

Edited by CDNPolar

Flights are always included in our bookings with Viking. We've always arrived on the day of the cruise and it's been fine. Better than fine really. Last time our flight was delayed and we worried about getting to the ship. No need to worry. A staff member was waiting for us. Our cases were immediately taken and we didn't see them until in our cabin. Lovely transport with cool water provided and on to the ship. Lovely!

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, ricka47 said:

Viking will book flights that get you to your ship on time. Flights from USA to Europe are mostly over nighters so you should have no problem in getting to your ship during the day even if you have to fly via some European gateway.

Budapest airport to the boat is about 30 minutes.

What puzzles me is that I cannot find any cruises that match a 14 night cruise with an overnight stay in a hotel. Grand European Tour is shown as 15 days and starts with an overnight on the boat in Budapest;  is that the one you are one?

Edited by pontac

6 minutes ago, pontac said:

Viking will book flights that get you to your ship on time. Flights from USA to Europe are mostly over nighters so you should have no problem in getting to your ship during the day even if you have to fly via some European gateway.

Budapest airport to the boat is about 30 minutes.

What puzzles me is that I cannot find any cruises that match a 14 night cruise with an overnight stay in a hotel. Grand European Tour is shown as 15 days and starts with an overnight on the boat in Budapest;  is that the one you are one?

That's the one - 15 days.

On 4/25/2024 at 12:04 PM, ricka47 said:

Personally I would recommend paying the deviation fee and going a couple of days early. You can get yourself to a hotel you book yourself and save money over Vikings arrangements.  Budapest is a lovely city, easy to get around on the tram with many things to see and do.  This also helps you get over jet lag before you actually start your river cruise. Chose a hotel near a tram line.  Do a tour of the Parliament, see the market, enjoy a soak in one of the baths, spend time at the shoes of the Danube memorial. 

We fly one or two days early depending on the time of year.  In winter months (North America) where weather can impact flight reliability, we go a day or two early.  During the summer months (North America) and flying to Europe, we fly to arrive the day of the embarkation.