Newbie here - advice needed

Newbie here as have cruised on Cunard but have not travelled before on P&O - looking at some good itineraries on Arcadia and Aurora ( as not too huge) for Med in 2025.  So just a few questions if anyone can help - apologies if they are stupid !

Contentious perhaps but are gratuities optional - Cunard add on but you can choose to remove at purser’s if you prefer to do your own.

Drinks - are the packages worth it ? As I’ve no idea on individual drinks prices on P&O - for two of us we’d probably each have maybe 2 coffees, plus 3 gin/tonic and 2 cocktail - so times that by two. 

Any help appreciated! Thank you.

No grats on P&O.

Personally I don’t think the drinks package is worth it. The prices are standard UK City prices, and don’t add tax and service on, so relatively reasonable. It depends on if your G&Ts are double G and use a whole T every time: you might be borderline for making it worthwhile. There are drinks menus with prices on here and also places like Cruise Mummy and Emma Cruises websites have details too, including calculators.

3 minutes ago, watsonbeau said:

Newbie here as have cruised on Cunard but have not travelled before on P&O - looking at some good itineraries on Arcadia and Aurora ( as not too huge) for Med in 2025.  So just a few questions if anyone can help - apologies if they are stupid !

Contentious perhaps but are gratuities optional - Cunard add on but you can choose to remove at purser’s if you prefer to do your own.

Drinks - are the packages worth it ? As I’ve no idea on individual drinks prices on P&O - for two of us we’d probably each have maybe 2 coffees, plus 3 gin/tonic and 2 cocktail - so times that by two. 

Gratuities are included in the fare, so it's totally up to you if you feel their service has been outstanding.

Drinks prices are fairly reasonable, although rising steadily, so unless you are big drinkers it's better to pay as you go, and their is no gratuity uplift on the bar prices.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, watsonbeau said:

Tips are included in the price of a P&O cruise. The drinks prices are considerably less on P&O than Cunard plus their is no added tax/tip on each drink with P&O. The example you have given for drinks may make the drinks package worthwhile especially if there is an offer on the drinks package (currently 10%), however you would need to drink that every day to make the package work for you.

Thank you. Interesting about the gratuities ! Drinks - maybe - but if a lot of ports perhaps not needed. Good advice.

Like the look of both Aurora and Arcadia - any thoughts or preferences? Thanks

1 minute ago, watsonbeau said:

Thank you. Interesting about the gratuities ! Drinks - maybe - but if a lot of ports perhaps not needed. Good advice.

Like the look of both Aurora and Arcadia - any thoughts or preferences? Thanks

I try to cruise exclusively on these two as I prefer adults only, and quieter, ships. Love both of them. Very popular though, which is why they are more expensive than the large ships, unfortunately! 

• Like 3

They are both similar size to Victoria and Elizabeth so not too huge. I know the bigger ones are theoretically cheaper but I don’t fancy being onboard a monster with 5000+ onboard. Even QM2 has half that despite being large. Thank you.

Classic drinks package would be borderline for you and the choice of cocktails is fairly limited unless you upgrade to the Deluxe

If you can find a deal including OBC you might find that would take care of a big chunk of your bar bill 

• Like 1

There has/intend to be an across the board price rise which will affect the drinks prices and speciality dining.  Currently boarding Britannia today AndyMichelle are going to source new bar menus and post on their thread so worth looking at before deciding on the drinks package.

I assume you are used to Cunard's somewhat enormous wine and drinks menus and you may find the choices of gins etc somewhat small in the Classic drinks package.  The deluxe drinks package will offer more choice in brands although it too is considerably smaller than Cunard's.

Regarding the ships both are scheduled for a large investment and upgrade, Arcadia in November 2024 and Aurora in April 2025.  It was stated this will be major" so hopefully both will be in tip top shape.

For familiarity Arcadia of course was meant to be Queen Victoria whereas Aurora is unique and one of the last of her breed.  I have not travelled on either but have taken the plunge on an August Aurora cruise this year, chosen on itinerary.

• Like 1

They both sound like they would suit. Not too picky with gin - that’s himself so Gordon’s or Bombay sapphire is his usual - for me Pina Colada or Negroni so guessing they are not too tricky to find. No idea about dining, MDR is ok or buffet. I know p&o offer more specialty restaurants so they could be an occasional option. How does anytime dining work for MDR ? Do they use an onboard website like the Cunard thing or is there an app ? Sorry for too many questions!  Thank you 

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, watsonbeau said:

They both sound like they would suit. Not too picky with gin - that’s himself so Gordon’s or Bombay sapphire is his usual - for me Pina Colada or Negroni so guessing they are not too tricky to find. No idea about dining, MDR is ok or buffet. I know p&o offer more specialty restaurants so they could be an occasional option. How does anytime dining work for MDR ? Do they use an onboard website like the Cunard thing or is there an app ? Sorry for too many questions!  Thank you 

That's an excellent example. The classic drinks package includes P&O's own brand gin and not Bombay Sapphire.  The "app" is indeed the halfway house the same as Cunard's.  However I have found the Cunard one more helpful with additional information such as the daily programme and spa bookings shown in it.  P&O's is rather more basic with these items not showing.  You can book dinner slots on it in the same way as the Cunard one, it shows restaurant availability, theatre information, your onboard account  log in to your wifi, and book/see excursion availability.  I'm unsure why - could be number actually using it - but although an identical set up the Cunard one seems to be more reliable.  

Not having sailed on the two smaller ships to date I cannot say how the freedom dining options work on them, but there have been reports it can be messy on Arcadia.  However a lot seems to depend on your choice of dining time, we dine earlier and have had no problems with freedom dining on Britannia or Azura yet others report that they have encountered troubles on the former.  Ironically my biggest delay in getting a table in recent times was on QM2 last year so really it is more likely governed by numbers and times than a precise science.

Edited by Megabear2

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

That's an excellent example. The classic drinks package includes P&O's own brand gin and not Bombay Sapphire.  The "app" is indeed the halfway house the same as Cunard's.  However I have found the Cunard one more helpful with additional information such as the daily programme and spa bookings shown in it.  P&O's is rather more basic with these items not showing.  You can book dinner slots on it in the same way as the Cunard one, it shows restaurant availability, theatre information, your onboard account  log in to your wifi, and book/see excursion availability.  I'm unsure why - could be number actually using it - but although an identical set up the Cunard one seems to be more reliable.  

Not having sailed on the two smaller ships to date I cannot say how the freedom dining options work on them, but there have been reports it can be messy on Arcadia.  However a lot seems to depend on your choice of dining time, we dine earlier and have had no problems with freedom dining on Britannia or Azura yet others report that they have encountered troubles on the former.  Ironically my biggest delay in getting a table in recent times was on QM2 last year so really it is more likely governed by numbers and times than a precise science.

The daily programme is on the P&O version. Or it was on Ventura in Jan. I think the spa is on as well but ask I dont use the spa not 100%

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daiB said:

The daily programme is on the P&O version. Or it was on Ventura in Jan. I think the spa is on as well but ask I dont use the spa not 100%

That's good. Unfortunately not on Britannia in January or surprisingly Arvia last May.  Strangely the thermal suite did show in our diary but not treatment 

2 hours ago, daiB said:

It was on Arvia three weeks ago,  also the daily newspaper was available to read. There was a spa symbol on the home screen, although I didn't use it. 

Posted (edited)

re your requests for information about dining - both these ships, and Ventura, also have fixed dining - i.e a reserved table seat at a fixed time for the whole of the cruise for dinner (not lunchtime or breakfast - they are unreserved) - and two sessions: first sitting (6.30pm) and second sitting (8.30pm), and you choose which sitting you want when booking (we have never had anything else in 25 years on P&O other than first sitting).

You can also ask for table size (2, 4, 6, or eight) when booking. There are no guarantees that you will get your choice but if you book on first release day you are probably going to be O.K.

We don't use the Buffet for dinner, aways MDR, but do use it often for breakfast and lunch, although both meals can be taken in the dining room - unreserved - which is more civilised. We just can't eat as much as we used to so snack instead. I call the Buffet the "Works Canteen" as it reminds me of an earlier experience in a manufacturing industry, but its alright. Some hate it (scrum) - others like its flexibility.

Edited by bbtablet
additions
  • Like 1

That’s helpful. 6:30 is about right as not too early. Enjoy MDR but would use buffet if late bsck from a port. The early on Cunard is 6pm which is a bit too early so lately have used the anytime. So this could be a good choice. Thsnk you.

On 4/26/2024 at 11:04 AM, Megabear2 said:

That's good. Unfortunately not on Britannia in January or surprisingly Arvia last May.  Strangely the thermal suite did show in our diary but not treatment 

The Horizon was on the app when we were on Britannia in February but it took me a couple of days to find out where it was as it wasn’t immediately obvious.

• Like 1

Another thing to consider with drink packages is how many port days there are versus sea days. 

Also if you do decide to buy, there's the option of purchasing on day 2 (unless this has changed during the last year) 

We tend to find that during the first few days of a cruise (we usually go from Southampton so these are sea days) we would possibly break even, but overall it's better value for us to pay as we go.