CB in July? Worth it? To go or not to go...

InSearchOfSunshine

Hi! Ok, here's the deal. I am a senior in High School and for my graduation gift, i asked to go on a cruise. I've been on 2 before, but both were during early spring, so i wonder this: is it worth it to go in summer and risk the hurricane business, potential cruise shortening, and rough seas?

I REALLY want to go in summer, but if it would be better we could go next thanksgiving or christmas. sheesh, i dont want to wait that long! ive already bought a fair amount of clothing for it, and im sure you all know how the food situation is in college.:) i wouldnt want to get fat off cafeteria food in the first couple months and then not fit into any of my dresses! bad news. anyway, off on a tangent here, the ultimate question is this: CB in July or CB in November/December? i anxiously await your responses... many thanks!

Kristen

Hi! Ok, here's the deal. I am a senior in High School and for my graduation gift, i asked to go on a cruise. I've been on 2 before, but both were during early spring, so i wonder this: is it worth it to go in summer and risk the hurricane business, potential cruise shortening, and rough seas?

Go in the summer, when you want. Go with the knowledge that a hurricane might alter your itinerary. You might miss one or all the ports.

That's the bad news. The good news? You'll be on a cruise! The ship will sail around the bad weather. The ship may (or may not) stop at alternate ports. But you'll be on a cruise. Enjoy!

Kristen,

Hurricanes on or after Thanksgiving week are quite rare, especially large ones. Officially, the so-called "hurricane season" ends November 30, and with the frequency diminishing as the end of the season approaches, the last week of November and December are usually storm-free.

During the worst hurricane season in U.S. history (alas, this past year), there were actually three classified tropical storms on and after the last week of November, but none was particularly large or destructive. Unless you are one of those people whose only luck always seems to be bad luck, you should do fine during any of the three times you are considering.

Bill

We're going July 8....my niece who's traveling with us is graduating also and I'm sure they'll be lots of others your age as well.

As for hurricanes..you just never know, but they don't usually kick up until August. Early July would be your best bet.

Hope you get to go...you'll love it!

Actually you can't go wrong, Alaska or the Caribbean in July is great. We are not just graduating from high school, but started celebrating our anniversary month on cruises.

We were on the Eastern route year before last and doing the Western route this year. Like mentioned before, they sail around the weather and even if you miss a port you are on board and having a wonderful time in the sun and water.

Enjoy yourself, whenever you decide to go.

As another said, the ship will adjust the trip to avoid a hurricane. The bigger question of it effecting Port Everglades. It unusual for Florida for fear a hurricane in July (although this past July proved it can happen). I would suggest investing in trip insurance just in case.

I think Laurashelby does not have it exactly right. Early July is at least as likely as late November -- perhaps slightly more likely. However, neither is very likely, and late December is certainly the most unlikely.

June 1 to Nov 30 is the H-season (97% of all hurricanes have been within this period), with August, September and October the most likely for these storms (78% of all storms, but 96% of the major ones have been during these 3 months). So early July is one month into the season and late November is the very end. I have seen published reports that Sept 10th is the statistical midpoint, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if other studies moved it a little earlier or later.

Of course, there is still the remaining 3% - the real flukes. In 2005 there was a storm around Dec. 30th, and in 2003, Ana was named on April 20th, both extraordinary dates for a tropical storm.

The bottom line is that all three of your proposed dates are very safe. Choose the one which fits best into your schedule.

Bill

I remember an "unnamed" storm hitting Florida in February one year. I personally would not cruise in late August through mid October, but otherwise I would take the chance. We are cruising July 1st!!!

Wow! Thanks so much for all the responses! You guys are so helpful!! Ok, so it sounds like early July should be pretty safe! Excellent! I'm so excited! Hopefully there isn't another crazy season this year... but I usually have good luck with that sort of thing.:)

Well, anyway, we were actually considering Alaska because my grandma went and loved it, but then i realized that that isnt exactly the best place for getting a suntan and there will be 3 teenage girls on this cruise. Getting a suntan is like the top summer priority for teenage girls (right up there with "meet boys";) LOL)

Anyway I'm so thankful for all the info and suggestions! Also glad to know that others are going and/or have gone in July...successfully! Wahoo... I'm off to buy more clothes! Thanks again, everyone! You all are great!

Oh, one more thing. If there is a hurricane but the ship goes elsewhere, is the water still really choppy? And does it rain a lot? I actually kind of like rain, but just wondering!

Kristen

Kristen,

I am afraid your question is impossible to answer.

Young and "middle-aged" hurricanes are usually rather sharply defined, and until you get within a half diameter of their centers, you may have lovely sunny weather. On the other hand, as they dissipate, they can spread rain over quite a broad poorly-defined area, but with much reduced wind.

The main question, if a hurricane comes near the intended route of your cruise, would be how far the captain chooses to alter his route. and, of course, the additional uncertainty of the storm making an unexpected deviation in its path. Who can predict any of that?

I am considering a Caribbean cruise next October. Whether or not I go will depend on whether I can afford to be away from work at that time. I don't concern myself much about the weather. Que sera sera.

Bill

While most of Florida has been very lucky for many years, the trend is changing in the near future. Our hurricane season is expected to stay active...kinda like the "El Nino" of hurricanes. Be sure that your plane tickets can be adjusted accordingly. The ship may have to stay out at sea a few extra days or come in early due to a hurricane.

Definitely go for July. You are so lucky to be given a cruise for your high school graduation.

Not to be soap-boxy but I'm not 10 years out of high school and the minimal time I spent in the sun is already taking its toll... please use some sunscreen :)

Ok well I'm now almost positive we're going in July. Even if the route is altered, I'll still be on a cruise! I'm not too picky about which ports we go to... I just wouldnt want it to be shortened! Eeek! Lengthened i can handle:D

And about the sunburn/skin issue, no worries! I'm obsessed with sun screen. LOL;) They beat the skin cancer threats into our brains at school. I put it on like every hour! Anyway, thanks again everyone!

Archived