Best annual policy. TravelGuard VS Allianz.

Best annual policy.   TravelGuard VS Allianz.   Or???

I have 2 big trips coming up and would like an annual policy.   

60+ airily good healthy with a few existing conditions.     

13 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

This doesn't directly answer your question, but are you sure you want an annual policy?  Have you checked the various restrictions and limitations, in terms of total $$ limits and also how pre-existing conditions are handled (or not)?

As long as you fully understand the complete Terms and Conditions, then you should also be able to compare the policies.

Or is your question about the two insurers more generally, and not regarding the specific type of policy?

GC

Avoid TravelGuard like the plague.  

Don't take my word for it.  Look up people who tried to collect on Israel trips with TravelGuard compared to other insurance companies.

Do you own research.  Don't listen to anybody who wants to tell you great things about how quickly the company deposited the premiums but has no experience making a claim.  Don't take the word of random people on the internet without checking their claims (that includes everything I've said).

On 4/26/2024 at 10:08 PM, Cruise5life said:

Have you read the policies from these companies, and does either company offer what YOU are looking for?  What are you trying to cover? How many people? How expensive are your trips? What does your current medical insurance cover outside of the USA? .  . .

Neither company offers an annual policy that would work for me.

Allianz

• Offers four different policies with a variety of options for cancelation/interruption coverage.
  • The maximum cancelation/interruption coverage for three of the policies is $15K per POLICY per year (not per person)
  • The business (executive policy) lets you purchase up to $10K in cancelation/interruption coverage per PERSON per year.
  • Pre-existing condition lookback period of 120 days, but a pre-existing conditions waiver is available.
  • The most medical (secondary) coverage you can get is $50K per person per trip.  IMHO, it is too low if you don't have other medical coverage.

Travel Guard

• NO trip cancelation coverage and just $2,500 trip interruption per person per year.
  • Pre-existing condition lookback period of 60 days, and NO pre-existing conditions waiver is available.
  • Medical (primary) coverage is $50K per person per YEAR.  Way too low if you don't have other medical coverage.

In any of these policies, if you use up a benefit early in the year, you can't add on more coverage.  And, it may be too late to buy another plan especially if pre-existing conditions could come into play.

All other annual plans I have seen offer no more than $10K cancelation coverage per year.

If you care primarily about medical and evacuation coverage, look at one of the GeoBlue Trekker plans. Much better medical coverage than any other annual plan I have seen. But, it has no trip cancelation or interruption coverage.

If you care primarily about coverage other than medical, you might want to look at the insurance benefits of Chase Sapphire and Amex Platinum credit cards. They offer higher cancelation and interruption limits than the annual travel insurance plans. But they don't work for everyone. The biggest problem with these cards is pre-existing conditions for you, your travel companions and non-traveling family members are excluded with a 60 day lookback. So if you need to cancel or interrupt a trip due to a pre-existing condition, you won't be covered. The credit cards offer NO or very limited medical coverage. They also have somewhat fewer covered reasons for cancelation/interruption than most trip insurance policies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

Have you read the policies from these companies, and does either company offer what YOU are looking for?  What are you trying to cover? How many people? How expensive are your trips? What does your current medical insurance cover outside of the USA? .  . .

Neither company offers an annual policy that would work for me.

Allianz

• Offers four different policies with a variety of options for cancelation/interruption coverage.
  • The maximum cancelation/interruption coverage for three of the policies is $15K per POLICY per year (not per person)
  • The business (executive policy) lets you purchase up to $10K in cancelation/interruption coverage per PERSON per year.
  • Pre-existing condition lookback period of 120 days, but a pre-existing conditions waiver is available.
  • The most medical (secondary) coverage you can get is $50K per person per trip.  IMHO, it is too low if you don't have other medical coverage.

Travel Guard

• NO trip cancelation coverage and just $2,500 trip interruption per person per year.
  • Pre-existing condition lookback period of 60 days, and NO pre-existing conditions waiver is available.
  • Medical (primary) coverage is $50K per person per YEAR.  Way too low if you don't have other medical coverage.

In any of these policies, if you use up a benefit early in the year, you can't add on more coverage.  And, it may be too late to buy another plan especially if pre-existing conditions could come into play.

All other annual plans I have seen offer no more than $10K cancelation coverage per year.

If you care primarily about medical and evacuation coverage, look at one of the GeoBlue Trekker plans. Much better medical coverage than any other annual plan I have seen. But, it has no trip cancelation or interruption coverage.

If you care primarily about coverage other than medical, you might want to look at the insurance benefits of Chase Sapphire and Amex Platinum credit cards. They offer higher cancelation and interruption limits than the annual travel insurance plans. But they don't work for everyone. The biggest problem with these cards is pre-existing conditions for you, your travel companions and non-traveling family members are excluded with a 60 day lookback. So if you need to cancel or interrupt a trip due to a pre-existing condition, you won't be covered. The credit cards offer NO or very limited medical coverage. They also have somewhat fewer covered reasons for cancelation/interruption than most trip insurance policies.

So what travel insurance do you suggest.   
solo traveler.   61 with Medicare so no outside coverage.   
insuring 2 trips right now 1-5K and the second trip about 4K.   
no credit cards with coverage.  

17 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

So what travel insurance do you suggest.   
solo traveler.   61 with Medicare so no outside coverage.   
insuring 2 trips right now 1-5K and the second trip about 4K.   
no credit cards with coverage.  

If those are your only trips, take a look at a policy for each trip.  I would CALL tripinsurancestore.com and see what they can offer you.  

• Make sure you discuss your pre-existing conditions to see if the trip insurance would consider them a pre-existing condition.  Better yet see, if you qualify for a pre-existing conditions waiver so you do not need to worry about them.
  • Primary medical coverage (instead of secondary) would simplify the claims process.  With secondary you would probably have to file first with Medicare and get a denial before the trip insurance would process a medical claim.

You have provided some information here, but there are still too many variables for me or anyone else to recommend a specific plan on this forum.